Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by scott m lyons
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hayes View Post
I have been spending a lot of time with my G3 sim. One of the parameters I have adjusted is structural strength.The plane takes huge abuse without breaking. I have adjusted strength of components down to 70%. Now, it will hold together during a full power blender, a full power level flight wall, but will fail in a full power w/dive wall. What would be most realistic for a 35% Yak 54? Would it fail during a wfo wall? A wfo blender? What would fail, wing or stab? I want to learn to avoid these failures. What have you guys seen?
WFO blenders and walls usually take a wing off. I've been doing 3/4 throttle blenders with the extra, That's about as far as I'm going .
scott m lyons is offline Find More Posts by scott m lyons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by Airworks
FLY
Taxachusetts
Joined Jan 2009
935 Posts
i cant see thinking there would be deals at a show , usually lots of things are at retail pricing as not only do the vendors have travel expenses(which these days pulling a trailer on the highway costs tons of gas cash) , and also need to pay for a "booth" at the event. maybe liquidating some old stock or something for the people that do the drive as "public/hobbiests etc.) and some "giveaways/door prizes", other then that i'd think mostly for showing off new stuff.

with the eceonomy the way it is , i see manufacturers from half way across the country just not doing the drive and "picking and choosing" which they wil attend. i bet the west coast expos are freakin loaded! have to think......where are the most rc hobbiests???? those are the places we will afford to go (trying to think like a manufacturer)....i think the internet is part of the culprit also, so many people are "online" they already see everything thats new and out , i think the manu.'s put more into interenet advertising and product promotion that way these days.

MikPQ.,,, if your thinking about savox servos , go for it!, had a set in a heli now for a year, great servos , and new heli is getting savox also. they got some truly great specs and the ones ive run , have lived up to what i'd had hoped.
new ones goin into the 700 heli are spec'd at 277oz T. and .065speed 7.2v, much faster then the ones im running now and those are plenty fast.

scott! your avatar pic that car is one badass looking machine! WOW.! love it all rusty quit the ratrod
Airworks is offline Find More Posts by Airworks
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Find More Posts by Nikki
Enjoy watching you all fly
MA
Joined Jul 2010
44 Posts
/
Nikki is offline Find More Posts by Nikki
Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by d-reed
berkshire county
Joined Jun 2006
624 Posts
Jayson, still sick, tomorrow is a week, went to work today and got home around 5. now I'm in bed. I need to get better for Sugar Bush
d-reed is offline Find More Posts by d-reed
Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by helisrule
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Dec 2011
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
Sims are close, but not the "real deal." I learned the inputs on a sim, but once the new season showed its face, I was at 6" off the ground, TORKIN!! 2 flights!
no red button...
helisrule is offline Find More Posts by helisrule
Old 02-29-2012, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
Didnt need the "sissy" button!!! I didn't earn the nick name"Low Show" around the Dayton area because of I'm 5'6" tall!!! I would tork for 5 minutes, and fly harriers for another 5 minutes, and then just try other things for 5 more. The advantage of having 64oz onboard!!! After I got all that down, I pulled 1 tank out, and adjusted the CG for me.
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by Bulldog Assassin
Grand Poobah& Master Re-Kitter
Niantic, CT
Joined Jun 2010
362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airworks View Post
i cant see thinking there would be deals at a show , usually lots of things are at retail pricing as not only do the vendors have travel expenses(which these days pulling a trailer on the highway costs tons of gas cash) , and also need to pay for a "booth" at the event. maybe liquidating some old stock or something for the people that do the drive as "public/hobbiests etc.) and some "giveaways/door prizes", other then that i'd think mostly for showing off new stuff.

with the eceonomy the way it is , i see manufacturers from half way across the country just not doing the drive and "picking and choosing" which they wil attend. i bet the west coast expos are freakin loaded! have to think......where are the most rc hobbiests???? those are the places we will afford to go (trying to think like a manufacturer)....i think the internet is part of the culprit also, so many people are "online" they already see everything thats new and out , i think the manu.'s put more into interenet advertising and product promotion that way these days.

MikPQ.,,, if your thinking about savox servos , go for it!, had a set in a heli now for a year, great servos , and new heli is getting savox also. they got some truly great specs and the ones ive run , have lived up to what i'd had hoped.
new ones goin into the 700 heli are spec'd at 277oz T. and .065speed 7.2v, much faster then the ones im running now and those are plenty fast.

scott! your avatar pic that car is one badass looking machine! WOW.! love it all rusty quit the ratrod
+1 on the Savox servos. I've been trying them out and love them. A LHS started carrying them recently so I've been picking them up here and there for various projects. They really seem to be much more precise and a higher resolution than what I was running. Quantumhobby.com is carrying the full line.

