12,936 Posts
Re: 92" Kraft Super Fli Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIE View Post
Hi All,

Here are some photos of the frst 150cc Super Fli

Enjoy

Danie
Are you sure you mean 150cc on a 92 inch span plane?? One of the photos looks like it say "26-10" on the prop as well.

Is it possible this is really a 100cc plane??

BTW - I love this plane. I had one of the old Bridi kits. Never got it built. I think it is still in the rafters of a friend's house!!

Nice looking plane regardless of the size!
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Find More Posts by McLeodAviation
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2008
5 Posts

This is a great thread for one of my favorite airplanes of all time! Thanks for all the great pictures and info!
McLeodAviation is offline Find More Posts by McLeodAviation
Old 04-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts

WOW. Cool airplane.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot
Old 04-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Lancaster , PA
Joined Dec 2007
3,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Are you sure you mean 150cc on a 92 inch span plane?? One of the photos looks like it say "26-10" on the prop as well.

Is it possible this is really a 100cc plane??

BTW - I love this plane. I had one of the old Bridi kits. Never got it built. I think it is still in the rafters of a friend's house!!

Nice looking plane regardless of the size!
Hey there Judge...as usual your mouth got ahead of your brain...
I started this thread on a kit I bought back in the 80's. a (92" kit for a 50cc to 80cc size engine)..as this thread progressed (if you would have read the whole thing) Danie announced that he was having a 150cc size built in China...
Go back and start from the beginning, then make you dum a$$ comments.
flyin4fun is offline Find More Posts by flyin4fun
Old 04-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Find More Posts by DANIE
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts

Hi Judge,

The "FLI" is for a 150cc engine. Wingspan is 3m with some deviations from the original to make it a little more aerobatic and stable for model use. (ailerons, rudder and stab) It is possible that production units will have a slightly longer fuselage. In modern terms the plane is in the 40 to 42% class. Do not worry about the prop and the pilot. It was only added for taking photos.

Danie
DANIE is offline Find More Posts by DANIE
Last edited by DANIE; 04-15-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANIE View Post
Hi Judge,

The "FLI" is for a 150cc engine. Wingspan is 3m with some deviations from the original to make it a little more aerobatic and stable for model use. (ailerons, rudder and stab) It is possible that production units will have a slightly longer fuselage. In modern terms the plane is in the 40 to 42% class. Do not worry about the prop and the pilot. It was only added for taking photos.

Danie
Thanks Danie, I was not keeping track of every post in the thread. Thank you for providing the info. Looks like a great plane.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
Seriously, start back on the meds and maybe you will be able to carry on a civil conversation. Otherwise, why not keep your sarcastic crap to yourself?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin4fun View Post
Hey there Judge...as usual your mouth got ahead of your brain...
I started this thread on a kit I bought back in the 80's. a (92" kit for a 50cc to 80cc size engine)..as this thread progressed (if you would have read the whole thing) Danie announced that he was having a 150cc size built in China...

wow... prolly 100 different ways to say this without sounding like a tool....

and you didn't use any of'em!!!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 04-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Find More Posts by Thumb Thumb
The Only Way to Fly!
United States, CA, Fallbrook
Joined Oct 2006
60 Posts

Danie,

The pictures look great. I will follow your progress. I am tempted to get one for old times sake.

Hey Judge. You sure can take the hits well. If your friend still has that Bridi kit and it's available I might be interested. I have some history with that particular model.

I notice that on the cowl, inside the little orange emblem that it says N5PK. That should say Super Fli instead. This is a very close rendition of the earlier aircraft configuration. Two sponsor logos were on the turtle deck. They were Circus Circus Hotel and Kraft Systems. Those logos actually spiced up the paint job a bunch. I can get you close up pictures if you want.

As I told you privately, we cleaned up the bungie system landing gear with cleaner spring aluminum and fabricated a more streamlined fiberglass cowl. In addition spades or shovels were added to the ailerons to improve the roll characteristics. That later version was a very competitive airplane.

Keep the updates and pictures coming Danie!

Steve
San Diego

Thumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Thumb Thumb
Last edited by Thumb Thumb; 04-15-2010 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by mradcliff
St. Marys, WV USA
Joined Apr 2006
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Thumb View Post
Danie,

The pictures look great. I will follow your progress. I am tempted to get one for old times sake.

Hey Judge. You sure can take the hits well. If your friend still has that Bridi kit and it's available I might be interested. I have some history with that particular model.

I notice that on the cowl, inside the little orange emblem that it says N5PK. That should say Super Fli instead. This is a very close rendition of the earlier aircraft configuration. Two sponsor logos were on the turtle deck. They were Circus Circus Hotel and Kraft Systems. Those logos actually spiced up the paint job a bunch. I can get you close up pictures if you want.

As I told you privately, we cleaned up the bungie system landing gear with cleaner spring aluminum and fabricated a more streamlined fiberglass cowl. In addition spades or shovels were added to the ailerons to improve the roll characteristics. That later version was a very competitive airplane.

Steve
San Diego

Steve,
This looks pretty good to me. I like the aileron size change along with the larger rudder. We each need one of these!
mradcliff is offline Find More Posts by mradcliff
Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts

Quote:
You are too modest my friend. For those that may not know, Steve is one of the few people on earth who ever actually flew the original Super-Fli and he is the only one to have ever flown the plane in an IAC contest.

I'll ask next time I talk to my buddy (it's Darwin in AZ).
Old 04-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Find More Posts by DANIE
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts

Hi All,

Thanks for the info on the cowl, landing gear etc. The more info I get, the better production models will be. My Chinese friend could not read the logo on the cowl hence the n5pk. It will be rectified and the landing gear will also be changed as I deem it a better option than the original landing gear.

I know this was mentioned earlier but maybe someone else has dug up some more info on what happened to the original "Fli" - where could one find the blueprints? I may have a guy that is willing to build a new "Fli"

I ask these things because I am building up a scrapbook with photos and all info I can get about the "Fli" this includes kits and scratch built models.

Danie
Old 04-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Find More Posts by DANIE
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts

Hi All,

Is there anyone interested to try and sell 10 units in the US? Pricing will be of such a nature that the seller can actually buy one for himself from the profit realised.

If interested, please send a private e-mail

Danie
Old 04-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts

Quote:
Danie,

Steve
San Diego

Steve... can you comment on where the plane is today and what condition it is in??? and can you say anything about Phil Kraft himself???

so many of todays modelers don't realiuze he was sort of a Thomas Edison of RC way back in the day!

mds
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 04-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Find More Posts by rcakropilot
What... Weather sucks again!!!
Hyannis, Massachusetts
Joined Jan 2007
5,648 Posts

Don't know about the airplane but I beleive Phil Kraft died just a couple of years ago.
rcakropilot is offline Find More Posts by rcakropilot

Quick Reply