logo
Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM
Find More Posts by michaelJH
Team Extreme!
High Prarie, Wa
Joined Mar 2010
810 Posts
Those things look amazing! I have never seen anything like it! I would love to try one!

Flipping them would be interesting. You have less time to get out of the way and no straight serface to hold. Anything diffrent in the way you do it? Also, IDK if this has been asked, but what are we looking at in the price range? I would like to get one and do some testing between this and a bunch of other props in IMAC and see how it does. Sounds like an awesome 3D prop already! Great job on the design Josh!
michaelJH is offline Find More Posts by michaelJH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Find More Posts by Boomhauer
YOU HAVE BEEN OFFICIALLY TAGGED!
Arkansas
Joined Oct 2006
1,472 Posts
Very cool, and great thinking outside the box. Sure hope they are affordable.
Boomhauer is offline Find More Posts by Boomhauer
Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!
the STICKS and yes, california has sticks, CA.
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerfx4 View Post
coool prop....what does FOG mean?
At my field it usually means a particular group of guys that are always at the field, dont fly and always have something to say negative. OH! and they are the worst and most unsafe pilots most of the time. "When the FOG rolls in, everyone rolls out"
jm_mac is offline Find More Posts by jm_mac
Old 03-25-2011, 05:40 AM
Find More Posts by anthonyw
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2006
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
Because most full size props are Constant speed.... (or variable pitch).... this design blade would likely require huge counterbalances to be "Twist Neutral"... but a bigger issue is that it is structurally divergent... increased bending results in increased AOA.. thus tending to bend more, twist more, bend more, twist more, bend more.......... not a flutter friendly environment....

possibly with clever fiber directions, the twist can be made benign ...... hmmmm???
----------------------------------
I agree, I am anxious to see or know what the torsion loads are at the hub.
anthonyw is offline Find More Posts by anthonyw
Old 03-25-2011, 05:50 AM
Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Southwest Pa.
Joined Nov 2006
4,003 Posts
Awesome! Good luck on your venture.
Krazy Karl is offline Find More Posts by Krazy Karl
Old 03-25-2011, 06:22 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojcigitty View Post
Agreed. The shape might be a little scary but you should never have ANYTHING enter the prop arc, no matter what prop it is or on what model.
+1, duh!
A DA-60 has more power that most lawn mowers and swings a blade about the same size. Well done concept wise, now we are going to have to see some back to back comparo's.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 03-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by tele1974
Learn to work kid!
United States, OH, Oberlin
Joined Apr 2007
488 Posts
Captain I hear screws! Dive! Though I don't know anything about the physics I looks like it make sense that it would be more more efficient.
tele1974 is offline Find More Posts by tele1974
Old 03-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by 3DVictim
Suspended Account
San Diego
Joined Dec 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c/f View Post
I got the perfect test ship, I have a Chip Hyde Double Vision as an electric with the Nue 1521 on gearbox, 12s, It flies awesome pattern aerobatics on a 20X8 under 2500W over 10 minutes on flight timer, but I can prop it to 24X12 and go 4500W nutso for about 6minutes.

I have spent allot of money on props and currently like the Xoar electric 23X10, but its to delicate so I drop down to the Xoar 22X10 fuel prop. While I think I'm getting closer I still am looking for the PERFECT prop to combine 3D and duration on 12s 5000MAH.

Best part is this baby weighs 14 3/4lbs RTF and tumbles like a 6mm foamie,

I dont even have good outdoor pix yet, it's got a Turbine Toucan transparent yellow scheme on it and that prop would look like a claw in its mouth. Heres some as it sits on its perch for winter storage.
I can't let this pass without mention, that is simply beautiful.

We need a DV rejuvination
3DVictim is offline Find More Posts by 3DVictim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Find More Posts by 3DVictim
Suspended Account
San Diego
Joined Dec 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm_mac View Post
At my field it usually means a particular group of guys that are always at the field, dont fly and always have something to say negative. OH! and they are the worst and most unsafe pilots most of the time. "When the FOG rolls in, everyone rolls out"

Chula Vista by chance?
3DVictim is offline Find More Posts by 3DVictim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Find More Posts by extra addict
Huddleston, Virginia
Joined Feb 2007
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerfx4 View Post
coool prop....what does FOG mean?
Put it this way when an FOG takes to the skies you need a couple spotters for the the guys standing in the pit area!
extra addict is offline Find More Posts by extra addict
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by terryscustom
Wood Butcher
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Jan 2007
9,971 Posts
Looking forward to trying one of these in my AJ SLick or OM Hybrid.....depends on if 23" or 24" is available first. May have to put a little thought into which "clock" position to drill the prop, but I don't see flipping as being a real issue.
terryscustom is offline Find More Posts by terryscustom
Old 03-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
+1, duh!
A DA-60 has more power that most lawn mowers and swings a blade about the same size. Well done concept wise, now we are going to have to see some back to back comparo's.
I'd like to see a DA60 swing a lawn mower prop at 3600 rpm's(what a lawnmower is governed at,and
hp rating is at,they will turn A LOT more ungoverned).
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Last edited by Siko_Flyer; 03-25-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra addict View Post
Put it this way when an FOG takes to the skies you need a couple spotters for the the guys standing in the pit area!
This exact situation happened on wednesday when I was at the field.

one of the FOG's, who's a long time member and of course a "safety Hawk"...for everyone else of course..flew his slimer way out of bounds..several times, including over the pits.