I thought the WRAM show was good this year but I have heard some say it was "1000% better". I don't think I would go that far. I like to see the new stuff and be able to see the online people I deal with face to face. It's also good to see fellow fliers as well.
Bulldog Assassin is offline Find More Posts by Bulldog Assassin
Old 02-29-2012, 06:14 PM
Find More Posts by Jay Hayes
that looks infected
Hudson Falls New York
Joined Sep 2009
1,507 Posts
On the subject of torkin, I have been hittin this sim hard. I sit here listening to audiobooks on headphones and just run the sim. Hover, roll, hover, roll. Here is the catch. I REALLY hope this translates to real life. I haven't got one second of actual stick time with any of this. On the sim, I can honestly say, I have never been better than I am now. With 70 days till The Nall, I am going to keep hammering the Hell out of this. If I can do in real life, what I can do in the sim, i will be OK. Not great, just OK. I really want to end this also-ran amateur hour crap. I've worn a hole in my right thumb. I'm embarrassed of the time on my radios internal timer. It indicates I have a problem.
Jay Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hayes
Old 02-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by 3D Joy
IMAC is great!!
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
537 Posts
Keep up.
Back when I was using the G3 I modified the Cap 580 which was to me more of a plane than the Yak. The Yak just didnt feel right at all to me.
On the Cap I just made it much heavier (I dont remember the numbers sorry) and also made the engine less powerful.

My biggest complain of G3 was that with all 3D unmodified planes you can get out of ANY situation by just hammering throttle as the plane instantly gets above stall speed. The real deal isnt quite that as it normally takes a good second or two to really get out of trouble with an RC plane hence me making the plane super heavy and lower power.

Did you go back up to 100% simulation speed?
3D Joy is offline Find More Posts by 3D Joy
Old 02-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by Jay Hayes
that looks infected
Hudson Falls New York
Joined Sep 2009
1,507 Posts
I am at 100% sim speed. I'm using the Yak. I am using my JR 9503. I zeroed out all the sims settings for the radio, and now all radio settings are done in the radio. I measured all control throws on my plane, and duplicated them on the sim. ie: 45deg ele on real plane at 100% travel is the same on the sim. I added 1 oz weight to the tail. I set main wing incidence at zero, same as my plane. ( extreme flight includes a hand written assembly report that documents this by the planes builder) I have 3 flight modes programmed, and I have a throttle curve that flattens out where the plane hovers. I spent alot of time diddleing with expo, and found much less expo works better for me. I slowed the throttle servo speed to .25 seconds on the up motion to simulate a more realistic lag. I did have to add .8 deg neg incidence on the rear stab to get level flight at all throttle settongs, otherwise the trim was very high. I reduced most structure strength to 70%, witht the wing at 64%. It will fail with a level flight, full throttle wall. I weakened the landing gear to encourage carefull landing. I also ditch the non exitant flight failures, like wrong channel, fm interference, reversed servo, and just have stuck servo and engine quit. I usualy run less than 3 mph wind, to simulate a really nice day, but not implausably perfect. According to my radio, I've logged about 30 hours. On the sim, I can actually take off and hover inside the althletic club gym. I can stop the tork roll, and move to any desired location in a hover. I rarely crash from a hover, but my rolling in a harrier still needs work. I roll right better than left. Thats where I stand, but I'm not done, and it isn't real life.
Jay Hayes is offline Find More Posts by Jay Hayes
Old 02-29-2012, 07:34 PM
IMAC is great!!
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
537 Posts
You can't log too many hours really.
Being able to take off and hover inside a gym definitely proves my point about weight and power. It just can't happen in real life. No big deal though as you are still learning the correct control inputs and thats all that really matters and sims simply arent the real thing anyway.

While you're at it I strongly recommend you to learn both roller directions at the same time. Left has always been much easier than right for me as its same direction of torque rolling so it was visually easier but would love to be comfortable both directions.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
9,237 Posts
My harrier rolls to the right are stronger than to the left. I can switch roll directions, etc... I just started the roll reversals last year, or maybe even at the XFC in '09?? I forget........................

If I come up this year Jay, I would be glad to sit with you on a couple of flights and advise or suggest pointers, etc......... The harrier roll is actually pretty simple, once you get the rhythm down. Learning the basic 3D manuevers helps out as well! If you can Hover, you can do the Harrier. If you can do an Elevator, you can do the Parachute. If you can do the Wall, you can do the Waterfall. Even doing knife edge reversals helps with 3D. 4 and 8 point rolls. All of you basic aerobatic figures helps with 3D. The more confident you are in your piloting skills, the easier and quicker you will learn 3D.

The sims "teach" you the inputs, that is about it. Also, foamy flying helps TONS!!!! It is something you can slap back together if you dork it. Plus you really wont care what happens to it after all........ So, it is a win win!!!
Bunky F. Knuckle is offline Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Old 02-29-2012, 08:14 PM
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
Sabastian, what battery are you running on your smoke pump ? I've used a 2cell lipo in the past and have one in use now. I went with a smaller tank in my 40 than I ran in the 35. Hope it's enough for a whole flight.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 PM
IMAC is great!!
Canada
Joined Jan 2006
537 Posts
I just plug the pump into an open channel of the receiver.
Running A123
Smoke thank in my 40% is less than 20 ounces if I recall
Old 02-29-2012, 08:39 PM
GOT GAS ?
Bennington VT.
Joined Aug 2008
6,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D Joy View Post
I just plug the pump into an open channel of the receiver.
Running A123
Smoke thank in my 40% is less than 20 ounces if I recall
You told me it was a 16oz. It lasted twice as long as the 32 oz in my 35. I have noticed that the pipes seem to burn more of the oil, before I would have oil under the exhaust. It was clean when I ran it. I'm trying to make it the least messy as I can. Last year I cranked the pump up because the plane was chit. It looked awesome blowing smoke rings . It will take some flights to get it right. I do like how the 14 will let you set a rate then adjust while flying with a knob or slider.

Quick Reply