Old 05-25-2014, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by 3d3dman
Joined Sep 2012
14 Posts
That sounds great.. Thank you, I look forward to seeing the pictures and ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhelidog View Post
3d3dman
I will take some pictures today and post them for you as to battery compartment ideas. And a few other pics as I am using Futaba Sbus setup. I made a custom wiring harness that consist of 16 and 20 gauge silicon wire with locking tabs for the wing servo connections and a few other ideas.. Hope it will help you.
3d3dman is offline Find More Posts by 3d3dman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-25-2014, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
3d3dman
As promised

Pic 1 thru 10
#1 This is the passenger side front of the aircraft as you can see there is foam padding cut and fit into the fuselage cell. I have one ignition and one flight battery in each cell of the aircraft. this fits in tight with no worry of movement.

#2 and #3 are alternate location for my ignition batteries, (one per side) if I want to move my CG around. Since I have not flown this yet I will keep everything were it is for the time being.

#4 Life packs, 3200 and 2100, 3200 are the flight batts and the 2100 are the ignition batts.
With a 50 OZ tank I should get some good flight time want to make sure I have the power to do so.

#5 top view of the open cell no foam. I used a piece of 1/8 balsa and cut it to fit into the bottom of the cell. as you can see in the bottom of the cell there is a cross member that will stop the insert before it reaches the bottom, This is good because you will use that to support your balsa floor. I glued the balsa in with some slow zap and went over it with some thin CA just to add a little strength. Then cut the foam to fit the bottom and one continuous for wrapping around the insides.

#6 and #7 Shows the raw cell and shows the cell in foam no batts.

#8 OK this one is for anyone that is reading this forum. why do I have a piece of fuel tubing in this location and what else do you see in this picture? any one please..

#9 This is my telemetry temp prob coming of the top of the head, just want to keep an eye on the head temp.

#10 OK this is one I have had a few people ask me about, I will also make a video and post a link. This is my complete custom made wiring harness for my SBach. This is made up of 20ga and 16ga high strand count silicon wire. The top harness is my flight harness with a 6 servo configuration, consisting of (from left to right) Throttle , Rudder, Ailerons, and duel elevator servos. All the power wires are of course 16ga with a single 20ga signal braided into the harness.

I have never likes switches because they fail so if you look at the middle of the harness you will see a deans connector at the end of it and about a foot of red 16ga wire. Just to the left I made a aerodynamic deans plug that will be the power plug.

Please, I don't want to hear anyone tell me about loosing the power plug. I'm old,, not forgetful. ALSO , remember I have been doing this a long time and my stupid days are not over but years ago I learned, yup,, left the plug at home had to drive back and get it. So I cured myself of that one. I have had tooo many switch issues in the past and I still Don't like them.

The bottom harness is all 20ga for the ignition and I used a flag pin from castle that I modified and is now power for my HEI. If you take a close look you will see a pair of wires that run from left to right that run under the radio to the receiver. These wires go to an adapter plug that plugs into the Futaba R2008sb receiver. This is used for voltage and sends telemetry from my ignition pack to my radio. Also the receiver sends flight pack voltage telemetry back so I should be covered and know where I am at with the power situation.

Well I hope this gives some ideas and helps a little.
Oldhelidog is offline Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by jahatton
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
Wow it's been a while !!
My sbach has been on the back burner since I started building my new toy !!!
Anyway, now that my new giant scale multirotor (fpv and all!) is all built and flying awesome... I can get back to the sbach. Any new videos of this thing yet ?
Hey yakphan, it's been a long time!
I know this is off topic but can you pm me pictures and what hardware you use for your multirotor. I got sidetracked this last year with quads.
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Old 05-25-2014, 06:18 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
YouTube video of wiring harness if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irmE...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-26-2014, 12:11 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Very impressed! Can't wait for the maiden.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Jahatton

Well, now it will be a waiting game on when I will receive the replacement servo from Futaba also the weather and finding the time. So when the stars are aligned I will post a maiden flight video. It might be a very short video, . I am looking at mounting my GoPro in the canopy, see what I can make for a vibration damper and get the best picture I can.

I am mounting a Futaba optical rpm sensor under the cowling also to keep an eye on engine rpm. I have one of my helicopters setup with all of the Futaba Sbus sensors without any issues so I look at this as a chance to test more sensors.
It's all a test bed, It's nice to be able to set parameters and warnings. Sometimes I fly within a few miles of a airport so I have my altitude alarm set for 400 ft. It works very well and as you all know things don't look so high until your looking down.

Well for what it's worth, thanks for letting me share and I hope this has given a few ideas to others.
Keep your eyes open for the maiden.

