logo
Old 08-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by Goni
Flown' around :-)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Joined May 2008
97 Posts
EQ6 Usage for newbie

Guys, My first 42% Extra from Aero-Works finally here with me and have assembled it all the way through. Since this is my first Gasser, I am having some confusion setting it up properly. I am using DA-150 with SmartFly EQ6 Turbo Plus, SmartFly iginition system. Since its mentioned in the manual of extra to connect all servo(s) lets say for Aeleron with a Y harness and then connect to the receiver, what is the addedd value of using smartfly EQ6 in this case? If I am going to use one output from all servos, I can even use it with the receiver?

Also, can I center my servos using EQ6? But don't I have to drop my Y-Harness in this case?

Goni
Goni is offline Find More Posts by Goni
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Robot Babysitter
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jan 2006
1,234 Posts
Re: EQ6 Usage for newbie

When using the EQ 6 you will not need any Y-harnesses. I'm using this unit in both my 42% Extra and 40% Yak with aJR 10X so my example will reflect those airplane.

Channel 2- The Aileron servos get their own leads running out of the wing roots (i usually mark these with colored tape to help plug them in correctly) I then use 2 6" extension pluged into channel 2 of the board in slots A and B. Use the colored tape on these as well to keep them plugged into the same port. Now do the same using channel 6 and mix the two aileron sides together using the flaperon function of the radio. If you are using 3 servo just plug them into slots A,B and C.

The manual that came with the EQ-6 explains how to set the end points and center on each servo individually.

I hope this helps but if you need any more help feel free to ask.
Mark Dennis is offline Find More Posts by Mark Dennis
Old 08-17-2008, 08:05 PM
Find More Posts by smokin
clinton, ia. usa
Joined Oct 2007
5,199 Posts

you really want to utilize all possible functions of that eq6. the center and EPA's of each servo, separate channels for ails and elev as mentioned above and the reg inside will help you with batt power being consistant.
smokin is offline Find More Posts by smokin
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM
Find More Posts by Goni
Flown' around :-)
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Joined May 2008
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dennis View Post
When using the EQ 6 you will not need any Y-harnesses. I'm using this unit in both my 42% Extra and 40% Yak with aJR 10X so my example will reflect those airplane.

Channel 2- The Aileron servos get their own leads running out of the wing roots (i usually mark these with colored tape to help plug them in correctly) I then use 2 6" extension pluged into channel 2 of the board in slots A and B. Use the colored tape on these as well to keep them plugged into the same port. Now do the same using channel 6 and mix the two aileron sides together using the flaperon function of the radio. If you are using 3 servo just plug them into slots A,B and C.

The manual that came with the EQ-6 explains how to set the end points and center on each servo individually.

I hope this helps but if you need any more help feel free to ask.
Mark, never came to know you from Aero-works untill I saw your profile. Anyway, Since this is my first gas plane and also the big one, I didn't knew at that time which components to use at what level. And I asked Chuck to provide me with recommendations which I later bought. Reason saying this that I setup my bird as per the manual and was not able to find anything or any modified configuration for, if using the Smartfly or any other power systems. I understand an experienced pilot may navigate himself to the correct path, but don't you think you need to update the manual a little bit with this information like you have for Stock and Canister type muffler?

Other than that Aero-works reallly produces some nice birds. Started my DA 1st time yesterday and it was awesome Can't wait to through the bird in the air which is going to be exactly after 3 days.

I'll be removing any Y-harness for Aileron and Elevators and possibly the rudder as well. Thanks for your help.

Goni
Goni is offline Find More Posts by Goni
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 AM
Find More Posts by Imac Kiwi
Joined Jan 2006
900 Posts

Do Not Use Any "Y" Harnesses on the EQ6 Turbo Plus.

The whole idea is that for Aileron, Elevator and Rudder servos you use the EQ6 to adjust each port within that channel. This gives you matched servos with each servo being powered seperately, (ie less voltage loss=more servo power).
Imac Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Imac Kiwi
Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
Find More Posts by OaxacaPilot
Flyin' Around
Joined Jun 2009
1 Posts

Hi all, I also have the EQ6 and have this question for my AW Extra 260 104", I will use the 12 channel recever that comes with the JR 12X, this radio has a special wing configuration for using 4 servos on ailerons(2 for each) and one channel per servo, I´m runing Futabas 9156's on all control surfaces, 4 for ailerons, 2 for ruder and 2 for elevators, my question is, the EQ6 only has 8 servo outputs, so I will need 2 aditional channels to control Throttle and Smoke can I connect the throttle servo and smoke pump directly to the receiver and that be safe?

