logo
Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Rantoul IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,179 Posts
Colin McRae Killed in helicopter crash.

Not sure if many of you guys follow WRC racing but he was pretty badass driver, sad to lose a champ. Been a hell of a year for full scale aviation.

Rally ace Colin McRae dies in helicopter crash
GARETH ROSE AND JEREMY WATSON

SCOTTISH rally champion Colin McRae has been killed in a helicopter crash close to his Lanarkshire home.

The Twin Squirrel helicopter registered to the former world champion rally driver came down shortly after 4pm yesterday about 200 yards from his 17th-century mansion.

Police sources said the blue helicopter used by the 39-year-old multi-millionaire had exploded in a "fireball".

Eyewitness David Lowry, who lives nearby, said he watched as the helicopter plunged into a valley.

As many as four people are thought to have died in the crash. Jean-Eric Freudiger, McRae's agent, confirmed McRae had been piloting the helicopter.

Locals said they feared McRae had been travelling with another adult and two children. A Strathclyde Police spokeswoman confirmed there were no survivors. Officers were trying to establish who was on board and where the helicopter was travelling to and from.

"The damage has been so bad that we don't know how many people were on board. It might be one, it might be more," she said. "We just don't know at the moment."

She added that it could be some time before official identifications can be made.

Weather conditions at the time were deteriorating with strengthening winds and light rain. Members of the Department of Transport's Air Accidents Investigation Branch were travelling to the scene at Jerviswood, one mile north of Lanark last night.

The Scottish Ambulance Service confirmed that its own helicopter had been sent to the scene along with three ambulance crews. Strathclyde Fire Brigade also had units in attendance.

David Lowry, 48, who owns New Steadings Farm, just across the Mouse Water from McRae's home, saw the helicopter crash.

He said: "I was speaking to one of my friends on the farm. The helicopter came overhead and then dropped into the valley. After it disappeared I saw smoke rising from the trees and phoned the emergency services. I could not see what happened when it went down. It did not seem to be in any trouble. It was about half a mile from me and the helicopter seemed to be flying normally.

"It was navy blue in colour and I am led to believe it belongs to Colin McRae. It is up so often my cattle don't even flinch when it is overhead."

He added: "I know him well enough to say hello to, although I don't know him personally. If it turns out to be him it will have an unbelievable effect on the local community."

He added: "Colin is a very popular person around here. We only moved here seven years ago, but they are a Lanark family born and bred."

As darkness fell last night, police had erected an incident tent in the woods at the scene of the crash. Officers threw a 600-yard cordon around the house. Friends and relatives of the McRae family were gathering at the home of a neighbour, 300 yards from the McRae home.

McRae, born in Lanark in 1968, was the son of five-time British Rally Champion, Jimmy McRae. He was the first Briton to be named world champion when he won the event in the mid-1990s and was awarded an MBE by the Queen for his outstanding achievements.

He also produced popular and lucrative rally computer games, including Colin McRae Dirt.

McRae bought a home in Monaco in 1995, partly through his friendship with fellow Scot and Formula One driver David Coulthard. However, as his young family grew up, he spent more time back at his home in Lanarkshire, accepting the higher tax liability of living in Scotland. McRae and his wife Alison had two children, Hollie, nine, and five-year-old Johnny.

His brother, Alister, believed to be in Australia at the moment, is also a professional rally driver and has enjoyed some success, including winning the British Rally Championship in 1995.

In addition to the Lanark and Monaco properties, McRae had a home overlooking Lake Geneva and an apartment in Majorca.

He freely admitted enjoying risk-taking, celebrating his first major rallying win, which came in New Zealand, with a bungee-jump over a ravine.

In addition, he drove a Lamborghini and a series of high-powered motorcycles.
Chris Puckett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Puckett
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by dubd
Turbine Hucker
Silicon Valley
Joined May 2007
1,609 Posts
Re: Colin McRae Killed in helicopter crash.

Man, that is very sad. He is my favorite WRC racer. Hell, I even have all the Colin Mcrae video games too.
dubd is offline Find More Posts by dubd
Last edited by dubd; 09-16-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Find More Posts by shiller
Joined Mar 2006
56 Posts

I'm in shock! I know we all gotta go sometime, but you can't help take pause when someone so young dies especially when it is so horrific.
shiller is offline Find More Posts by shiller
Old 09-17-2007, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by FUNFLYERKE
Belgium
Joined Jan 2006
34 Posts

Sadly his son was also in the helicopter....

A great champion left us ...
FUNFLYERKE is offline Find More Posts by FUNFLYERKE
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 AM
Find More Posts by Cracky
WHATS CRACKALAKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wentzville, MO
Joined Jan 2006
9,312 Posts

That is very sad........
Cracky is offline Find More Posts by Cracky
Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by Craven
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Feb 2006
10,852 Posts

Sucks!
Craven is offline Find More Posts by Craven
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 10-12-2007, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by 3Disaster
Enough is never quite enough.
Milford, PA
Joined Sep 2007
420 Posts

Wow, That really blows. He was my favorite rally driver....
3Disaster is offline Find More Posts by 3Disaster
Old 10-23-2007, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by prizzy
High Point, NC
Joined Oct 2006
9,210 Posts

Regrets. Terrible thing.
prizzy is offline Find More Posts by prizzy

Quick Reply