logo
Old 10-19-2014, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by Free Bird
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Discussion
Saito FG-17 Won't Run

Can use some help guys. Got a new Saito FG-17 from my LHS a month ago and tried to start the break in process today. Engine will only burn a primer that I put in the cylinder, it won't draw fuel at all. Using a 3 line system and it's plumbed correctly. I'm no stranger to engines and this is the first engine in over 30 years that I can't make run. Everything is setup by the book and there's good compression. Even tried an external tank and you could see the fuel in the line wasn't moving. I know this carb is a little different, but it should draw. Tried blowing air through the fuel nipple and the needle valve spray bar with no luck. Also called Horizon and they couldn't recommend anything other than sending the engine in. Anybody have any experience with Saito gassers? TIA!

FB
Free Bird is offline Find More Posts by Free Bird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Glyder
United States, OH, Canton
Joined Sep 2011
873 Posts
Have you checked your ignition for good fully charged battery and a good spark at the plug.
Are you starting it with a starter or hand flippin it.?
Glyder is offline Find More Posts by Glyder
Old 10-20-2014, 05:46 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Spark is good, it'll burn a prime with no problem, and yes I'm using an electric starter. I used it so much it the battery (small car battery) discharged after an hour of use.

FB
Old 10-21-2014, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by ForcesR
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
FB; the LS needle needs to be opened more then what you now have it set at. I had a similar problem with my FG-36, the LSN was set at the factory setting but it would not draw fuel. I opened the LSN two more full turns, it then drew fuel and fired up.

Roger
ForcesR is offline Find More Posts by ForcesR
Last edited by ForcesR; 10-21-2014 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Roger,
I did go a little further out on the LSN, maybe a turn or so. I'll open it some more. Thanks for the info.

FB
Old 10-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by coronabob
United States, TX, Friendswood
Joined Oct 2007
184 Posts
I recently bought a Saito 60cc gas radial, FG-60R3. The carb is a Saito carb that works like a glow carb. There is one needle valve and a set-screw style mixture control.

On my first attempt, it would not draw fuel. I found that the needle valve was pretty much closed. Opened it 2 turns and it drew fuel right away. The mixture needle was set pretty much right on at the factory.
coronabob is offline Find More Posts by coronabob
Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
I started with the recommended settings for the needles. After the engine wouldn't run, I opened the HSP needle a few turns and then a few turns more, well you get the picture. The carb just wouldn't draw fuel. I'm gonna try openning the LSN a few more turns and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, I have a new carb to try.

FB
Last edited by Free Bird; 10-25-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
FB; this sentence from the paragraph you wrote in your first post is the tell tale sign that the LSN is closed, Quote "Tried blowing air through the fuel nipple and the needle valve spray bar with no luck". Open the LSN two full turns from the factory setting and that FG-17 will draw fuel and fire up. I have both the FG-36 and FG-20, they are great smooth running engines when tuned properly and sound great in the air. Please let us know when you have the problem solved.

Roger
Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Roger,

I'll be trying again this weekend with the LSN as advised. Thanks for the tip!

FB
Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Roger,

You are THE MAN! If you were nearby, I'd buy you a beer! I opened the LSN 2-1/2 turns more than what the manual recommended, dropped a little gas in the cylinder and the engine fired right up and kept running! How sweet it was! Again, many thanks for the tip, time to start breaking the engine in.

FB
Old 10-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
FB;

Happy to hear that you have your engine running! Saitos are different to properly tune from other gas and glow engines. What you have learned over the past 30 years in tuning engines does not apply to a Saito. First of all you have to use a tachometer, trying to tune the old way by ear will only lead to much fustration. Follow the manual closely during initial break in.

HSN adjustments is done by clicks, not by the old method of 1/16, 1/8, or 1/4 turns of the HSN. LSN adjustments is done by minute movements of the needle, same as minute movements of a clock. It takes longer to tune a Saito then other engines and may seem tedious but well worth the time and effort when they are tuned properly.

When you have finally reached the maximum RPM of the engine IAW manual directions and have lowered the RPM to approximately 300 RPM below maximum, the engine is ready for flight, this is where you fine tune the engines' HSN.

Fly and listen to the reaction of the engine when you put the plane through its paces. Land and if you think the HSN needs to be adjusted richer or leaner, remember to adjust the HSN one click only, rich or lean. Fly again and adjust when you land, one click only, repeat as many times as necessary until you are happy with the performance of the Saito.

You will be a very happy Saito owner when tuning of the engine is completed. They sound fantastic and they sip gas compared to other two stroke engines If you have any future questions, just post and I will respond Best of luck and have many hours of happy flying!!

Roger
Old 10-25-2014, 07:57 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
I've run several Saito's over the years including a couple of radials, and pretty much adjust them as you've outlined. They've been very reliable powerhouses, even when installed inverted. Anyways, thanks again for the help, much appreciated!

FB
Old 10-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
76 Posts
FB;

Sorry for my rambling, I thought this was your first Saito from the problem you had gettting the FG-17 first started. Anyway, I really like the Saitos over any other engine out there. My next purchase will be my first radial, an FG84 R 3 which will be for my TF FW-190, I'm really looking forward to flying with that little power house

Roger
Old 10-27-2014, 05:10 AM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
No problem Roger. That radial should be nice in that airframe. If you go that route, keep us posted.

FB
Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2010
447 Posts
Hey Roger,

Thanks for the help! Flew the engine today, overall performance is good. Top end is a tad on the rich side, idle is pretty solid. Midrange is the issue, it's pretty rough. Haven't had midrange issues with glow Saito's before. I know the engine needs more time on it, and I'm gonna leave things as is for now. How is the midrange on your Saito gassers? TIA!

FB

Quick Reply