Is the servo here yet, no.. Is the servo here yet, no.. Is the servo here yet, no. Ha ha ha...
Old 05-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
If you have a mishap which requires remounting the landing gear or other damage, you will be entitled to a membership
to our "Crash Club" Repair photos are welcome.
Jim
Old 05-27-2014, 06:26 AM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Ok Jim
I will be more then happy to add crash and repair photos also. Let's not jinx it yet I would like to get one good flight before it his the ground. I have been doing a preflight while waiting for my servo to show and making sure everything has Loctite and lock nuts on everything.

Today I am waiting for my canopy lock springs to show up and maybe get them installed today.
Don't know if you have seen these.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhelidog View Post
Ok Jim
I will be more then happy to add crash and repair photos also. Let's not jinx it yet I would like to get one good flight before it his the ground. I have been doing a preflight while waiting for my servo to show and making sure everything has Loctite and lock nuts on everything.

Today I am waiting for my canopy lock springs to show up and maybe get them installed today.
Don't know if you have seen these.
Hi Oldhelidog, thought that was a fuel dot. lol I should upgrade mine to that system then I can ditch the allan wrench
Jim
Old 05-28-2014, 11:45 AM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Jahatton

I'm installing them today, when I get it finished I will post a few more pics for you. Just a slight modification to the fuse and the canopy and they fit fine. I guess the proof will be if they hold up to vibration because they are made up of aluminum and brass. There are a few things I am doing to help isolate vibration on the canopy with or without the the new canopy locks.
We'll keep your eyes open and I hope to have some pics for you later to day.

RJ
Old 05-28-2014, 02:13 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Seacraft Canopy lock video. its not much but you can get a look at it.

http://youtu.be/5KKrudvHexw
Old 05-29-2014, 12:46 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Well done! Oldheli, the proof of any build comes at the end of the runway.. know from experience
that she will fly and give you a return of pure joy on your invested time and money!
You know something... when I entered the first post on this thread, the remarks I got I almost backed out and quit.
What am I doing here trying to show a cheap air frame to a bunch of people that only purchase NAME BRAND expensive stuff.
I would like to thank all of you from the bottom of my heart for your support and friendships.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 AM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Considering I saved $250.00 on this Hobbyking kit, the extras that I have added and the changes I have made I would have done on any other manufactures aircraft also because nothing is good enough for me if I didn't build it. Is this and was this kit perfect, NO, it's a ARF made in the same country that all the other ARFs are manufactured. Some people have had good luck and some bad.

Personally I didn't have any major issues or lost parts. I upgraded some of my parts and again I would have done the same on a Pilot or other brand also. Is the $250.00 I saved worth the issues I have had with this kit. Hell yes it is. It's $250.00 I put towards a motor, or a servo or building supplies. Let's face it, if someone is going to hand me $250.00 to try out there kit good or bad, I'm going to take it.

I came from a time when you had to build everything there were NO ARF's and this day and age everyone wants, and wants and wants,,( PERfECTIOn ) well I can handle a little imperfection in my life because I can overcome imperfection, I am a builder not a parts installer and the issues I have had with this kit doesn't outweigh the savings.

The people that look down on or ridicule others for trying something new ridicule others to make themselves look better in the eyes of other people and in their own estimation of themselves. The only way to do that is either by pointing out the flaws in others or by inflating one's own attributes. Either way, it's based in low self-esteem and low self worth. These type of people have to justify there purchase and this is how they feel is the best way to go about it. It's easier to ridicule and judge then it is to encourage someone as it is human nature. It's really to bad and sometimes disheartening to admit we all belong to the same human race. You don't see animals doing it do you. So who are the intelligent ones?

Jim this thread stays alive because of the people that enjoy saving money and to take a chance on being different. Who the hell ever said we had to like the same things anyway? I thought we are all individuals on the rotating rock and had our own likes and dislikes. I didn't know we had to follow the masses. Well personally I am my own man and I do my own thinking.

Now on the flip side, yes there are alway two sides. Personally I crash when I want to and when I don't.
Is the $250.00 that we have saved worth the offerings of free crash parts that you can receive from pilot when you lawn dart this aircraft? That is the question only you as an individual can answer.

Thanks Jim for starting this thread, it's old but with fresh thoughts and ideas and I am more then happy to contribute when I can.

RodJ
Last edited by Oldhelidog; 05-29-2014 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Just adding my name
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Find More Posts by yankphan
Lower....LLLOOOWWWEEERRRR R !!!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Feb 2012
330 Posts
What the heck am I waiting for !!??
I have every component needed to finish my sbach... Being lazy I guess!
Anyway, she in the garage and I look at it everyday saying "tomorrow"! I need a kick in the butt, this plane is sweet looking !
Maybe tomorrow I'll build up the firewall LOL!
I did just get a new dle55ra today. Tapped the muffler for smoke.
yankphan is offline Find More Posts by yankphan
Old 05-30-2014, 06:10 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
I Just received my new servo from Futaba services today now I can finish my left aileron setup and I just got inside from a short test run before it started to rain. With a little luck and the weather holds I just might get a maiden in on Sunday. Ya hoooooo.

Quick Reply