logo
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by closetguy
United States, OH, Berlin Heights
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Phil ,Rich from WW said the ply rings are not needed.i thought about doing the same, but if you look, the receiver tube touches all the shear webs, i just ran epoxy between the two.your not the first to question this or wanting to improve it some.thats what is nice about building you can impove on things the way you like them.
don't mean to be a know it all,but just passing on some info that i was told.
closetguy is online now Find More Posts by closetguy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-28-2011, 08:48 AM
Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Way to go Phillip. I seem to recall a post somewhere where you said, "I dont think I can do this....."

Sure is nice to get modelers back into building their own stuff..

The nice thing about this plane is that it has similar wing area to a 35% bird (2030 sq/in) but at an average of 17 pounds....well...

EASY PEASIE...... Cant wait to see a vid of you and your daughter flying it....you are building it for her, right?
WrongWayRC is offline Find More Posts by WrongWayRC
Old 12-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
First vid is a couple average guys flying... The Red Bull one is the first proto... going strong now after a year and half, many flights...The second one is one built from the current kit like you are doing (that's my plane).

Second vid is an above average pilot... His name is Colton Clark...He like the second proto so much that he flew in this vid that bought it from me after Huck O Ween....

WrongWayCam 55 and 60cc Laminar Wing Suhkoi from WrongWayRc (10 min 47 sec)

WrongWayRc.com 50cc Laminar Wing Suhkoi (7 min 29 sec)
Old 12-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by chumley
Lynn Haven, FL
Joined Jul 2007
612 Posts
Looking good Phil

The ply donuts are totally the builders choice. The original designer (Wild Fred) was against the donuts as the load from the tube is transferred to the wing spars via the shear webs as closetguy pointed out. The ribs are too fragile to transfer the load even with the donuts. My prototype has hand cut ribs that are no where near as accurate as the kit ones and they don't have any donuts and are still going strong after 16 months flying (including a hard pancake at NashBro that put a slight bend in the aluminum tube - turns out I was a little too low to try that loop but it flew again the next day). The ply donuts will not hurt anything so if you want to use them - go for it. I've cut the wing tube down to 35" on all the ones I've built so the next rib on each wing won't need to be cut. A ply square glued to the first uncut rib works as a good tube stop as well. Unfortunately I didn't think about the tube stop on the first one I built, so I just have to be careful - and it hasn't been a problem so far.
chumley is offline Find More Posts by chumley
Old 12-28-2011, 10:15 AM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
Phil ,Rich from WW said the ply rings are not needed.i thought about doing the same, but if you look, the receiver tube touches all the shear webs, i just ran epoxy between the two.your not the first to question this or wanting to improve it some.thats what is nice about building you can impove on things the way you like them.
don't mean to be a know it all,but just passing on some info that i was told.
Thanks CG.
I don't take your comments to be "Know it all ish" at all, I appreciate the contribution to my build thread. Just to bring you guys up to speed, and Richard already knows this I think. I have zero building experience. None, zip, nada, nope, never done it at all. I was telling Brian (The fellow you see in my pictures) just last night, I don't think I would have ever bought the kit had I not known, and had access to people who were willing to come over & help me get going. And I have to laugh a bit when I say "help" me get going, because Brian has actually done 95% of the work on these two wings, I basically just watched and inhaled balsa dust. Brian is a pilot for a local medical jet evac service, and will be gone for the next few days. He has carefully prompted me on what to do next and on what parts. So, I will actually be making and installing the gusset plates, shear webbing and some cap strips on the two wings, and then moving on to assembling the stabs, rudder and possibly the ailerons. I need to go to the LHS for wood, glue and a few other things, and have run out of money, so I'll need to wait til Friday (Payday for me) before I can really get going again. :-(

Thanks Guys...
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 12-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Can anyone tell me how to "Multi-quote" here? That is, quote multiple people, and answer their questions in one reply?

Thanks...
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWayRC View Post
Way to go Phillip. I seem to recall a post somewhere where you said, "I dont think I can do this....."

Sure is nice to get modelers back into building their own stuff..

The nice thing about this plane is that it has similar wing area to a 35% bird (2030 sq/in) but at an average of 17 pounds....well...

EASY PEASIE...... Cant wait to see a vid of you and your daughter flying it....you are building it for her, right?
Thanks Richard, glad you're here. And Brian was commenting on the nice quality of the wood & rib cutting done on the kit... Please pass that on.

And yes, this is going to be for my daughter, Emily. Brian & I are currently in negotiations with her on the color scheme..
Last edited by Phil Griffin; 12-28-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Find More Posts by ae4nr
Boomer NC Wilkes county
Joined Nov 2008
242 Posts
subscribed
ae4nr is offline Find More Posts by ae4nr
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumley View Post
Looking good Phil

The ply donuts are totally the builders choice. The original designer (Wild Fred) was against the donuts as the load from the tube is transferred to the wing spars via the shear webs as closetguy pointed out. The ribs are too fragile to transfer the load even with the donuts. My prototype has hand cut ribs that are no where near as accurate as the kit ones and they don't have any donuts and are still going strong after 16 months flying (including a hard pancake at NashBro that put a slight bend in the aluminum tube - turns out I was a little too low to try that loop but it flew again the next day). The ply donuts will not hurt anything so if you want to use them - go for it. I've cut the wing tube down to 35" on all the ones I've built so the next rib on each wing won't need to be cut. A ply square glued to the first uncut rib works as a good tube stop as well. Unfortunately I didn't think about the tube stop on the first one I built, so I just have to be careful - and it hasn't been a problem so far.
Chumley, we considered the ply square glued to the first uncut rib, but then per Richard's suggestion, I think we're going to shorten the aluminum wing tube by about 1/2", and glue some 1/4" stops into each end of the wing tube receiver. I was afraid that even with ply, repeated bumping of that first uncut rib would eventually lead to problems.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by stanordave
Joined Sep 2009
184 Posts
So much neater than my building skills! Always envious of you that can build without shattering pert near every piece of balsa during construction. But..I do know that using really large graphics helps keep people from noticing.
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
Rich the secound video,is that with the DLE55 or the new JC60 that you have now?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:43 PM
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
DLE 55 in second vid. First vid has DLE55 and JC 60 in it.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:04 PM
Joined Jul 2006
5,961 Posts
this is after three days of streching monokote,almost done with fuse,just a little more to do on the stab.
one of WW 50cc profile's kit bash into a Sbsch.
Last edited by closetguy; 12-29-2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: need change
Old 12-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by Colton
Now taking maneuver requests!
United States, GA, Smyrna
Joined Mar 2010
2,447 Posts
Rich in the Patirotic spirit of your company I've decided to do the remaiden of the flagship on new years eve. It won't however be the first plane I fly in the new years but it may well be the first fully intact plane I fly in 2012 lol
Colton is offline Find More Posts by Colton
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Dot Com-ing it...
Ormond Beach, FL
Joined Sep 2008
4,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by closetguy View Post
this is after three days of streching monokote,almost done with fuse,just a little more to do on the stab.
Nice!! Wont be long now...

Quick Reply