Old 10-08-2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,048 Posts
Discussion
Assistance needed, Pilot 40% 129" Yak 54

I picked up this airframe last night and though the airframe is in good shape, the covering needs a little attention. I'd like to recover it, but have no clues as to the actual colors from Ultracote. Anyone have the knowledge to help me out? I would greatly appreciate it
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
I'd contact Tony at Pilot. He'll be able to tell you, but if you are recovering, why not go with a unique scheme?
dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by bobzilla
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Apr 2006
2,541 Posts
tony could not tell me what colors paint my edge 540 green was. good luck.
bobzilla is offline Find More Posts by bobzilla
Old 10-08-2015, 11:36 PM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangflyer View Post
I picked up this airframe last night and though the airframe is in good shape, the covering needs a little attention. I'd like to recover it, but have no clues as to the actual colors from Ultracote. Anyone have the knowledge to help me out? I would greatly appreciate it

That was a friend of mines plane originally. I know it was a custom scheme from Pilot. So it's not one that would have been in regular production. Therefore it's very possible Tony won't know the colors. That said, I'd think it would be pretty easy to match it up at your LHS. I think there are only two yellows; Bright Yellow, and Cub Yellow. From the picture it looks like Flame Red, which is a bit more orange than the other reds Ultracoat has. Still hard to say for sure from the pic.
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Old 10-09-2015, 12:34 AM
Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Gimmie the sticks-I'll fly it.
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Dec 2012
1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthudson View Post
That was a friend of mines plane originally. I know it was a custom scheme from Pilot. So it's not one that would have been in regular production. Therefore it's very possible Tony won't know the colors. That said, I'd think it would be pretty easy to match it up at your LHS. I think there are only two yellows; Bright Yellow, and Cub Yellow. From the picture it looks like Flame Red, which is a bit more orange than the other reds Ultracoat has. Still hard to say for sure from the pic.
Superb...thank you so much. Spats also suggested the exact colors as you. That is awesome. So I am to understand this "IS" in fact a custom scheme? I have done searches on the SD Yak (as it turns out it is an SD, not Pilot as originally thought) and everytime I do, this one comes up in a ton of pictures from Google.

I have to believe the colors are correct as you mention as the red is really not red. It does have a tint of Orange. And is fairly transparent. Not real opaque as most Ultracote colors are. The Yellow should not be a problem to match. I will give these a try and see how they turn out. Hey, thanks a bunch.
Stangflyer is offline Find More Posts by Stangflyer
Old 10-09-2015, 01:09 AM
Find More Posts by sthudson
Grants Pass, OR
Joined Sep 2007
644 Posts
Quote:
Superb...thank you so much. Spats also suggested the exact colors as you. That is awesome. So I am to understand this "IS" in fact a custom scheme? I have done searches on the SD Yak (as it turns out it is an SD, not Pilot as originally thought) and everytime I do, this one comes up in a ton of pictures from Google.

I have to believe the colors are correct as you mention as the red is really not red. It does have a tint of Orange. And is fairly transparent. Not real opaque as most Ultracote colors are. The Yellow should not be a problem to match. I will give these a try and see how they turn out. Hey, thanks a bunch.
I'm actually surprised it's an SD Models. Are you sure? I know he had a 40% SD models for years that he never built. It was purple and white and was sold as part of the estate at the same time as the yellow/red one you have shown in the picture. The one you have he built and flew well after SD was around. I was always under the impression it was a Pilot that he ordered direct from Tony. I guess I could be wrong...
sthudson is offline Find More Posts by sthudson
Last edited by sthudson; 10-10-2015 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts
I have Bobs Dalton. That poor plane was beat on.
LawnJockey is online now Find More Posts by LawnJockey
Old 10-16-2015, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2010
1,896 Posts
Quote:
a zdz 210 is the perfect airframe for this, I have one with a reed valve carb (just like the da-170) would work great for it, will sell cheap. Bench run only.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 10-16-2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I'm in the market for a zdz210....
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 10-16-2015, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by funboy