Old 12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by diamondave5
I fly in my head all day
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
Discussion
throttle pumping??

okay ive been flying for a while and can do some half way decent 3d type flying, but ive always been curious about why some people seem to excessively "pump" the throttle during all kinds of moves, even high alpha KE and harriers, i kinda pump it if im hovering and want to get some good torque rolling going, or if i need to make a major correction in a hover, im still working on rollers so i cant comment on what i do with throttle there yet, but is there a reason some people work the crap out of the throttle? maybe if on pipes it helps keep engine up on the pipe?
diamondave5 is offline Find More Posts by diamondave5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
because they are behind the throttle or they don't have a small enough curve in the throttle or the ratchet in the throttle doesn't give them a small enough throttle input. Simple as that.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
It is annoying... but you see almost everyone doing it. I try to do rollers and other maneuvers without pumping the throttle, but I almost always wind up with too much throttle and have to come off of it. I would be happy with bumping it, I just don't have enough coordination to get through something like a roller and manage the throttle!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
doing rollers, youre banging the sticks in every direction. Its nearly impossible to maintain a steady throttle while doing it. if you concentrate on maintaining a steady throttle, you end up with too much or not enough. its easier to bang the throttle around too and helps kinda keep it things steady. also, when youre high alpha knife-edge or other high-alpha maneuvers, i find that you can hold steady control inputs and use your throttle to maintain altitude without changing the angle of the plane very much. i dont goose the throttle as much as i think youre talking about but, im not a 3 channel flier either......LOL
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Find More Posts by airbike
Walnut, Calif
Joined Jan 2006
517 Posts
sometimes, its just the different sounds of the exhaust as the plane is rolling and the exhausts gets alternately blanked and exposed. I know I've heard the noise changing even when I wasn't moving the throttle.
airbike is offline Find More Posts by airbike
Old 12-04-2011, 08:36 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,773 Posts
You get more air over the control surfaces when you pump the throttle. The blast of air over the surfaces will put more air over them without picking up speed. If you've ever driven an inboard type ski boat you have to do the same thing to get it to turn at extremely low speeds, otherwise it doesn't turn. Try it some time, start with something simple like a regular harrier and see if you can hold less elevator than you normall do with a steady throttle setting.
camss69 is offline Find More Posts by camss69
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
yeh i kinda understand about when making correction that blast of wind helps, and like i said i suck at rollers still so can comment on that, was just kinda suprised when hearing in a harrier and certian other things where it didnt seem needed, at least not to the extent of some people doing it, guess i will have to try doing harriers next time with and without doing it and see what happens, ive seen vids of people having smooth ones with same throttle and smooth with lots of throttle inputs, not sure what works for me the best, havnt done alot of harriers lately, if i jack the throttle around that much i will probably end up moving the stick ever so slighty to the sides making the rudder move too when i dont want it to
Old 12-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by camss69
DDD
Joined Dec 2006
1,773 Posts
It doesnt take a lot of throttle to do it just little blasts.
camss69 is offline Find More Posts by camss69
Old 12-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
because they are behind the throttle or they don't have a small enough curve in the throttle or the ratchet in the throttle doesn't give them a small enough throttle input. Simple as that.
Not quite that simple. I fly with a heli radio so the throttle is silky smooth. My curve is very linear.I like constant burst of air with every input. I used to do eveything barely changing throttle setting but found everything to be more steady and controllable by bliping the snot out of the throttle. Now I can't do a simple straight rolling harrier without pumping the heck out of the throttle. For me, when you're trying to just drag the tail without it grabbing the ground, constant small blips of throttle seem to help me keep it right where I want it. If I go back to just barely changing throttle, I'll rub the tail into the ground too hard or jump a foot higher. Different strokes for different folks is all.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planecajun View Post
doing rollers, youre banging the sticks in every direction. Its nearly impossible to maintain a steady throttle while doing it..............LOL
he he he he.... not impossible though!!

(Fast Fwd to about 2 minutes)
I am a 3 channel flyer... if I had to articulate the power too I would be hosed!! lol
[ame]http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/FASST-3W-AW_Su29-Duralite.wmv[/ame]

I first saw (Heard) it being done by QQ... and I was assuming it was because the midrange with the pipes (or canisters) he was using was so flat he ratcheted the throttle so that the average power was about right.....

I have also watched mode 2 pilots do harriers... and the left thumb seems to naturally go thru an arc as the rudder changes back and forth from left-to-right-to-left-to-right etc etc etc.....
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Find More Posts by jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!
the STICKS and yes, california has sticks, CA.
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Rhythm......for me.
jm_mac is offline Find More Posts by jm_mac
Old 12-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts
in that vid the engine sounds more graceful
Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by cyoung450
Which Rudder??
Plano, TX
Joined Jan 2006
611 Posts
I treat the throttle as another control surface when in 3D.....it has major effects on a lot of different things....
cyoung450 is offline Find More Posts by cyoung450
Old 12-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by jm_mac
Shut up....AND THROW DOWN!
the STICKS and yes, california has sticks, CA.
Joined May 2009
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
he he he he.... not impossible though!!

(Fast Fwd to about 2 minutes)
I am a 3 channel flyer... if I had to articulate the power too I would be hosed!! lol
http://www.giantcircus.com/Videos/FA...9-Duralite.wmv

I first saw (Heard) it being done by QQ... and I was assuming it was because the midrange with the pipes (or canisters) he was using was so flat he ratcheted the throttle so that the average power was about right.....

I have also watched mode 2 pilots do harriers... and the left thumb seems to naturally go thru an arc as the rudder changes back and forth from left-to-right-to-left-to-right etc etc etc.....
Hey Mike, you complimented me on my flying a couple of years ago..........after watching that video I realized..............YOU WERE CLOWNING ME!!!!!!!!

Slow and low..gotta love it. Stroup style.
jm_mac is offline Find More Posts by jm_mac
Old 12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
very nice flying in the video Mith. yeah, its not impossible, most of us dont have that kind of skill though.
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun

Quick Reply