Other question, If I want to use the kill switch on the EQ6 I will need to use one channel of the EQ6 to control it, that gives me only 7 channels of the 8, what would you suggest will be the best control surface to control with only one channel.

Thanks in advance

Rafael
OaxacaPilot is offline Find More Posts by OaxacaPilot
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

Personally you should of got the PE 12 instead.

You can plug servos into the Rx but the voltage is lower than expected since the RX only gets 5v from the EQ6. Not a suggested idea from Bob when I asked about it ahwile ago. I would think smoke might be a better choice since it typically is an on/off or ESC with a dedicated battery. You would just need to know the input voltage required.

Best surface to control with one channel is Rudder. The EQ6 has multiple inputs on each channel so it should work. Also you can try using a mix in the radio so that you can tie the ignition kill to a servo and a switch. You really need to list out your plan on how you are going to hook things up. You could also bypass the radio wing setup and use the EQ6 to do it.

For example, this is how my P-47 is setup

1. throttle
2. Left aileron (both servos and use EQ6 to match them)
3. Rudder
4. Left Elevator (use dual elevator setting in radio to tie channels together)
5. Right aileron (both servos and use EQ6 to match them)
6. Ignition Kill/choke servo
7. Right Elevator (use dual elevator setting in radio to tie channels together)
8. bomb drop

directly into RX is smoke
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts

Hi Rafael,
If you already have the Eq6 then I would not use the special setups in the JR 12-channel, just use it like a normal radio and do the servo matching in the Eq6. You should be able to setup the radio so you have aileron (left, right) on two channels, elevator on one channel and rudder on one channel. This is four channels so you have plenty for your other functions.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 09-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Estados Unidos, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2006
1,339 Posts

i need help i read the manual but i dont now how to make it in the real thing i whant to match my servos and change the ignition kill of the channel that came to the channel seven please help its the only thing i left to finish my plane
thnakss
jonathanmanopla is offline Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by Oilsands
Oilsands
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
1,443 Posts

Ok I will see if I can help. You don't need your Tx turned on for the first 2 things to do on this list, but for after that it needs to be working with the Rx. So if you need to bind then make sure it is done before proceeding and also make sure that no servos are plugged into the Eq6 when doing that (or you can have servos fighting each other).
The following if from the PowerSystem Eq6 Programming side of the Programming Technical Reference sheet.
First (after having everything hooked up and before turning on), turn the little dial (function) to 9 and the other dial (channel) to 2. Now press and hold both buttons (increase and decrease) down and power on the unit then release. The LED for channel 2 should be flashing slowly. Now turn the dial back to 8 and press both buttons down together and hold till all the channel LEDs flash slowly, then release. Then press and hold both buttons once again and all of those LEDs should flash flaster.
Turn the Tx on and make sure that all the trims are centered. Next, turn the function dial back to 7. Now once yet again, press both buttons down and hold and the LEDs should flash a little faster, release the buttons. Press and hold again and the LEDs should go out. Release the buttons and the LEDs should start to come back on (flashing quickly), meaning they are now calibrated.
Now if you have any servos that are plugged into the same channel (ie: elevator, rudder, right wing, left wing, etc.), turn the function dial to 4 and the channel dial to the channel you have the servos plugged into. Press the increase button and the channel LED flash at a faster rate. Next, turn the function dial to 3 and press the increase button and channel LED should flash faster.
Now for the ign cutoff. Turn the function dial to 2 and the channel dial to what ever channel you want the ign cutoff to be on (2 through 7, can't be 1 or 8). Now press both buttons till the channel selected flashes and release buttons.

Now follow the Servo Adjustments information (should be other side of the Programming Technical Reference sheet) for adjusting your centers, endpoints and reversing any servos if need be.

Hope this helps you out.
Oilsands is offline Find More Posts by Oilsands
Old 09-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Estados Unidos, FL, Miami
Joined Oct 2006
1,339 Posts

oilsand thanks for the info no i can set the ignition kill in the channel i whant, now i have my elevator servos plugged in 2 differentes channels on channel 3 and channel 7 of the smartfly, the instruction manual i dont understand nothing , its so complicated , i appreciate if you can tell me how to set the endpoints and the center function to both servos move equals, if you can help me with that i think the ailerons servo are the same think thanks
jonathanmanopla is offline Find More Posts by jonathanmanopla
Old 09-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined Jul 2006
386 Posts

Hey, welcome to the SmartFly club. I love my EQ6. I've had one in an Aeroworks Ultimate Biplane and now in a Carden Extra 300.

