logo
Old 08-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Truckracer
Des Moines, Iowa USA
Joined Nov 2007
7,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
I have been a tech for over 20 years with engineering experience at one of the big 3, there has never been an E10 fuel issue that I or a good friend of mine with the same back ground has ever seen. The only issue is when someone puts e85 in a E10 system aND it runs lean. Check engine light and rough idle. Drain fuel and refI'll and your good to go. Old 70s cars are not designed for E10 but that does not count for 20 year old and newer gas engines that are designed to run e10.

Again, e10 fuel is e10 fuel. Properly blended and used in a reasonable amount of time you will not have isses. Let it sit for years with no treatment or you get fuel from a dirty storage tank or high levels of water then yes problem. But that is not from E10. I see so many so called mechanics say oh that problem is from e10 or even the computer and my favorite the brain went bad. But when someone capable of diagnosis actually finds the real cause.

But then you have the people that gets sucked in to marketing and thinks they need to buy stuff like seafoam, injector cleaner, or Lucas additives. I feel bad for these people wasting their money on this stuff. I do know for a fact seafoam is not good for diesels. It can damage fuel systems. A diesel manufacturer has stated this before.
James, we may differ about EPA checks and different gas formulas in a few posts above but I give you a big thumbs up on this post!
Truckracer is offline Find More Posts by Truckracer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-09-2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boothg-3 View Post
Additives will not stop ethanol damage period , the problem with ethanol is its chemical attack on parts that are not designed for it.
I have 37 years with ford so I converse with techs from all over the U.S.
Our elderly customers suffer the highest cost in damages frome10
The longer the fuel is in the tank the more corrosive it becomes .
Luckily for them the majority of the fuel system is made from materials that resist it and the customers are only having to replace fuel tanks and pumps.
I could write pages about the damage that we have seen and is factual.
The statement about vehicles from the 70,s amen to that
car collectors have learned the hard way about e10
I will just say this the FAA will not allow the use of ethanol in aviation fuel
My back ground is also Ford. I spent some time at SEO in Allen park MI also in one of the engineering departments for powertrain. I am also very familiar with the PTS tech to tech message boards. While there are some good techs out there that are helpful we have found a lot of misinformation and whining on there.I guess there was a reason we were not allowed access to it. But to be honest it proved to be very comical and sad at the same time. I would love to see test studies that you have with a control to prove the issues E10 causes. Especially fuel tanks and pumps. The only issues I remember with pumps was with older Taurus replacement pumps where the manufacturer did not follow the specs for the plastic. Those pumps did not last long at all. But that was with any fuel. Older 460 powered motor ho e chassis tanks were prone to rust and collecting sediment from fill ups. Many mistakes diags on saying E10 issue where it was more dirty fuel and tank issues. We monitored the entire country including canada and Mexico. If there was pockets of continual bad fuel that brought vehicles in for service it would not have taken long to get investigations started. Even FSEs involved to go to that local area.

I will say I do at times miss the dealer life. Loved the challenges.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Old 08-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
683 Posts
LOL
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3

Quick Reply