Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-10-2008, 05:47 PM
Find More Posts by eagle1
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts
Re: Composite-ARF Extra 260 3m Build

Next I romoved the plane from the room to the kitchen and done a cleanup of the hobby room, I will be able to remove the plane when it finished. I think a plane thisa size is just about the biggest plane I will be able to fit in the room.
After doing the cleanup I had to do some size comparison to a 35% plane and well....you decide!
eagle1 is offline Find More Posts by eagle1
Old 02-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

after all of that I took some measurements from the tail and the bellcrank, cockpit down to bellcrank,and the control horn on the rudder.made an outline of the fuse on my building board, made marks for the bellcrank and the control horns in their positions, drove nails into the board, took some kit string outlined the pull-pull cable layout, made marks on the board at the fin post and where the cables will travel through the fuse, duplicated these marks onto the fuse and drilled a 1/8" hole at that exact point, could not thread the cables through due to a bulkhead that I did not take into acount.
so I milled 1" slots on both sides and taped the dremil tool to a broom handle went inside the fuse and drilled a hole where the cables could pass.and on the outside I milled the skin to the bulkhead, used an exacto knife to cut the slots for the cables. Installed the cables and put tension on them, took a round file, held the cable out of the way and made the slots the lenght I need, this is the first time I have tried crossing the pull-pull wires, most od the wire travel moved toward the rear of the fuse instead of both ways, slots ended up being 5" long, after I was happy with the claerencce at the back of the slot I sanded all the edges to be straight.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
looks real good eagle, this may be my next plane, maybe a red kiwi scheme
Yea I was at ends between the red kiwi and this scheme, almost ordered the kiwi but when it came time well you know.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

Wow this is a big plane, I cant believe the size compared to the 2.6. And it looks real good
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex
Old 02-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

I recieved the last of the servo arms, the extra 14ch. R5114DPS PCM rx, the new Futaba 12FGA radio running the G3 2048, boy this is one great looking tx. I like that I can adjust the tension on the gimbles without having to take the back of the transmitter off.
Today I ordered the 2 Fromeco 5200mah Lith-Ion batteries, 3 hvy duty JR switches, 2 Adjustable Regs, All turnbuckles,3 packs each on the servo connector ends male and female.
Monday I will order the ignition battery,5" Tru-Turn ultimate spinner w/ lite backplate.
I will not work on the plane until Sunday evening, i know you all are just as anxious to see this plane built as I am and I will get back to right after me and my family get back from spending the day together and out of town.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:46 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

and here is a quick tip for those of you who have to cut their headers, I took a wheel collar and glued it into the front set of teeth in my doulbe jaw pliers,Channel lock brand. put this glued collar inside the header and just give it a good squeeze every 16th of a turn until I had a good raised spot.
first time I tried this and it worked out well.The header on the right side of the picture is the one I did this to.
Last edited by eagle1; 02-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Tex
Find More Posts by Tex
Tex
United States, TX, Iowa Park
Joined Aug 2007
2,478 Posts

I was wandering about you
Tex is offline Find More Posts by Tex
Old 02-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Sorry about the delay on the build, our company bought another tool company, half of their employees quit, so our store has to pick up some of the work and I was in Ft. Davis for a couple of days, by the time I make the 200 mile drive home, I just have not had the time to work on it much less the energy...
Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

You're going to love that radio, I love mine.
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Old 02-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

Finally...
Everything is ordered!
I ordered all the batteries regs turnbuckles,switches,spinner,synch's,tail wheel and all remaining hardware.
I will work on it tomorrow if I have the time.
I have to go talk to a lawyer tomorrow afternoon.....don't worry, it's nothing bad, I ma trying to adopt my son, but first I have to fight for the rights of his........ i don't think you can call him his father.
should be ready to take outside and started and range checked by the end of this weekend or beginning of next week and hopefully I will maiden this plane in two weeks!!!!!
Anyone want to know how much I have invested in this plane including radio???..................I'll tell you when I have finished thie build and do the final complete assembly outside, yes I have not put this plane together to get a feel for the true size and looks,as you have seen this plane here is the way I have seen it, I have put the elev. on the fuse and wow whata plane!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

I( recieved all the turnbuckles, battery packs and regs in today, now all thats left to come in is the ignition battery, 4 servo synchronizers, and the 5" tru-turn ultimate spinner with lite back plate.
I should have it ready to balance this weekend or the beginning of next week.
Maiden is just 2 or 3 weeks away.
Now if you will all excuse me I think I will go get the rudder servos linked together with all these turnbuckles.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

sorry I took a little detour outside because my wife wanted to see the plane put together in all its glory so here is the plane as it is right now.....enjoy
Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by skymaster68
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2006
583 Posts

Hey Eagle, your plane looks awesome congrats !!!!!
skymaster68 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster68
Old 02-19-2008, 09:05 PM
Andrews Tx. USA
Joined Mar 2006
1,270 Posts

thanks skymaster, looks a little odd without the spinner but that should be here in a few days if all goes well with Brown.
I went into the hobby room and made up all the linkages for the rubber, this is just to get them on the plane, once I read up on the instructions on the radio, I will take the arms off and adjust the turnbuckles for perfect semitry and alingment, this process is what I do not like about building or installing the final components, the final finish, seems to take forever but I will take my time and do it right so as not to have more throw in one direction than the other.

Quick Reply