logo
Old 05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by bigalrc
New Florence, PA
Joined May 2006
38 Posts
pilot rc cg

I have a pilot rc 50cc yak with a dl 50. I was wandering if anybody else ended up tail heavy with this combo. I have a 2300 ma battery that runs everything and it is on the front of the motorbox and it is still tail heavy. I hate to add wt. but I dont have much choice. I maidened it this weekend and it climbed quite a bit inverted. Would engine thrust affect this also. The best I can tell I have a few tenths of a degree up. I do have the Goldsmith trim guide I plan on using.
bigalrc is offline Find More Posts by bigalrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by lowwpass
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Mar 2009
762 Posts
Re: pilot rc cg

from the manual my yak is also tail heavy but it checks out on the inverted cg check
lowwpass is offline Find More Posts by lowwpass
Old 05-30-2010, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalrc View Post
I have a pilot rc 50cc yak with a dl 50. I was wandering if anybody else ended up tail heavy with this combo. I have a 2300 ma battery that runs everything and it is on the front of the motorbox and it is still tail heavy. I hate to add wt. but I dont have much choice. I maidened it this weekend and it climbed quite a bit inverted. Would engine thrust affect this also. The best I can tell I have a few tenths of a degree up. I do have the Goldsmith trim guide I plan on using.

so just add a back up battery....why add weight that does nothing
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 05-31-2010, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by lowwpass
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Mar 2009
762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rede2fly View Post
so just add a back up battery....why add weight that does nothing
Thats my thought too, or put a bigger fuel tank.
lowwpass is offline Find More Posts by lowwpass
Old 05-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts

Engine thrust and tail incidence would cause this. First set the plane up so the top of were the canopy mounts is 0 degs. That and the wings are usually the same. More importaint that the wings are 0 It's just easier to level the canopy first then check the wings. Wings and stabs should be zero. I start with 1 deg down thrust and 3 deg right. Then fly it. Go wide open and trim for level flight then roll inverted at full throttle. Should stay level or just barly drop the nose. That's nutral cg good for most every type of flying. Then go wide open upright and chop the throttle should continue staight and only start to drop the nose when the speed falls off. If it clims when you chop the throttle you have too much down thrust, If it dives you have too much up thrust. Then do a vertical clime and see if it falls off to one side. Everyone does this one diffrent. I like to trim the plane with right rudder for up lines then do a throttle to rudder mix for low throttle. I do a down line with no power and mix rudder till the plane falls straight I also do the elivator at the same time. I do it that way because it makes my inverted harriers easier. you can just add right or left thrust till the plane clims straight when wide open. Hope this helps.
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons

Quick Reply