Old 01-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by cmoore806
Busy Dad wannabe pilot
United States, OH, Bay Village
Joined Mar 2007
296 Posts
Question
servo wiring and effects ?

I need some advice. I am using a PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo in my Super Flying King. This is not an unlimited aerobatic plane by any means and this powersystem is probably overkill (but I am trying to build a stockpile of guts for future projects too). I am running two 4600 mah a123 batteries from electrodynamics. I have a separate a123 for my ignition and I am not concerned about the ignition. What I am concerned about is the power supply to the servos in my wing. I have a simple two aileron servo and two flap servo setup. I have added four servos (standard size analog servos, no frills) to actuate dropping mechanisms in the wing. I would like to combine all my wiring (lighting too) into two 6 pin plugs. In doing this I am consolidating all the +/- lines from eight servos and separating the signal wires. In doing this am I causing problems in powering my servos. The four control servos are Hitec HS 755MG and the four accessory servos are JR Sport 47BB servos.

Thanks!
Chris
cmoore806 is offline Find More Posts by cmoore806
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-04-2012, 10:59 AM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
It will work fine, prolly better. Just use a larger power and negative to power the junction spot were the + and -0 come together. Like 16 gadge wire.
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Old 01-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore806 View Post
I need some advice. I am using a PowerSystem Competition 12 Turbo in my Super Flying King. This is not an unlimited aerobatic plane by any means and this powersystem is probably overkill (but I am trying to build a stockpile of guts for future projects too). I am running two 4600 mah a123 batteries from electrodynamics. I have a separate a123 for my ignition and I am not concerned about the ignition. What I am concerned about is the power supply to the servos in my wing. I have a simple two aileron servo and two flap servo setup. I have added four servos (standard size analog servos, no frills) to actuate dropping mechanisms in the wing. I would like to combine all my wiring (lighting too) into two 6 pin plugs. In doing this I am consolidating all the +/- lines from eight servos and separating the signal wires. In doing this am I causing problems in powering my servos. The four control servos are Hitec HS 755MG and the four accessory servos are JR Sport 47BB servos.

Thanks!
Chris
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me... I guess if weight is not a concern then 2, 4600mah A123s if fine but it is probably twice what is really needed. I routinely fly 40% planes that consume near 1000mah per flight on 2, 2300mah A123 packs. The beauty of A123s is that you can charge them in about 15 minutes so I simply charge them after 3 flights and it normally takes < 15 minutes to recharge. Of course it's all about what feels good to you so if the weight of 2, 4600mah packs isn't a problem and you don't want to charge at the field, go for it.

If I'm understanding your description correctly, you are planning on using a single 6 pin (probably) multiplex connector per wing, is that correct? On that single connector you would like to power 4 servos (1 aileron, 1 flap, 2 drops) plus lighting? If that is correct, that sounds like too much for a single connector. Unless you have a small circuit board that "fans out" all the + / - connections, you would need to solder at least 4 wires to a single pin for each of the + and minus leads, more if you were including lighting. Sounds like to much power per pin and also difficult to assemble. Personally, I would use 2 multiplex connectors per wing (1 for aileron / flaps, another for drops) with a single wire per pin and use a completely separate connector for your lighting.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore806 View Post
Thanks!
Chris
Hi,
The Multiplex connectors are good for about 6 amps per pin. This is good for about 2 servos. We do have 8-pin Multiplex type connectors available we are going to start using on some of our more advanced units. With 8 pins this provides you with 4 signals wires and 2 servos per power/ground pair. If you are interested call us.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply