logo
Old 01-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by reyn3545
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
Schidt, it doesn't matter, they all eventually wind up in the dirt!
reyn3545 is offline Find More Posts by reyn3545
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by ScottR
United States, IN, Fishers
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
All great stuff and thanks for the info. I am going through both websites. 3DHS and extreme flight. Which plane do you recommend from 3DHS? What are the issues with the Aero works planes? Those were really the 3 I was looking at. May get an Aero Works 35CC and throw a DA50 in it for my son. Any issues with that plane? Not sure if that is toooo much power. I had been reading up on the a123's and did see an article on how to determine voltage. Thanks again.
ScottR is offline Find More Posts by ScottR
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
i like the 3dhs slicks.....the issue with the aeroworks planes is weight. they are built a little heavier and have higher wing loading than the others mentioned but, i have a aeroworks yak, and it flies very well. they are very well built too.
you wont be unhappy with any of the 3 im guessing. Im not sure if a 50cc would do well in that aeroworks 35cc.......might push the wingloading too high and make it a brick. maybe do a search and see if anyone has tried it, i havent so im just guessing.
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
A 50cc is probably a little much for the 35% planes... the biggest problem will be weight balance and the size of your prop... could make for some pretty tricky takeoffs and landings!

You're looking at 3 very good companies. Any of them sells quality products and stands behind them. The Aeroworks might be a better choice for a first gasser, only because they are built a little more sturdy... that translates to also be a little heavier, but it's a fair trade. My first gas plane was the 50cc Aeroworks Extra.... coming from glow planes, I was amazed at how straight and well it flew! You'll see all 3 vendors well represented at the IMAC and 3D competitions... all 3 companies are very personally involved in the hobby.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2006
10,499 Posts
You'd probably have to do a lot of reworking the firewall and butchering the cowl to get a 50cc motor on a 35cc plane also.... just guessing.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
You may check out the PAU 300sp line up as well. Awesome plane and built very strong and light.
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Old 01-20-2012, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by planebender
Sacramento,Ca.
Joined Jan 2006
3,222 Posts
Welcome Back Scott!

Planebender
planebender is offline Find More Posts by planebender
Old 01-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
This is a link to an Aeroworks 35CC with a DA50. This thread gave me the idea. If you have time let me know what you think. Very true on Takeoffs and Landings. May just have to go with a 30cc for him. Thanks.

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...5cc+with+da+50
Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
The thing about the 3dhs slicks is they present very large,next to any other 5occ they are huge.Sit one next to a 100cc plane and you would swear that a 5occ slick is a 100cc.Mine made my other 50cc gassers look like glow planes
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 01-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Rick1999
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
1,767 Posts
Rick1999 is offline Find More Posts by Rick1999
Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Alright OP ill give you a hint, your getting warmer hahaha. DA and EF/3DHS ooh man your on the right track
Here is my current build run down. My first 50 ccer. Extreme flight edge 540T (3d monster I mean it, watch the videos, google "extreme flight edge joe nall chris jewett"). I'm running hitec 7955 servos, they are good servos, worth the money. I am running two fromeco a123 batteries, through a wolverine switch. This has two leads in and out for two batteries. Two leades to the reciever for true redundency. I have a six channel radio so I have to run a matchbox on my elevators but you won't have that problem. Smart fly ignition kill that just plugs into the reciever and then to the ignition so I can kill the engine remotely. I have a DLE 55 with planebender's (he just posted "welcome back" a little while ago) 3d pro flow canister. Get that my man, it makes your plane have a bad ass sound and it makes any engine run a whole helluva lot better. This plane has a tunnel already built inn for a canister or pipe (but did I mention I recommend a particulat canister ) a DA 60 with a pro flow would be Sick! Just don't skimp on anything, servos, engine, anything. Get it, built her good, do it right, and fly the living **** out of it!
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 01-21-2012, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Dec 2011
3,287 Posts
Alright OP ill give you a hint, your getting warmer hahaha. DA and EF/3DHS ooh man your on the right track
Here is my current build run down. My first 50 ccer. Extreme flight edge 540T (3d monster I mean it, watch the videos, google "extreme flight edge joe nall chris jewett"). I'm running hitec 7955 servos, they are good servos, worth the money. I am running two fromeco a123 batteries, through a wolverine switch. This has two leads in and out for two batteries. Two leades to the reciever for true redundency. I have a six channel radio so I have to run a matchbox on my elevators but you won't have that problem. Smart fly ignition kill that just plugs into the reciever and then to the ignition so I can kill the engine remotely. I have a DLE 55 with planebender's (he just posted "welcome back" a little while ago) 3d pro flow canister. Get that my man, it makes your plane have a bad ass sound and it makes any engine run a whole helluva lot better. This plane has a tunnel already built inn for a canister or pipe (but did I mention I recommend a particulat canister ) a DA 60 with a pro flow would be Sick! Just don't skimp on anything, servos, engine, anything. Get it, built her good, do it right, and fly the living **** out of it!
Huckin Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Huckin Chuck
Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM
Find More Posts by planecajun
United States, LA, Rayne
Joined Apr 2008
2,287 Posts
@ Huckin Chuck........calm down young man, youre stuttering, hmm........is posting twice the same as stuttering? LOL
planecajun is offline Find More Posts by planecajun
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Find More Posts by luv2flyguy
Life Begins at 200 mph!
Gastonia, NC
Joined Aug 2006
1,346 Posts
Welcome
luv2flyguy is offline Find More Posts by luv2flyguy
Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Great stuff guys. I am not sure I will be able to trust a guy that is a Pats fan. Being from Indy, you are my arch enemy I am once again now pondering what to do. Is it a good thing that it is a bigger airplane and still only a 50ccer. Does the Slick weigh more? I was looking at the PAU 300sp as well. The only problem that I have with the 3DHS or EF is that they are not in stock! Anyone have any idea when they will get them? I can wait a little while, but would like to get started. I basically have narrowed it down to PAU 300sp, EF Yak 54, or 3dHS slick. Great info and can't wait to get started.

Quick Reply