logo
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by 49dimes
Joined Dec 2010
2,114 Posts
Is this 61 in your Pilot Edge? At 6500 you should have no problems with flight performance as long as the engine transitions smoothly. Your local weather conditions may have a bigger part to play here. Your ring could be an issue if it is stuck in the groove. This can be misleading due to a stuck ring can feel like good compression when the engine is cold.
49dimes is offline Find More Posts by 49dimes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-01-2014, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by raptorheli2
United Kingdom, Scotland, Glasgow
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
i have a pilot edge with a mintor 60 in it, i also used to get 6500rpm with a 23x8 but that was with a DLE55, the mintor spins a 24x8 at about 6900 from memory (i fly my 100's more) so i'd expect the GP61 to be atleast that. IMO 6500 with a 50cc plane on a 23x8 is pointless.....yes yes loads fly there but why have power when you can have POWER.

btw, i should add, IMO mtw are quiet but they sure rob power if it is a front exit. my rule of thumb for exhausts is simple-

1. will a pipe fit...buy it
2. will a rear exit can fit...if so a pipe will so mod it!

if the answer to both of those is no then make one of them fit :-). i have never had a front exit can worth a toss (JMB, MTW, zimmerman, DLE) so if you must have a can then get a rear dump.

anyways, to prove if you have an exhaust issue or not, bolt on the stock muffler and run it up. if you get the same numbers then you have something else going on.

cheers
raptorheli2 is offline Find More Posts by raptorheli2
Old 09-01-2014, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49dimes View Post
Is this 61 in your Pilot Edge? At 6500 you should have no problems with flight performance as long as the engine transitions smoothly. Your local weather conditions may have a bigger part to play here. Your ring could be an issue if it is stuck in the groove. This can be misleading due to a stuck ring can feel like good compression when the engine is cold.

Stuck ring... Haven't checked that at all. Mostly because I don't want to strip the engine from the airframe again..
If the weathers crap this weekend then I'll strip it. Otherwise I'll just fly the smaller Edge with the Mintor 33.
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 09-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorheli2 View Post
i have a pilot edge with a mintor 60 in it, i also used to get 6500rpm with a 23x8 but that was with a DLE55, the mintor spins a 24x8 at about 6900 from memory (i fly my 100's more) so i'd expect the GP61 to be atleast that. IMO 6500 with a 50cc plane on a 23x8 is pointless.....yes yes loads fly there but why have power when you can have POWER.

btw, i should add, IMO mtw are quiet but they sure rob power if it is a front exit. my rule of thumb for exhausts is simple-

1. will a pipe fit...buy it
2. will a rear exit can fit...if so a pipe will so mod it!

if the answer to both of those is no then make one of them fit :-). i have never had a front exit can worth a toss (JMB, MTW, zimmerman, DLE) so if you must have a can then get a rear dump.

anyways, to prove if you have an exhaust issue or not, bolt on the stock muffler and run it up. if you get the same numbers then you have something else going on.

cheers

It is a front exit MTW. Its really crap when a DLE55 outdrags my Edge in an upline...

Going to refit the std muffler again and see what rpm I get. Then I'll fit the MVVS3411 and compare
Old 09-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
MTW do recommend a header length for a DA50 on that can, i can't remember where i seen it though and even if it would be of any use.

i wouldn't bother getting another front exit can btw, if you are buying anything then just get a pipe and be done with it or if it must be a can, get a rear exit one.

BTW, i don't own a GP61, it is the 123 i have but i've played with a loooot of mufflers and i've always been disappointed except one, mintor 60 can with the mintor 60 engine is amazing. i had a JMB and a MTW 75 on the mintor, both were poor for power, bolted mintor can on and bam, 6-700rpm more!

cheers
Last edited by raptorheli2; 09-01-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
thanks for the tip! YEs MTW recommend 270mm to 290mm for that can. I've got my header up to 330mm and no change.

I already have the MVVS3411 for my 58PS so I won't be wasting money. If it works then I'll get another or a pipe for the MVVS.
I prefer the cans not so much for regulations but rather because I like to be able to hear myself think. That GP61 side dump is very noisey!
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Mental Machinist
Joined Sep 2011
326 Posts
Timble instead of hacking up your cowl just run the stock muffler with the cowl off just for a test. You don't need to hack up the cowl that way. Then grab yourself an RE2 or some pipe easily available to you
Mental Machinist is offline Find More Posts by Mental Machinist
Old 09-01-2014, 04:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
That's what I intend to do. Will run it on stock on the ground. Was just referring to if I decide to just keep the stock muffler then I would have to hack the cowl. Would much rather justified a canister or tuned pipe that works
Old 09-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2011
866 Posts
Like you timble, no one here runs the stock mufflers with any engine, the noise will simply not be tolerated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by andersoneric04
3D Heli pilot turned planker
United States, WI, Madison
Joined Nov 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBle View Post
I prefer the cans not so much for regulations but rather because I like to be able to hear myself think. That GP61 side dump is very noisey!
Yes the side dump is a bit loud but I love it! It reminds me of the Kawasaki ZX6R/ Muzzy pipe combo I had in College, when she's wide open. I have the GP Pitts and its much quieter and only restricts about 50rpm. You should be getting the following data, all day, using the stock exhaust and carb at 900' ASL:

Carbon fiber Falcon 24 x 9

Timing retarted all the way - 6800 - 6850rpm
Timing set at 29 degrees -6950 - 7000rpm
Timing over 29 results in difficult tunning and poor performance
andersoneric04 is offline Find More Posts by andersoneric04
Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Find More Posts by cap23244
CAP 232'S AND COLT 44'S
United States, OH, Warren
Joined Jan 2011
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorheli2 View Post
Like you timble, no one here runs the stock mufflers with any engine, the noise will simply not be tolerated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Cheers
hum
were I live here in ohio we all run stock pipes. I run stock on every thing
cap23244 is offline Find More Posts by cap23244
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 AM
Joined Dec 2010
4,983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersoneric04 View Post
Yes the side dump is a bit loud but I love it! It reminds me of the Kawasaki ZX6R/ Muzzy pipe combo I had in College, when she's wide open. I have the GP Pitts and its much quieter and only restricts about 50rpm. You should be getting the following data, all day, using the stock exhaust and carb at 900' ASL:

Carbon fiber Falcon 24 x 9

Timing retarted all the way - 6800 - 6850rpm
Timing set at 29 degrees -6950 - 7000rpm
Timing over 29 results in difficult tunning and poor performance

Thanks! That's a good benchmark.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by lornel
Joined Jan 2008
225 Posts
I have seen a couple hundred rpm drop on some mtw can setups. My da 170 had very slow transition as well when fitted to mtw cans

Double check to see that the throttle is not going past the stop some how and the butterfly is going closed again on the top end.

also these pipes are only about $135 usd and work awesome on the gp 61 gp 123

https://store-rwblbun.mybigcommerce....&productId=936

see testing here
http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=259281
lornel is offline Find More Posts by lornel
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Limitless Aero
Tyler, tx
Joined Oct 2010
1,658 Posts
Link to the pipes http://www.pro-rc.ca/pro-rc-hype-pip...0cc-tune-pipe/
KoleDeRacer is offline Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Old 09-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Find More Posts by smokdup
Murfreesboro TN
Joined Nov 2008
221 Posts
Guy I have ?..my buddies gp61 will start and run awsome the first flight...but it will not restart if I fly and refuel and try to fly again....choke it and it pops...open choke and it will almost start..it wears me out ...I just give up
smokdup is offline Find More Posts by smokdup

Quick Reply