logo
Old 05-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abobo808 View Post
If you run down a lipo what needs to be done is to dispose of it and buy a new lipo .This is one of the reasons why there's fires somebody reads this and tries it out .I mean it must work that guy on the internet did it
Works for me, I've accidentally run the same tx lipo batt down twice and used the same method. Batt is 3 years old and still going strong. I added a warning to my previous post.

Heck...I've over discharged and swelled some lipo batts on accident, let them sit for several months while the swelling went down, threw them on the charger and still fly them in electric planes to this day. TRY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Find More Posts by Luke352
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feliperc View Post
Ok guys, so the "mystery " is solved.
Here is what happened: He was charging 2 LIPO BATTERIES (different packs than the ones in the picture I posted). They were 2s 7.4V. He got a new board to charge the 2 of them at the same time in parallel. The packs were on a table as I mentioned before and the plane was near by. His mistake was that when entering the settings in the charger he choose 4s, that means that for the charger there was a 14.8V pack. Silly mistake that could have happened to anyone. He knew that the voltage was suppose to be the same but unfortunately he was distracted when entering the info in the charger. So in this case wasn't a battery issue, it was human error and a bit of bad luck when the battery in fire landed right into the plane setting near by.
I 'm still happy it wasn't worst, he can eventually replace the plane, but a whole house or a life would be a totally different story.
That will do it!

What charger was he using. Most wouldn't charge 2s as 4s as it would have just given a warning and not allowed a charge to go ahead.
Luke352 is offline Find More Posts by Luke352
Old 06-01-2014, 12:46 AM
Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
had one lipo burn on me.......i was watching when it started so i grabbed the lead and chucked it. in my brilliance i charged a a123 on lipo setting.....it went poof and that was the end. no fire. had a 4.8 nimh pack light off on me once using a quick charger, it destroyed the plane. now i remove the batts and watch, if i cannot i stuff em in a old crock pot and put it outside.
JohnBer is offline Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old 06-01-2014, 05:54 AM
Find More Posts by RthrBeFlyn
If it flies, I like it.
United States, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jun 2008
26 Posts
I charged one of the 6.6V green LiFe batteries on the 9.9V setting once. It made an audible "poof" and had swelled, but thankfully no fire. Expensive lesson.
RthrBeFlyn is offline Find More Posts by RthrBeFlyn
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by superstocktx
Joined Apr 2009
2,548 Posts
How is that possible? If I plugged a 6.6 life into my charger and set it to charge for a 9.9 batt, it wouldn't even start the charge cycle, it would warn me...."voltage low" I guess it's your charger maybe.
superstocktx is offline Find More Posts by superstocktx
Old 06-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by feliperc
United States, NY, New Paltz
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Unfortunately he wasn't balancing, he was just charging the 2 batteries in parallel using a new board he got.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke352 View Post
That will do it!

What charger was he using. Most wouldn't charge 2s as 4s as it would have just given a warning and not allowed a charge to go ahead.
feliperc is offline Find More Posts by feliperc

Quick Reply