logo
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by Danny Baker
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts
Re: Carden Ultimate

Chris: If the features you describe are not in the design of the bags, just let Caroline know of your wishes, she has the ability to make them how you want them made.

Galaxy: We do not have a "time line" per say. Only a "process line". By this I mean that we have some steps to take that we do not have a date as to when we will take them. As an example, our next step is to get the plane to the field and test fly prototype #1. However, the plane is not covered or painted yet. I estimate that prototype #1 goes wheels up in 2 months.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Danny Baker is offline Find More Posts by Danny Baker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Any chance that Carden will bring the prototype to Toledo, as is?(i.e. less covering and paint?) I think it would be cool to see one that's not complete, no matter if it was the Ulti, an Extra, Edge, etc.
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 03-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

50%Plane: I read on another post that there will not be a Carden booth this year. I guess there's a list of venders on the Toledo show site for all to see (not sure though). Even still, the prototype may not be the exact model we go with for production. It would be risky to display it, and then possibly sell a slightly different version after we make any changes to it based on first flight reports. Secondly, the plane will be partly covered during that week, some covering on, some not on.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Old 03-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

I would imagine there will be a change or two, even as good as Cardens are, is it even possible to make it perfect on the first try...lol I dont care if its released in summer of 2010, I will have one. I'll just build an Edge 1st.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Old 03-23-2009, 07:06 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

Mr. Mike: Your post is exactly correct. Our release date is dependent on changes (if any) to the prototype. Just the smallest change means making new parts, fitting them to what we already have, covering them, and then assembling the flight test team again, 6 to 10 weeks additional time depending on the change needed. We are having a lot of fun on this project, but want to take our time and deliver the best flying product.

Dan Baker
Team Carden
Last edited by Danny Baker; 03-23-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Find More Posts by mike chandley
United States, SC, Bluffton
Joined Jan 2006
2,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Baker View Post
A few years later we wanted to fly 50% bipes. Built three of them with a friend. These bipes were about 100" in span (same size as today's 150cc bipes). We had to come up with all our own parts. Even made our own mufflers, put two landing gears on top of one another (lam. together) to hold up to the landings. All the wheels we put on those went flat when we sat the plane down. We made the wheel pants out of balsa. A wopper cowl made out of balsa and ply. The 3W-120 just came out, so that was the engine. The planes weighed over 70 lbs each. Some of you might remember these from the east coast. Giant Weeks Solutions backed by Mr. Herb Walls. Mr. Walls and I were great friends, he let me fly them at shows for him.
Dan,
Dan,
The name Herb Walls brings back many fond memories for me and the good old days.
You and I were just kids back then. I remember the biplane at the old Hartness field with you and Herb there. Herb left many good memories behind.
mike chandley is offline Find More Posts by mike chandley
Old 03-23-2009, 10:23 PM
Find More Posts by crhammond
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
979 Posts

2010/2011 is fine - just make it as perfect as possible! Bipes are complex and tuning it is going to take effort... and building one is no short task...

I'm looking forward to this one - its going to be worth the wait and the build time
crhammond is offline Find More Posts by crhammond
Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by rc4flying
Hermitage, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
2,884 Posts

Quote:
50%Plane: I read on another post that there will not be a Carden booth this year. I guess there's a list of venders on the Toledo show site for all to see (not sure though). Even still, the prototype may not be the exact model we go with for production. It would be risky to display it, and then possibly sell a slightly different version after we make any changes to it based on first flight reports. Secondly, the plane will be partly covered during that week, some covering on, some not on.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
When I spoke to Dennis a couple weeks ago, he mentioned that they would not have booths at the Toledo Show this year.
rc4flying is offline Find More Posts by rc4flying
Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Any progress ?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

Mike: I have spoke with the Carden owners this week. The plane is currently being covered (it's about 1/2 covered), and the painted parts are all filled and primed. I asked about pricing, as that has been the only question gone unanswered to this point. The price of the kit will be delayed in publishing due to new items on this plane (gear, windshield, cowl, some different wood, some different foam, etc) being quoted by suppliers in bulk, and these quotes not in Carden's hands at this time.

Other than that, things are progressing fine.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Last edited by Danny Baker; 04-07-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Cool.....
Old 04-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by sukhoi26
Building as fast as I can
palm harbor florida
Joined Jan 2006
2,017 Posts

Quote:
Mike: I have spoke with the Carden owners this week. The plane is currently being covered (it's about 1/2 covered), and the painted parts are all filled and primed. I asked about pricing, as that has been the only question gone unanswered to this point. The price of the kit will be delayed in publishing due to new items on this plane (gear, windshield, cowl, some different wood, some different foam, etc) being quoted by suppliers in bulk, and these quotes not in Carden's hands at this time.

Other than that, things are progressing fine.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
No disrespect but I hope your changing the gear to look something like a Ultimate gear. There's no sweap.
sukhoi26 is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26
Old 04-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Joined Nov 2008
197 Posts

The gear is something the design team is still working on. The gear on the plane in the pics is not a true Ultimate gear. Yes, the full scale sweeps back. However, this promotes tear-offs during bouncy landings since the angle is favoring unwanted pressure (during bouncy landings) on the forward two gear hold down bolts. The best gear design for a sport plane angles 90 degrees (or actually swept forward to allow to land into a bump) to the runway at the moment the wheels touch down. Our plane should be in a slight flare at that time so the static stance should actually be swept forward to keep unwanted pressure off the gear bolts. Good gear designers want all the pressure to be transferred to the elbows of the gear (outward force from hitting the ground to hard, not backward force promoting tear-offs). This is done with forward swept designs. But still the full scale sweeps back, and a swept back gear looks cool, so we are still working on the bottom of this plane.

Good catch on that, good eyes.

Dan Baker,
Team Carden
Last edited by Danny Baker; 04-08-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts

Danny this is super exciting stuff!Ive been looking for a good bype for some time!I LOVE MY CARDEN and this will be a great one to add to my existing two take your time refining this one
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Just wondering how its going...?