logo
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Find More Posts by roadrunner
Joined Jan 2008
64 Posts
Tail Wheel

I have seen guy use a piece of fuel tubing and zip tie instead of the springs to keep keep wheel strait. I just cant see how they hook it up to the arms on the tail wheel and rudder please help pics would be great
roadrunner is offline Find More Posts by roadrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Find More Posts by bgold
United States, AZ, Sun City
Joined Apr 2007
1,242 Posts
Re: Tail Wheel

https://www.flyinggiants.com/swapsho...uct=9177&cat=2

Lots of pictures, contact Smackey he'll help you if you don't understand the pictures. This is the best set up I have found for tail wheel steering.
Bill
bgold is offline Find More Posts by bgold
Old 05-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by nickb
Boulder is my Hero!!!
Valdosta GA
Joined Jan 2006
271 Posts

I use the same setup, but I use fishing swivels instead. It takes 4 swivels (the ones with the snaps on one end), one for each end of the tubes. Snip off the loop side of the swivel (not the snap) so that you have the snap end and the round ball part that it swivels in. Put the ball into the tubing and secure it with a zip tie around the tube so that it can't slip out. The beauty is that you can adjust the length of the unit so that the wheel is centered. The snaps make it easily removable and don't wear out like the plastic zip ties through a metal arm. (been there)

Hope this makes sense. Nick
nickb is offline Find More Posts by nickb
Old 05-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by flyinhi1
Tucson, AZ.
Joined Oct 2006
61 Posts

Yep, Nick -- that's the way I've been doing on my last few planes and it's the best I could have come up with. Glad to see someone else doesn't think tackle is just for fishing anymore. Lots of goodies for RC use in the fishing section of your local Wally world, just use your imagination. I use colored surgical tubing from CVS drug store instead of fuel tubing, but I've even bought replacement bands for slingshots and cut them up for use as well. Surgical tubing has more spring than fuel tube. Try it, you'll like this set up!!
flyinhi1 is offline Find More Posts by flyinhi1
Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Find More Posts by billd3
United States, VA, Charles City
Joined Jul 2008
427 Posts

I have used 1/16th ID fuel tubing from Dubro and screw eyes...believe it or not...just press the screw threads into the tube ends and attach to the tailwheel assembly with your favorite method. Usually I just pry open the "eye", hook it to the tillers and squeeze it shut. I've used this on up to 35% planes without the thing pulling apart.
billd3 is offline Find More Posts by billd3
Old 05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Here is another setup that works very well and eliminates that sharp edge. It also serves as a travel limit to prevent overdriving the tail wheel.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD

Quick Reply