logo
This thread is privately moderated by mtndewdewd, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Discussion
2013 IMAC Season (part 11)

Practice day, sort of =\

Was planning on flying both Saturday and Sunday. Didn't work out that way. Was going to Maiden the Extra 260 (Backup Plane) on Saturday and then get some practice on the Carden on Sunday.

Backed the car in the side drive, pulled the trailer out. Hooked it up and went inside for dinner - Friday night. Came out after dinner to tie everything down and get ready to be out of there at 6:30 in the morning. Guess what, Truck won't start After about 4 hrs of troubleshooting, disconnecting batteries, trying all kids of suggestions I found online.. still no go. Worst of all, now I have the trailer pinned in and i can't even get the wife's car in there to take it. Saturday shot. Towed to the dealer, and found out the transciever on the PATS (Ford Passive theft system) went bad and needed to be replaced... but no parts till Monday My dad always told me, and I quote him (in case any women read this I don't believe it at all "if it has t!ts or tires it will give you problems". Sometimes I think he is wiser than I gave him credit for

Now with wife's car and trailer hooked up - head to the field at 6:30. Plane together and last few things tidy'd up. Now 8:30 and ready to take her up.

1st flight is good. Only a few clicks of trim in each axis. Noticed immediately how spoiled i am with the DA-200 on the Carden. Although it has unlimited vertical, it just seems like a turd - but after a few flights I got used to it. Doesn't have enough right thrust and was pulling out on downline. Land fine and add a high throttle to right rudder mix and a low throttle to down elevator mix.

Back up and I quickly realize I added too much. Was now veering as badly to the right as it was to the left before and my downline almost flips itself inverted when I go to Idle. Did a coule KE passes to see what that looks like (I know, out of sequence) and it's not too bad. Fly around a little and go to land. On downwind DEADSTICK Turn in to the runway too soon.. overshoot and roll out into some brush. Only damage was to a 4"x4" piece of covering on the bottom just behind the gear plate. Not bad at all. A little scotch tape and it's ready to go. I adjusted the low idle down 1 click just before I took off on the 2nd flight so I added it back in.

3rd flight, take off fine, upline looks much better, but after a long 45 upline DEADSTICK Hard slip all the way back to the runway and land and go to the end of the runway to retrieve. Start it up again and on full throttle runs at 3-5 seconds the motor sags and dies. Over and over and over. Wheel it back to find air in the line and the clunk had fallen off in the tank. I guess my tank assembly skills suck (I knew that already - shame on me). Anyway, looks like dual 32oz Fortitudes going in this bird also!

So, What was supposed to be a 3-4 trim flight day on Saturday and a 3-4 practice flight with primary plane on sunday turned into more work needed on the backup and ZERO practice on sequence flying

Busy weekend coming up so I may not get to fly at all. Hoping Sunday - but there is a heli event at SVF so I will have to fly at Mustang if I do. Cactus approaching fast and not getting any practice in for it. Need to get it in gear.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Find More Posts by blake26m
Ireland, Thurles
Joined Jan 2011
232 Posts
Great to see your enthusiastic about IMAC. Hoping to have the first ever competition in the Republic of Ireland at the end of the summer this year.
blake26m is offline Find More Posts by blake26m
Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Thanks. I am an aviation nut, and my enthusiasm for it has come and gone over the years. I can say, NOTHING has peaked my interest, enthusiasm, love for it more than when I found out about IMAC. From the moment I found out about it, it has consumed me. It has provided that SPARK you get when you find something new about about something you love - but the difference is that it has not gone away at all. I know I am in the early part of this and maybe when I am a BMACK and can fly perfect routines with ease and no effort it may not be as addictive - but right know, I can't get enough of it.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by blake26m
Ireland, Thurles
Joined Jan 2011
232 Posts
Thats great man. Im delighted iv started flying competition aerobatics between F3A and IMAC. my flying has come on So much and even my 3D has improved enough that i would be confident to fly Freestyle at a competition now. Really looking forward to this season now and going to comps, meeting new people and "Havin the Craic" as we would say here!! I can also feel your pain of trying to get out and practice. The weather is so on off here and but all we can do is put time into it and practice our hearts out.
blake26m is offline Find More Posts by blake26m
Old 03-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by jseven27
2014 IMAC SW Sportsman champ.
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Feb 2007
325 Posts
WHERE IS THE UPDATE??
jseven27 is offline Find More Posts by jseven27
Old 03-20-2013, 03:22 PM
IMAC Wannabe
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jseven27 View Post
WHERE IS THE UPDATE??
Decided to stop posting about Practice unless I learn or do something extraordinary - and neither has happened

I will post after each contest for sure!
Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
Find More Posts by Badams
Work 2 days, Fly 5 days.
United States, AZ
Joined Oct 2006
1,385 Posts
I learned something extraordinary..... everyone, even the new comer to the region... LOVES to pick on Rob...
Badams is offline Find More Posts by Badams

Quick Reply