logo
This thread is privately moderated by rrritchey, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 AM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
How about a trade-in program? If people are going to be buying & selling used Smart-Fly products it may as well be you. Customers can ship in all there old gear, you inspect it, then give them in-store credit. Then you can refurbish and resale the the used gear at a discounted price.

Win, Win
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-08-2013, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
That idea seems to have some merit. Would certainly give more peace of mind to a buyer.
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 AM
Find More Posts by droland
Dallas, TX
Joined Feb 2009
306 Posts
I have been surprised reading about more and more larger planes with IBEC.
I had always thought they were for 30cc and smaller planes only.
I see a few here have mentioned them, but you refuse that idea.
You asked, but I guess you have your personal opinions on them.

When I first got into GS a few years ago, it seem everyone was using the high dollar 7955 servos and such.
I read now where lots of people are using the cheaper servos also.

Seems many are finding lower cost components for their toys.
Good luck. I hope you get your business model figured out.
droland is offline Find More Posts by droland
Old 02-08-2013, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Problem is, I could not continue Smart-Fly as is selling low end products like those. $30-$40 orders kill me on processing time and the profit margin is just not enough to come out ahead at the end of the day. Most places that sell these sell a lot of other stuff and probably end up with bigger checkout tabs than I would since I only sell my stuff. I also just cannot sell things I don't believe in. I'd rather go back to consulting work than sell junk for a profit. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutimus View Post
I have to second you on commending Rob Ritchey and Smart-fly. They are terrific supporters of many, many local and national events. It would be a sad day indeed if Smart-fly ever closed up shop.

I know RR has his reasons for shunning less robust products on the market, but if the demand is softening, and consumers are asking for cheap and simple- maybe it's time to compromise a little. Come out with a "ECO" line of bare bones products like the servo city power bar, or a simple voltage drop diode soldered to a 6" servo extension for A123 ignition batteries, or a bare bones IBEC ( I know- I know). Keep the luxury lineup going for more discerning customers that want the best. Like FASST users. If Futaba ever comes out with an answer to the "powersafe" receiver line... That's going to be tough to compete with.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Its definitely something to consider. Its hard to figure out where to set the price points for trade-in vs resale of a used item. Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnshopmike View Post
How about a trade-in program? If people are going to be buying & selling used Smart-Fly products it may as well be you. Customers can ship in all there old gear, you inspect it, then give them in-store credit. Then you can refurbish and resale the the used gear at a discounted price.

Win, Win
Site Sponsor
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
I had an idea--how about a powerboard that hooks to my SBus rx? Then the ports on the board could be plugged in anywhere and the SBus programmed servo would get the right SBus signal? You get all the benefits of SBus and all the benefits of the powersystem or powerboard!

What do you think of that?
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Find More Posts by purcilas
Team PAS
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2011
328 Posts
The trade in program sounds good.
purcilas is offline Find More Posts by purcilas
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
Yes, that is on the list for this year, in fact I moved it up. Basic idea is one, two or three S.Bus receivers, 24 outputs, you can assign channels to outputs. If you have multiple outputs per channel then you can run those as an Equalizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroSheldon View Post
I had an idea--how about a powerboard that hooks to my SBus rx? Then the ports on the board could be plugged in anywhere and the SBus programmed servo would get the right SBus signal? You get all the benefits of SBus and all the benefits of the powersystem or powerboard!

What do you think of that?
Site Sponsor
Old 02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
Drat I figured I thought of something!
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 02-09-2013, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by boucher0331
Semper Fi
United States, CT, New Milford
Joined Feb 2011
65 Posts
To rrritchey

Just my 2 cents.
I like your products and use them as much as i can!!! Also thank you for all the times i got great service and help from Smart-fly over the years.

-I use an IBEC on every thing from 30cc to my 170cc raven and would like to use a quality product from smartfly, but am forced to use Powerbox Spark switch on 100cc and up. I do use the TBM IBEC and RCEXL IBEC on smaller gas Planes.
It's not as much about the weight but rather on keeping it simple and less things to go wrong. Think about it. From the batt (LIPO) to a power switch, then to a REG, then to a kill switch and finally to the receiver and ignition moduale. Have fun trouble shooting that at the field it one fails on on you. NO THANKS I'll take an IBEC any day over all that and save some money and keep it simple.

-I would also like to see end loading systems from you to keep installs neater and have a LCD meters/read out. It's Nice to push a button and have critical info at you fingers like voltage,amp draw,batt status. for peace on mind.

Keep up the great work.
boucher0331 is offline Find More Posts by boucher0331
Old 02-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
United States, MO, Sullivan
Joined Jul 2011
1,345 Posts
I understand Mr. Ritchey's concern with IBEC. But if today's smarts cars with all their electronic wizzardy function just fine on one battery, surely our toy airplanes can fly on one battery?
pawnshopmike is offline Find More Posts by pawnshopmike
Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by purcilas
Team PAS
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2011
328 Posts
I use the tech aero ibec on all my planes. No problems at all and way cheaper than powerbox.
purcilas is offline Find More Posts by purcilas
Old 02-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Find More Posts by Brutimus
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post
Hi,
Problem is, I could not continue Smart-Fly as is selling low end products like those... I also just cannot sell things I don't believe in. I'd rather go back to consulting work than sell junk for a profit. Thanks.
Stick to your guns. I appreciate not wanting to compromise when it comes to quality. I'm a professional craftsman, and if people can't appreciate what I do, then they can't afford what I'm selling. Quality.

I'm still running a 6 year old EQ10 I bought used five years ago. You replaced a button on it for me last year when it got fuel or something inside. You once replaced a faulty receiving unit for me free of charge that came in a plane I bought used. Your customer service is excellent- and your products are built to last. I know there are many used Smart-fly products out there that will keep working for years to come, and that is the peace of mind your company gives to it's customers.

Smart-fly may slow down, but you will always have a proven customer base that will continue to support you, and your products.
Brutimus is offline Find More Posts by Brutimus
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 02-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
For me the EQ10 seems like the best peoduct out there. I believe the EQ6 ,EQ6Turbo to be equally good. I suggest a EQ3 supports 9 channels has servo matching on three, ailerons, rudder, elevator. Can you do on board telemetery were you can check all parameters after you land, via an onboard screen?
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 02-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by all big scale
Account Closed
United States, LA, Haughton
Joined Jan 2012
1,316 Posts
i have no complaints i live by ur product in all my planes..
all big scale is offline Find More Posts by all big scale

Quick Reply