Its like..Do as I say, Not as I do.

fair enough...I'll outlive him.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 03-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by TCipolla
Belleville, IL (STL Metro)
Joined Jun 2009
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinKat View Post
I am wondering two things:

1) Could this basic design concept be used on heli's for the main rotor blades or mabe just tail rotor blades?

2) How long before the guys in China copy the design and come out with their own version?
I'm not sure this would work with Heli blades. Airplane propellers have washout built in, whereas r/c heli blades do not. I think the stress on the blades might be too much.

Regardless, this is pretty neat! I'd be willing to try one, 18-20" range!
TCipolla is offline Find More Posts by TCipolla
Old 03-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by T_Simatovic
Team Horizon
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Jan 2010
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
As we all know when someone claims to have invented something that goes against the established norm we all are skeptical and we all raise a lot of questions. I was no different when I started following the thread created by Josh McBride (Ion01). Josh said that he had a patent pending revolutionary new idea for increased propeller efficiency, increased thrust, reduced load on the engine, etc. Pretty much all the things that we really would like but thought were impossible.

So when I received a p.m. from Josh asking me to check out this new product he has created I jumped on the chance. Without having any inclination of what he has done to this point, I met up with him at a local RC field in Guthrie, Oklahoma and, low and behold, there was something that I wasn't quite prepared to see. As you can see from the photo it looks like an exaggerated scimitar prop, until you do a double take and check the direction of rotation. As you can see the tip of propeller is forward of the hub. I must confess, I am not an engineer, but I do understand the principle of a forward swept wing. And that is exactly what this design is.

So now we get down to the testing! Josh had a standard Bolly 23 x 8 bolted onto the front of his DL – 50 engine that was mounted on his Double Vision. We ran the engine on the ground and it produced 6,800 RPM. I then flew the airplane through the entire flight envelope to get a baseline of flight characteristics. Josh then bolted on his propeller onto the Double Vision. This prop has the same diameter and pitch (23 X 8) as the previously used propeller. After warming the engine up again the tach read 7,500 RPM's, giving an increase of 700 RPM's over the previous prop. I know that rpm readings are not indicative of the actual performance of the propeller/engine combination but 700 rpm is a huge difference and I was ready to fly it and see. I proceeded to fly the plane through the entire flight envelope again. There is a distinct noise that this prop delivers, but it never ripped even when it unloaded. The engine responded quicker to throttle inputs and performance was improved in vertical maneuvers including pull out from a hover. I must add that it takes a lot of guts to design, develop and produce something this is completely different than what we are all used to. I applaud Josh for his vision and hope that he is successful in his endeavor. Thanks for being a Giant!

One last note,I will be using one of these on my 50cc bird!

Current thread https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=56581

Here are a couple of questions I had for Josh and thought I would share them with you guys:

Josh, What was your inspiration for this design?

I have always loved and been fascinated by the exotic look of the X-29 and the huge advantages of the forward swept wing. Then when the airline industry become so focused on the reduction of the wingtip vortex and the huge savings that resulted I began to wonder what could be done to a prop to provide the same improvements. In recent years RC Propeller designs have attempted to make the same improvements I was so interested in but I never saw a forward sweep. With the instruction of affordable carbon fiber construction, providing the strength necessary for the forward sweep, it occurred to me that material strengths must be the main reason this configuration had not be used in the past just like on aircraft. So, I figured this was my chance to finally bring the well known advantages of the forward sweep to the propeller.

Are there more sizes of props available?

Currently, we only have the 23 x 8 due to the start up costs but plan to bring many sizes to the RC industry and eventually move into full scale aircraft. In the short term, once we regain some of our expenses, our next prop will be for a 120cc and we will continue bring other props from there.

Do you have any data on the propellers performance other than RPM’s?

I was very careful during testing to ensure the only variable was the sweep of the propeller to eliminate any other “contributions” to the measurements/performance. I measured RPM’s, “wind speed” of the prop wash near the fuselage (important to 3D performance), and static thrust (those familiar with propeller design will realize that static thrust does not show the actually thrust generated in flight as a prop is designed to move through the air and not be static.) All measurements were taken at the same throttle positions in the same atmospheric conditions as well. All areas showed a clear increase in performance. I will have charts illustrating these increases on the website revolutionaryprops.com soon.

As this design is a departure from the norm, what would you say to someone who is skeptical?

The advantages of the forward swept wing have been known since the Germans first experimented with it in WWII. With the X-29 and the SU-47 the advantages have became well established. Considering it provides such large advantages to such performance aircraft it only follows that there would be advantages to a propeller which is really just a wing that rotates. Simply, it’s a simple, well known concept and I was just lucky enough to be the first to apply it in the most advantageous form on a propeller.

wow thats wild!!!!!!!!! sorry if this has aleready been said, but can you compare to a mejzlik? is the performance better? i gotta be the first one at the field with one of these!!!!!!!
T_Simatovic is offline Find More Posts by T_Simatovic

Quick Reply