logo
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by JIMZACH
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
Henry, i too am using the Pro Flows on my 200, this is however my first from them. What did you have on the first one for exhaust ? Oh BTW brian, i dont know if you have ever seen one of them in person or not, but they are of the finest quality. Not mention they are built and designed in the good ol USA ! And they have the best customer service.

Zach
JIMZACH is offline Find More Posts by JIMZACH
Last edited by JIMZACH; 02-24-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by mbacosa
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined May 2008
2,094 Posts
I ran the Pro-Flows on the my 200 as well. They were very high quality, reasonably prices by comparison and sounded awesome. With a 3 blade it's almost silent. I would use them again in heartbeat.
mbacosa is online now Find More Posts by mbacosa
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by Professor
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Nov 2006
467 Posts
I have run rear exit Pro-Flows and rear exit KS95s on the DA200. Both work very well with similar performance numbers. The KS95s are a bit quieter, but both are very quiet. One significant difference between the two cans is weight. A pair of ProFlows is 6 ounces heavier compared to a pair of KS95s. The ProFlows have the advantage of being strong (very hard to dent), but at the cost of adding weight. On this particular build thread/project I am surprised that KS95s were not used since a stated goal of the project is to build a very light plane. You are spending lots of time and money coring the wings, fuselage, etc. Why not also buy the lightest components for the plane? Instead of paying for a very expensive mag case on the DA200, you could have saved similar weight by purchasing KS95s instead of ProFlows with no additional cost. Interested to hear if there are other reasons that you wanted to go with ProFlows.
Kurt
Professor is offline Find More Posts by Professor
Old 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughLandin View Post
Henry,
Are you using the Proflow cans on your current plane? I swear that is the quietest plane I have heard it even gives some of the electrics a run for their money. I keep hearing mixed reviews on the Pro-flows, if these are new for you what made you switch?
Well that's a good question, I love the way it runs on the K&S cans and I might have fallen victim to the Pro-flow hype. I'm sure they will be fine and if I don't like them for some reason I can always switch back, just have to wait and see.
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
I have run rear exit Pro-Flows and rear exit KS95s on the DA200. Both work very well with similar performance numbers. The KS95s are a bit quieter, but both are very quiet. One significant difference between the two cans is weight. A pair of ProFlows is 6 ounces heavier compared to a pair of KS95s. The ProFlows have the advantage of being strong (very hard to dent), but at the cost of adding weight. On this particular build thread/project I am surprised that KS95s were not used since a stated goal of the project is to build a very light plane. You are spending lots of time and money coring the wings, fuselage, etc. Why not also buy the lightest components for the plane? Instead of paying for a very expensive mag case on the DA200, you could have saved similar weight by purchasing KS95s instead of ProFlows with no additional cost. Interested to hear if there are other reasons that you wanted to go with ProFlows.
Kurt
Kurt
Holly crap, I didn't even know that! I had no idea they are that much heavier. I just weighed a set of K&S cans and they are 21.3 oz. The Pro-flows are 28.9, that's a 7.6 oz difference!!!! I don't think I will be using the Pro-flows. That's just to much of a weight penalty. Thank you for pointing that out, it just never occured to me they would be that much heavier.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2006
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Piorun View Post
Kurt
I just weighed a set of K&S cans and they are 21.3 oz. The Pro-flows are 28.9, that's a 7.6 oz difference!!!! .
Are those weights for rear exit or front exit cans?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor View Post
Are those weights for rear exit or front exit cans?
The K&S ones I weighed are the rear, is there a difference between front and rear exit on the K&S?
The Pro-flows are the front exaust.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
8oz is a weight penalty ?? But seriously i went with the pro flows to try somthing new. And i love em ! I mean really our planes are sickly over powered with the 200 on it. The 8 oz just doesnt seem like a lot but thats just me. I think you have the right idea though henry, try em and if you dont like em you could always sell em and get the KS.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2006
467 Posts
I only run rear exit cans, so I don't know a weight on the front exit KS95s.
My set of rear exit ProFlows weighs 28.1 oz which is a bit lighter than your front exit ProFlows.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMZACH View Post
8oz is a weight penalty ?? But seriously i went with the pro flows to try somthing new. And i love em ! I mean really our planes are sickly over powered with the 200 on it. The 8 oz just doesnt seem like a lot but thats just me. I think you have the right idea though henry, try em and if you dont like em you could always sell em and get the KS.

Well this was a lot of interesting information today. I know what you are saying for sure but the idea I had with this plane is to make it as light as reasonable possible, even going to the length of paying an extra $800 for a mag case 200. That saves about 8 oz so it would be kind of a waist to add that weight back on by going with the heavier cans when it would be just as easy to use the lighter ones. Actually I origianlly bought the Pro-flows for the 170 because they were supposed to improve the sloppy mid range. Then later on I decied just to go with the 200, so the pro-flows have just been laying around here waiting for the new plane. Oh well, live and learn I guess!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Henry... I saw your name pop up, so I thought I'd drop a quick note.... I bought one of your DA200 shrouds for teh Carden Extra 300, and used it on my CARF Extra 330... with just a little trimming, it works great! Thanks for making these available. Saved me hours of glass work.
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Old 02-25-2012, 02:03 AM
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyn3545 View Post
Henry... I saw your name pop up, so I thought I'd drop a quick note.... I bought one of your DA200 shrouds for teh Carden Extra 300, and used it on my CARF Extra 330... with just a little trimming, it works great! Thanks for making these available. Saved me hours of glass work.
That's great, I'm glad it worked out!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 AM
WELLINGTON,FLORIDA USA
Joined Mar 2006
567 Posts
So henry, first id like to apologize if i sounded rude didnt mean to. But i understand what your saying.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Find More Posts by harv
it wont go any lower
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2006
2,920 Posts
how light would you wanna go with a plane that size. for a 124" wing, wouldnt anything less than 40lbs be too floaty?
harv is offline Find More Posts by harv
Old 02-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harv View Post
how light would you wanna go with a plane that size. for a 124" wing, wouldnt anything less than 40lbs be too floaty?
No
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker

Quick Reply