logo
View Poll Results: How do you break-in a gas engine...
Run it at factory settings till it's broken in... 215 58.11%
Run it fat until I can't stand it any more... 51 13.78%
Lean it out until it squeals... 62 16.76%
I don't know nothing about gas engines... 42 11.35%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Rickster
United States, TX, Beaumont
Joined Apr 2006
840 Posts
Re: Gas engine break-in procedure...

Quote:
Rickster,

Not once did I say or suggest that DA is a bad engine. You put that in there all by yourself. DA makes good engines, as do many others. The bold text should make my position clear about DA quality. Please note that I included 3w, BME, and any other quality engine manufacturer in the group.

When you work with as many engines as I do for as many flight hours you can come and instruct me on what oil ratios work. Unless you work the same place I do, and I doubt that, you might put 1/100 of the number of hours on an engine a year. Figure we put thousands of hours a month on engines and then figure how little we've learned. I am saying that we do more engine testing, on the ground and in the air, at altitudes from below sea level to heights you'll never dream of attaining, than any of the r/c engine manufacturers and have learned some expensive lessons.

100-1 anything is hard on engines with any oil, and some oils are much worse than others. Modelers just won't see the effects for awhile, and unless they know what to look for they won't know when the 100-1 wear patterns are showing their ugly little faces during a full tear down.

Let me know which manufacturer has put well over 100,000 hours on their products in the last couple of years and get back to me with their oil test results.
HUH????

I think you were referring to Flyin WoodButcher's post,

No Biggy,
Rick
Rickster is offline Find More Posts by Rickster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by GremlinX
Father of the Scale Furum
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

I agree. I can't do 100:1 . It hurts me to run em that lean on oil, when 50:1 is fine. 100:1 may work on an outboard, but it is also operating at half the temp too
GremlinX is offline Find More Posts by GremlinX
Old 05-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by BTerry
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Dec 2006
1,474 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
Your poll is missing a choice to "properly tune the engine for idle, top end, and midrange, even while on the break-in fuel mixture", so I didn't vote.
If Brillelli says that you should not touch the needles, then it is obvious they have no clue what they are talking about and makes me question whether I should ever buy one. I used to fly at 7,000 feet ASL. So long as their engine runs on a carburetor, it will need to be retuned to run properly at those altitudes.
Easy my friend, the quote about Brillelli is completely false. Scott (Ellingson) and Mark (Brill) ABSOLUTELY say to properly set the high and low needles for your local conditions.

The instructions say to set the needles to a rough starting point of about 1-3/4 turns open (IIRC) and tune from there.

As it should be.
BTerry is offline Find More Posts by BTerry
Old 05-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

Rickster,

Oops
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Last edited by Tired Old Man; 06-03-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by jack strickland
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

[quote=GremlinX;467606]I agree. I can't do 100:1 . It hurts me to run em that lean on oil, when 50:1 is fine. 100:1 may work on an outboard, but it is also operating at half the temp too [/quote In fact, outboard cylinder temps are much hotter than our air cooled engines. Sugest you check this out for yourself.
jack strickland is offline Find More Posts by jack strickland
Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Find More Posts by karolh
Mandeville, Jamaica, West Indies
Joined Aug 2007
757 Posts

Reading anything associated with oil these days makes enjoyable reading. When I ventured into the gas world I was lucky to come across Elson's oil test and posts from folks whom I considered knowledgable on the subject such as Rcign, SS, TKG and Pe to name a few. Based on all that I read, using my very own judgement I opted to use MC-1 mixed at 50:1 from day one, which has served me quite well.