1. Take a deep breath and try to forget what you know about matchboxes or any other matching devise.

2. If possible, set up each of your surfaces with them off of the aircraft and the EQ6 on the table. Makes things so much easier when you can see your elevator and push the buttons on the EQ6 at the same time.

3. Plug in a small battery for power...I use a 4.8V four cell NiCad so I don't even need a regulator (if you have the turbo version it won't matter). If it has a regular plug on it you can connect it through the "charge" port instead of the Deans Battery port and you'll get power to your system when switched on.

3. Make sure you've done the pre set up...set the servos up to hold the end points it really helps.

4. Don't connect the pushrods to the servo arm...leave them both off. I put the bolt through the servo arm so it points up, that way I can slide the ball link on and off of the bolt without having to unscrew anything.

4. Set up one servo center and endpoints first, then match it on the second servo. With the pushrods disconnected you can play with it (so to speak) for a little bit to make sure you understand what each function does.

5. It will all make sense after you've messed with it a little. You can't really hurt anything if your pushrods are not connected, so have a ball!

Good luck.
FlyinTiger is offline Find More Posts by FlyinTiger
Old 09-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Oilsands
Joined Nov 2007
1,443 Posts

Before you adjust the servos electonical, make sure you adjust the linkages properly and that your Tx does not have any end points adjusted or trims set.
You could plug both of your elevator servos into the same channel (one in A and one in B). After doing the above instructions I posted earlier, power off the Rx and Smart-fly system. Turn the function dial to 1 and the channel dial to the channel that your elevator servos are plugged into. Then power up your Tx and Rx (smart-fly).
If you plugged both of your elevator servos into one channel (say 3) then one will probally need to be reversed. Turn the function dial to 5, 6 or 7 (which relate to A, B or C) for the servo that needs to be reversed. For example the left elevator servo is plugged into channel 3 A and the right one into channel 3 B and it is the left one that you need reversed. Then you would have the function dial on 5 and the channel dial on 3, then you would press the increase button (LED should flash faster). Now both elevator surfaces will move in the same direction. Once that is done, turn the function dial to 1 and move the Tx stick and the elevator surfaces (or at least the servo that is plugged into A port) should move. Let your Tx stick center. Now using the increase and decrease button, adjust the surface so that it is centered. One that is done, move the Tx stick full down elevator and hold for a couple seconds. The surface should move part way then jump full over and stay there. Release the stick. Now using the increase and decrease buttons, you can adjust the end points of the servo (max throws). Then move the stick to full up elevator and hold for a couple seconds, the surface should move the other way and stay there. Again using the two buttons adjust your end point for that direction. Then move the stick to down elevator and when the surface moves, release the stick before it go to the end (it should now be back in the center). Do this a couple of times to make sure all is set right. Once that is done, turn the function dial to 2 and repeat the above for the other surface. To do the other surfaces you would follow the same procedure but just have the channel dial turned to the number of the channel your going to adjust.
Once you do this once, it gets easier to do as well as quicker.
If you have one servo plugged into 3 and the other into 7, then follow the above but you would have the channel dial on 3 and adjust the center and both end points. Then turn to 7 and do the same. Hope this help you out.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts

Hi,
Just a note here, when you start adjusting servos, its best to power up with the function at "0" and then move the channel to the channel you want to adjust the servos on and then move the function to "1" to adjust servo A, "2" to adjust servo B and so forth. You do not need to power down the unit when moving between channels or functions. I am not sure if this is clear in the instructions.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 AM
Oilsands
Joined Nov 2007
1,443 Posts

Thanks, learned something new.
The first time I did program the Eq6, it did take me a little while to catch on. Mainly because I did not know where to start. But now that I have done it once, it is a lot easier and quicker the other times after that. I do all my adjusting with the plane all put together, but I have the room to do that. Now all I use is the Programming Technical Reference sheet, starting off on the Options menu and then to the Servo Adjustment side of the page.
All I use for a setup is two LiPo (7.4v) batteries going to the Eq6, a Rx, the Smart-fly Pin Flag switch, required servos, one LiPo (7.4v) to the Smart-fly Ignition Regulator going to a Smart-fly Ignition Cutoff then to the ignition. So all I do is pull the pin and all powers up except the ignition, but a flip of the switch I have programmed in my Tx and the ignition is powered up. To shut off, flipping the switch on the Tx shuts power down to the ignition and inserting the pin cuts all power off to all (except for the very, very small amount of current draw that the Smart-fly system uses). At the end of the day I remove the batteries and charge for the next day.

Quick Reply