logo
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts
I think they are about 5lbs lighter which makes for a much better mannered plane...
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier!
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2walla View Post
I think they are about 5lbs lighter which makes for a much better mannered plane...
Yep, very true. I have flown both and the BH Cub is a nice well mannered bird.

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old 07-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Find More Posts by lebowski
little lebowski urban acheiver
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Sep 2009
368 Posts
thats pretty much what i expected. As far as Bills Airplanes go I love mine,granted i have one and i plan on getting this one in light blue when Bill gets them this August. im gonna run a DLE 30 in it but with the weight it should be a good flying airplane.
lebowski is offline Find More Posts by lebowski
Old 07-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by Buzzed
3D Sunset Flier!
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Dec 2008
381 Posts
Oh man, the blue one rocks! I had a big World Models blue one till I went to the bathroom at the field and when I returned to the flight station it was in 2,000 pieces. Oh well, my buddy who was flying it and I are still great friends. Hehe!

I want a red one with a big Scorpion or Hacker on it eventually. Maybe a 12S setup. Cleaner and no vibration.

The 30 is gonna' be awesome. I can't wait to see your build and vids.

-Buzzed

P.S. My axel broke yesterday in the garage of all places as I was setting it down. Glad it didn't happen on landing... My buddy Yuri had an extra set of 2" axels, so she is ready to fly again. We are heading out to the field later when it's only 105 (Ughhhhh) to fly our Cubs. He has a beautiful electric H9 1/4 scale.
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old 07-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by cmala3
Madison, AL
Joined Feb 2007
321 Posts
Anyone have an opinion on HS-985MG Servos for this plane either 12S electric or DLE-55?

Those servos are rated at 172 oz-in torque at 6v and I'd run them at 6.5v. One per aileron, one per elevator, and one rudder.

Price-wise, above that all I see is the 7955 as the next choice unless I'm missing a servo somewhere.
cmala3 is offline Find More Posts by cmala3
Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 AM
Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Belgium
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
The 985MG should do the trick, depends a bit on your flying style, i'm using the older 5945MG i had lying around. I'd go for the gas option...you will fly alot more and if your towing gliders, the batts will be empty sooner as you'd like...

My build thread : https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...58#post1508386
Has anyone a picture of how to control the choke on a DA-50R ? Manually or servo wise...
I'm thinking of putting thru the "bonnet", between the cowl and canopy...it's not aesthetic though...
Gaaaz is offline Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by terickson
4Gpo-Girls,Guns,Guitars,Giants
Durham, Ca
Joined Jul 2006
147 Posts
"Has anyone a picture of how to control the choke on a DA-50R ? Manually or servo wise...
I'm thinking of putting thru the "bonnet", between the cowl and canopy...it's not aesthetic though..."

You could make it look like a real Cub gas "gauge" stick........I think it would be very cool.

Is that a cable I see on your throttle servo? I would not trust a Walbro return spring myself, rod linkage for me.
terickson is offline Find More Posts by terickson
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Belgium
Joined Feb 2006
73 Posts
Yeah, probably going to make a rod linkage with a 90° bend into the cockpit to control the choke.

That is indeed a cable controlling the throttle, first time i do it, i might change it to a rod linkage, see how it works...

Gr Wim
Gaaaz is offline Find More Posts by Gaaaz
Old 07-16-2011, 04:26 AM
Find More Posts by 1 big skeeter
SheepDog
United States, TX, Harris
Joined Feb 2011
109 Posts
Giving SERIOUS thought about this ARF and powering it with a SYSSA SAP 180. Just gotta talk the X2 into it......
1 big skeeter is offline Find More Posts by 1 big skeeter
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by ExtPlt
Joined Jan 2008
290 Posts
The Cub is done and test flown with the DLE 30. Final dry weight is 13 lbs. 6 oz. Im very happy with the performance of the plane and engine combo. It does not have unlimited vertical but that might be due to prop and needle settings, not to mention Im at 4,800 ft and the temp was HOT and muggy for the first flight. I cant wait to get more time to dial in the engine and fine tune some mixing. The plane locked into a KE and surprised the crap out of me. I was cruising around comfortably under 1/4 throttle. The only thing to watch for is this plane will fly SLOW and on landing with power off you will lose a fare amount of yaw control but the plane will still be floating in. Just keep a little power to keep air flow over the surfaces and your golden. I like the looks of the Xoar prop and since this plane is for my son and teaching him to fly I will stay with it, but that might be hindering the vertical performance.
ExtPlt is offline Find More Posts by ExtPlt
Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Joined Jan 2008
290 Posts
Here is what the cowl looks like after chopping it to fit the DLE 30. Its not bad and I still might get a new cowl to try the header can combo I got with the engine.
And for the CG, it balanced at the wing bolts with the wing on and with out the wings on it balanced at the center of the wing tube.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Jan 2008
290 Posts
Anyone else finish and fly their Cub?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by Bedeone
Ciq Skills
Belgium
Joined Jun 2010
75 Posts
Since some of you guys have already built this model I'm fairly sure you'll be able to answer this question;

Are the elevators removable for transport? I reckon it would be a tedious process if at all possible due to the elevator servos being mounted on the fuse rather than the surfaces.

Nice plane that fills the void of 50cc Cubs, but perhaps not an option to people without a trailer or a truck?
Bedeone is offline Find More Posts by Bedeone
Old 07-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Joined Jan 2008
290 Posts
The stabs are not removable. Its a one piece setup. A van or SUV will work, and a mid to large car might do the trick to.

Quick Reply