Old 05-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Find More Posts by HornDogg
Aerially OBSESSED
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Nov 2014
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Today was spring yard work day so I had very little plans on finishing up my Trailer. But I did get 2 coats of poly on the cabinets, built my battery box and hooked up the radio.
That Battery box is 50 shades of SWEET! Very nice design and application there jamesrxx951!
HornDogg is offline Find More Posts by HornDogg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2008
2,322 Posts
Looks fun, I would love to go but will be in Fl that weekend
Keep up the good work, and drop me a line if you ever want to come fly the Pecan Patch or elsewhere around Atlanta.
Vapor Trails is offline Find More Posts by Vapor Trails
Old 05-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Aerially OBSESSED
Joined Nov 2014
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
Looks fun, I would love to go but will be in Fl that weekend
Keep up the good work, and drop me a line if you ever want to come fly the Pecan Patch or elsewhere around Atlanta.
Will do! Not too far to drive and well worth the trip!
Old 05-05-2015, 08:44 PM
Find More Posts by Skippykix
Retired USN
United States, TN, Oakland
Joined Mar 2007
493 Posts
Hey Guys, What tire pressure do you normally use when your hauling just planes around? I have a 7X12 with torsion suspension and the recommended tire pressure is 50 psi on radials. I think I could get a little bit smoother ride if I dropped the pressure a little but I'm not sure what psi would be good. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.
Skippykix is offline Find More Posts by Skippykix
Old 05-05-2015, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
www.gunnphotoservices.com
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,568 Posts
40psi on a 6x12 w/ single axle torsion
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippykix View Post
Hey Guys, What tire pressure do you normally use when your hauling just planes around? I have a 7X12 with torsion suspension and the recommended tire pressure is 50 psi on radials. I think I could get a little bit smoother ride if I dropped the pressure a little but I'm not sure what psi would be good. Any suggestions out there? Thanks.
Before dropping pressures go to the tires manufacture Web side and look for the pressure range. You do not want to be running on under inflated tires or over inflated tires. Another benificial thing is to weigh the trailer loaded and then figure out the pressures based on the weight/ tire pressure chart. For instance my ambulances I manage have 19.5" tires on them and are capable of pressures to 120 psi. Based on weight they require 85 psi. Correct pressures are not only for ride quality but wear and safety. Over inflation based on weight is almost as dangerous as under inflated.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 05-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
www.gunnphotoservices.com
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Oct 2009
1,568 Posts
Quote:
Before dropping pressures go to the tires manufacture Web side and look for the pressure range. You do not want to be running on under inflated tires or over inflated tires. Another benificial thing is to weigh the trailer loaded and then figure out the pressures based on the weight/ tire pressure chart. For instance my ambulances I manage have 19.5" tires on them and are capable of pressures to 120 psi. Based on weight they require 85 psi. Correct pressures are not only for ride quality but wear and safety. Over inflation based on weight is almost as dangerous as under inflated.
Good post. Free-to-use Cat scales are at almost every truck stop on the interstate
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
Old 05-06-2015, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
an underinflated tire flexes more than designed for and will create more heat and wear out faster.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 05-06-2015, 08:52 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
an underinflated tire flexes more than designed for and will create more heat and wear out faster.
Over inflated will also cause the center to Ballon out and also cause excessive heat and premature wear.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
So true.......when i first started racing motorcycles i had to remember which way to go when adjusting air pressure....add or subtract air.....in my racing just 1 pound either way was drastic. My rocket scientist wife...(..dont laugh...graduated highschool at 15...college at 16 ) who knew nothing about tires or racing.....but knew science.....told me to think of people huddled together to get warm.....so if i wanted the tire hotter...let air out and the rubber molecules will huddle closer together and get warmer. Add air to expand the molecules for cooler......long way to get the point but after 25 years i still remember.... and feel my tires temp as a first sign if somethings less than perfect
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-07-2015, 08:09 PM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Apr 2008
459 Posts
A friend posted this on FB, thought ya'll might make use of it. 6 way power splitter with individual power switches. Walmart auto section, $13.
Nikolei Zinsli is offline Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
Old 05-07-2015, 08:23 PM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy082662 View Post
So true.......when i first started racing motorcycles i had to remember which way to go when adjusting air pressure....add or subtract air.....in my racing just 1 pound either way was drastic. My rocket scientist wife...(..dont laugh...graduated highschool at 15...college at 16 ) who knew nothing about tires or racing.....but knew science.....told me to think of people huddled together to get warm.....so if i wanted the tire hotter...let air out and the rubber molecules will huddle closer together and get warmer. Add air to expand the molecules for cooler......long way to get the point but after 25 years i still remember.... and feel my tires temp as a first sign if somethings less than perfect
I believe that is slightly incorrect. Cold the molecules huddle together like they want to get warm. This causes the contraction of an object like steel. Warm it up and the molecules expand. Almost like they are getting away from each other to cool off. Again think of hot metal expanding. A common practice is to cool off a shaft to shrink it and warm up a sleeve or gear to expand it to slide it over the shaft easier. This is also the reason you must check tire pressures cold. You need a base line of ambient temps because as the tire heats up the air heats up. This heat causes expansion within the tire. The tire expands very little and thus you have higher tire pressures hot not. During the summer I can see a 30 psi increase in our ambulance tires. Water does not apply to this because it is one of r
the very few things that expands when frozen.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by PropsnWings
AMA LM CD IP
Joined Jul 2011
4,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetNZ View Post
A friend posted this on FB, thought ya'll might make use of it. 6 way power splitter with individual power switches. Walmart auto section, $13.
I had seen those, but figuring they are intended for the LEDS they sell, I was guessing they arent rated for many amps at all.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 AM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
3,834 Posts
Quote:
I believe that is slightly incorrect. Cold the molecules huddle together like they want to get warm. This causes the contraction of an object like steel. Warm it up and the molecules expand. Almost like they are getting away from each other to cool off. Again think of hot metal expanding. A common practice is to cool off a shaft to shrink it and warm up a sleeve or gear to expand it to slide it over the shaft easier. This is also the reason you must check tire pressures cold. You need a base line of ambient temps because as the tire heats up the air heats up. This heat causes expansion within the tire. The tire expands very little and thus you have higher tire pressures hot not. During the summer I can see a 30 psi increase in our ambulance tires. Water does not apply to this because it is one of r
the very few things that expands when frozen.
in most cases you are right...but when the friction of rubber against the ground is in effect the closer together molecules transfer heat more efficiently and with less air in the tire the contact patch is larger also causing even more friction causing even more heat. also I am speaking of getting the optimum temp of a tire already warm...I guess my racing annalage doesn't apply.
ponyboy082662 is offline Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 05-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Aerially OBSESSED
Joined Nov 2014
112 Posts
I'm all in!

Was planning to wait but found a deal I couldn't refuse. Plus it allowed me to trade in the wife's car so she can use my truck. Picked up a '06 F250 Turbo diesel 4x4 Crew Cab with 93K for towing... far better than the 4-7 MPG the Yukon got towing the trailer! Truck hadn't even been on the lot a day! Pulled off the road to stop by to get some truck specs and ended up with a diesel. Not the one I wanted but surely what I needed! Gas was killing me on back and forth driving!

Quick Reply