Karol
karolh is offline Find More Posts by karolh
Old 06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

[quote=jack strickland;468051]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GremlinX View Post
I agree. I can't do 100:1 . It hurts me to run em that lean on oil, when 50:1 is fine. 100:1 may work on an outboard, but it is also operating at half the temp too [/quote In fact, outboard cylinder temps are much hotter than our air cooled engines. Sugest you check this out for yourself.
Huhh? EGT's on a new and stock Mercury 2.5 off shore are 775-850 pre water mix. I have yet to find a good running air cooled making it's own max power under 1000*.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
RTK
Find More Posts by RTK
RTK
Left Coast
Joined Jan 2006
4,435 Posts

Rcign (Ralph) has told me that on their race planes with on board telemetry they shoot for approx. 900-1000. When you start going over 1000 things start to stick. With dyno testing and controlled cooling he states you can go over 1000, but not on the race planes.
RTK is offline Find More Posts by RTK
Old 06-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Chapel Hill, TN
Joined Jan 2006
4,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK View Post
Rcign (Ralph) has told me that on their race planes with on board telemetry they shoot for approx. 900-1000. When you start going over 1000 things start to stick. With dyno testing and controlled cooling he states you can go over 1000, but not on the race planes.
That sounds about right. That's when you start putting tapered bores and forged pistons in with clearanced rings etc. More BTU's is more HP... it's just the price you are willing to pay. LOL
Old 06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Suspended Account
California
Joined Jul 2006
4,329 Posts

I was wondering when EGT's were going to come up. Measuring EGT is truly the only way you'll be able to ever tune an engine to an absolute state of tune. CHT's are much to slow to react to changes and aren't really as accurate as they need to be for tuning purposes.

You're dead on right about the price you have to be willing to pay. If monitored well you can run lean of peak for maximum fuel economy and great power but you can ruin things real fast if you hit the wrong combination.
Tired Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Tired Old Man
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 06-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Roy View Post
I was wondering when EGT's were going to come up. Measuring EGT is truly the only way you'll be able to ever tune an engine to an absolute state of tune. CHT's are much to slow to react to changes and aren't really as accurate as they need to be for tuning purposes.

You're dead on right about the price you have to be willing to pay. If monitored well you can run lean of peak for maximum fuel economy and great power but you can ruin things real fast if you hit the wrong combination.
Curious about something.

Has anyone ever looked into developing a HO2S or O2S that would be viable in the exhause environment of a two stroke with the ability to adjust fuel in flight, or is this being done with the EGT sensors?

Thanks
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by GBR2
Joined Feb 2008
53 Posts

I just tuned a G26 with CH ignition the other day following the procedure found in this article:

http://tech.flygsw.org/walbro_tuneup.htm

Worked very well, took about 20 - 30 minutes. I just used the percentage of oil recommended by Zenoah and used the Penzoil aircooled oil. Engine ran great, was going between 2100 to 8500 with no hesitation. I was pretty happy. I did this on a test stand as it was easier than having it in the plane.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by flyin woodbutcher
Diving for DA's
Ashland Va
Joined Mar 2006
1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC-MD View Post
Curious about something.

Has anyone ever looked into developing a HO2S or O2S that would be viable in the exhause environment of a two stroke with the ability to adjust fuel in flight, or is this being done with the EGT sensors?

Thanks
This stuff has already been developed for small engines. Mike of the 50% fame was telling me about this over the weekend.
flyin woodbutcher is offline Find More Posts by flyin woodbutcher
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin woodbutcher View Post
This stuff has already been developed for small engines. Mike of the 50% fame was telling me about this over the weekend.
Hiya FWB

There would have been another good reason to make the ButcherFest! Well, my wife took me on a surprise trip to the RedBull Air Race this weekend. I think I will keep her and see you guys again soon. Sounds like you were flying up a storm this weekend. Congrats!
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by jack strickland
Marietta Oklahoma
Joined Jan 2007
943 Posts

[quote=GremlinX;468073]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack strickland View Post

Huhh? EGT's on a new and stock Mercury 2.5 off shore are 775-850 pre water mix. I have yet to find a good running air cooled making it's own max power under 1000*.
Double Huhh? You are measuring the egt's after the water has cooled the engine, on a 2.5 hp outboard??? Horse power is also measured as heat production, and the outboard I have is 135 hp, I'm sure the heat is a lot more than our plane engines.
jack strickland is offline Find More Posts by jack strickland

Quick Reply