logo
Old 03-31-2012, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by IBTRIN
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih82crash View Post
That is awesome!! What is the final weight? I recently picked up a new in the box red Carf edge for $700 that seemed like a smokin deal to me. I've never done a composite build before so ill take it slow.
Mine is at 30.7 lbs. with half a tank RTF.
$700 is a steal
IBTRIN is offline Find More Posts by IBTRIN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
A couple of pics with a new ply mount epoxied on, with 1 " standoffs. I also used some stainless tubing cut to length of the ply, this will help from compressing the ply. AND add a little weight. the tubing also has the correct I.D. so there is no play with the mounting bolts. HOPEfully their won't be any flex.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Find More Posts by Solo 56
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTRIN View Post
Ya'lls pilots are awsome, gotta figure a way to get one in. just redid engine mount, haven't checked CG yet.
SOLO when you gonna finish takin the packin tape off the cowl? LOL
It's that awful glue residue ..... I tried WD 40 and that didn't work...and since my wife and I have never smoked, I just haven't gotten around to buying some Ronson lighter fluid. I'll get some this weekend or not post pictures of the cowling until it's cleaned...OK .

Thanks for noticing, I needed a shot.
Solo 56 is offline Find More Posts by Solo 56
Old 03-31-2012, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Revy
Revelstoke, BC
Joined Dec 2009
988 Posts
A bit of lacquer thinner on a rag and don't rub too much. That stuff works quick.
Revy is offline Find More Posts by Revy
Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
guess I was lucky, mine rubbed off easily with my fingers.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Find More Posts by supatimhanstine
Owner/Operator at NorthWest RC
Orting, WA
Joined Nov 2008
1,767 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the carbon to carbon chatter, never heard of that before but I'm learning something new every day! I'm thinking an aluminum spinner may be it's future and hopefully it'll help kill two birds with one stone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo 56 View Post
I was looking at your pictures, and it looks like a carbon fiber spinner and a carbon fiber prop. Unless the backplate is aluminum, you might be in for problems with sheared prop bolts. I read where several FG members have lost planes due to the use of a carbon fiber backplate and prop. The two don't mix and it causes chatter which eventually shears the prop bolts.

Besides, you can add some weight with a solid aluminum spinner back plate and no, I don't work for Tru-turn
supatimhanstine is offline Find More Posts by supatimhanstine
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Find More Posts by topflight36
Addicted
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Sep 2006
3,051 Posts
I have ran carbon on carbon and I know a ton of guys that have done the same thing without any ill effects. A lot of the time sheared bolts come from over torquing the bolts. Some guys use torque wrenches while others don't.

I have also know guys that have snapped bolts left and right on their planes. So who know, but I would take it that it has a lot to do with the torque and maintaining the proper torque on your bolts every couple flights.

This has seemed to be a process that has worked for me on several different set-ups.
topflight36 is offline Find More Posts by topflight36
Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by topflight36 View Post
I have ran carbon on carbon and I know a ton of guys that have done the same thing without any ill effects. A lot of the time sheared bolts come from over torquing the bolts. Some guys use torque wrenches while others don't.

I have also know guys that have snapped bolts left and right on their planes. So who know, but I would take it that it has a lot to do with the torque and maintaining the proper torque on your bolts every couple flights.

This has seemed to be a process that has worked for me on several different set-ups.
I don't want to redirect this thread, I was giving "supatimhanstine" a heads up of a "possible" problem. With the money invested in a Carf Edge, the last thing anyone needs is to lose it due to a known problem. The problem appears to be with some of the torquier DA motors, ie. 85, 120 and 170. Since DA will not give you a torque spec and since I almost lost my 50cc to sheared prop bolts, I thought I would just put in my 2 cents.
Last edited by Solo 56; 04-01-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by Richo
Reliving the dream!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,088 Posts
Solo's information is worth taking notice of, we have seen this issue down here. From personal experience, I have seen new prop bolts fitted and tensioned only to see the prop part company in a few minutes from take off. Both times I have witnessed this, it has been carbon spinner with carbon back plate. The spinners were replaced with all alloy units and the problem went away.

Still having said all that, I have seen full carbon spinners work OK on some smaller models with no issues, but I suspect the problem may be heat related. Engine gets hot, back plate goes soft, bolts come loose, bolts break, and the prop parts company.
Richo is offline Find More Posts by Richo
Old 04-01-2012, 08:46 PM
Find More Posts by topflight36
Addicted
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Sep 2006
3,051 Posts
I was not trying to redirect sorry if you took it that way. I own a few CARF planes myself and understand that they are an investment. I just want the person who is building the plane to hear all side and make a judgement from there.

I just feel that both sides of a story or set-up in this case should be told. Due to my position this type of topic is something that I talk about on a regular basis lol.

Richo I think you are right about the heat issues and the bolts loosing.
topflight36 is offline Find More Posts by topflight36
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
IBTRIN,
I was finally able to get that tape residue off my cowling. I used Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid ( it was on hand ) and just kept rubbing to soften it up and get it off.
I guess the reason is was so hard to get off, was that the plane sat in my friends garage for over a year before he decided to sell it to me. Probably should taken the tape residue off when he first got the plane. Oh well, it's finally off now and I can finish the cowling baffles and get closer to firing this puppy up.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:31 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
Theres a joke in there, but i aint touchin it!

Hope the weather cooperates for you. don't forget to breathe during first flight

As long as the weather works here, I'm gonna try this again.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBTRIN View Post
Theres a joke in there, but i aint touchin it!

Hope the weather cooperates for you. don't forget to breathe during first flight

As long as the weather works here, I'm gonna try this again.
How are you doing with all the tornados roaming thru Texas today? Hope your doing well .

Take care.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:20 PM
United States, TX
Joined Apr 2007
451 Posts
luckily we were about 200 mi. away from them!
Old 04-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by Ih82crash
Team Japaleno hard man brand
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Jan 2007
677 Posts
I'm getting ready to mark the engine placement on my firewall. are there any hints or tricks to ensuring that the ruler is level on the firewall, or is it just a matter of working slow and making sure it is right?
Ih82crash is offline Find More Posts by Ih82crash

Quick Reply