logo
Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts
Quote:
One of the complaints I have with this bird is the CF main wing spar, as its too big at one end. One end of the spar slips easily into either wing spar pocket, but the other will not.

Sand the phenolic and NOT the cf tube.
If the tube was / is that far off replace it.
I have never seen a tube off on one side.
Doesn't say much for their quality control.
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Last edited by T. Bob; 11-27-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coletrane View Post

Also...I was able to run the XYZ twin again yesterday. It started easily and really seems to run pretty smooth, although fairly loud.. I dialed a bit more on the HSN. Im consistantly seeing 6650-6700 rpm WFO, but for some reason I dont think it pulls as hard as a DLE 55cc single swinging at 22x20. I hooked up my fish scale to the tailwheel and hammered it...max load observed was 25lbs, this is static. IIRC a DLE55 will make around 28-29lbs. I hope it gets better with time....
If I remember correctly, this is a "53" twin? .... Probably "Ain't" gonna happen.....just say'in....
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 11-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
is there a tunnel ?? enough room for a pipe ? i doesn't look like it

and i am intrested to know if this airframe will be pluged by the two pice landing gear that hte smaller 60 size was pleuged by

and you guys shold stop feeding the troll
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Find More Posts by Spridal
Joined May 2010
591 Posts
I have built two of these R50cc's and one thing I would really like to stress is that you go over the entire plane with a fine tooth comb. On both builds I discovered several areas where glue was sparse or non-existent. Also, I would not use the supplied control arms or rods. I used a set of Aeroworks control arms and titanium rods instead.

The plane does fly and perform as advertised. It does great snaps, harriers and will even hover fairly well. She's not what I would call a speed Demon but she does have a wide flight envelope that will be very pleasing for a sport/ semi-3D person. If you are looking for a super fast plane, the R50cc is not for you. If you are looking for a 3D monster, the R50cc is not for you. If you are looking for an all around sport plane then the R50cc should fit the bill nicely.
Spridal is offline Find More Posts by Spridal
Last edited by Spridal; 01-28-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by Shovelhead FLH
United States, SD, Rapid City
Joined Mar 2011
594 Posts
Positive post above, but any airplane should be looked at thoroughly. Hope to see videos.
Shovelhead FLH is offline Find More Posts by Shovelhead FLH
Old 11-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by rob20rx7
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Sep 2012
57 Posts
Great Thread! looking to maybe get one of these for the holidays. Maybe going with a DLE i picked up on here a couple months back.

Great Planes does make some nice ARFS but like every other company a builder should take the time to go through it and make sure there is glue everywhere there is supposed to be.
rob20rx7 is offline Find More Posts by rob20rx7
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
if anyone in the so cal area wants to see one of these up close we have one in stock at Big E's Hobbies in Riverside. I had a 60 revolver that flew well and after reading this thread i thought it would be cool to bring one into the store.

Paul
Big E's Hobbies, Riverside CA
951 823-0600
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Find More Posts by Coletrane
Team JR
United States, OK, Owasso
Joined May 2011
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spridal View Post
I have built two of these R50cc's and one thing I would really like to stress is that you go over the entiire plane with a fine tooth comb. On both builds I discovered several areas where glue was sparse or non-existent. Also, I would not use the supplied control arms or rods. I used a set of Aeroworks control arms and titanium rods instead.

The plane does fly and perform as advertised. It does great snaps, harriers and will even hover fairly well. She's not what I would call a speed Demon but she does have a wide flight envelope that will be very pleasing for a sport/ semi-3D person. If you are looking for a super fast plane, the R50cc is not for you. If you are looking for a 3D monster, the R50cc is not for you. If you are looking for an all around sport plane then the R50cc should fit the bill nicely.
Awesome info bud, I really appreciate it... Its odd because inside the secondary cardboard box was a tech note from GP, requesting that the entire airframe be inspected thoroughly for loose glue joints and add where nececssary. Now that Im thinking about it, I dont know why I didnt flag this and post about it, but to me the airframe looked fine. I went over everything visually, HEAVILY and honestly nothing caught my eye as "lacking" adhesive or anything for that matter. I agree with the horns/control rods....I immediately decided to change those out for exactly what you mentioned, AW metal double truss horns and aluminum turnbuckles on all surfaces..

As far as the way it flies, I just maidened it yesterday eve and will post a lil write up..
Coletrane is offline Find More Posts by Coletrane
Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Team JR
Joined May 2011
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande View Post
If I remember correctly, this is a "53" twin? .... Probably "Ain't" gonna happen.....just say'in....
Yea, your correct and I ASSumed it would not be as strong, BUT how much less. The owner simply had this XYZ twin NIB and figured we'd give it a shot. I did get the maiden accomplished last night, so ill post my opinions tonight....thx
Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
TUNNEL YES OR NO ... ?

enough salesman ! does the gear suck ass like 70 " yes or no ?
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 11-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Team JR
Joined May 2011
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Bob View Post
Sand the phenolic and NOT the cf tube.
If the tube was / is that far off replace it.
I have never seen a tube off on one side.
Doesn't say much for their quality control.
I have never seen a inconsistently sized tube either, but your last sentence was my thought.. The tube should've been corrected before it was packaged up. I have the size variance written down at home, but it wasn't much and FWIW the tube would fit either pocket, but youd damage the wing/tube removing it. It took me 45min sanding because I didn't want to remove too much, not because it needed a lot of material removed.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Team JR
Joined May 2011
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by futile flight View Post
TUNNEL YES OR NO ... ?

enough salesman ! does the gear suck ass like 70 " yes or no ?

Nice.... If your comparing the two Revolvers airframe gear mount structures? NO, it does NOT "suck"... the two are completely different structures and IMO the Rev50cc gear structure is very solid and very well made. Hardwood blocks that are pinned in, with plenty of adhesive. On this ARF the aluminum gear was not bent quite enough and the wheels have a tad of toe out, but the aluminum material is PLENTY stout. Just a bit irritating, visually and Ill take it off to correct.... This is all from a visual perspective only, I could UN-cover it all and inspect further?

And no, from the factory there's no tunnel, but yes IMO there's room under the main tray...
Last edited by Coletrane; 11-28-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by T. Bob
Major League Deadbeat
Munster Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
2,391 Posts
I would email them
You cant be the only one.
You may get somthing free or a line of BS.
T. Bob is offline Find More Posts by T. Bob
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by robbinsp
United States, SD, Harrisburg
Joined Sep 2009
3,358 Posts
T-bob, perhaps you could spend your time more wisely doing something else. I have laughed with your dry sense of humor in the past, but now it occured to me that your bantering has to end. You have no productive input for this thread.
robbinsp is offline Find More Posts by robbinsp
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Find More Posts by jdawg
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Jan 2011
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbinsp View Post
T-bob, perhaps you could spend your time more wisely doing something else. I have laughed with your dry sense of humor in the past, but now it occured to me that your bantering has to end. You have no productive input for this thread.
I second that...it's kind of lame to dog on a guy that has taken the time to do a build thread. I understand if it's not the type of plane we all like but if it's not your style, move on. We all know the time it takes to build or assemble, whatever you want to call it, and it takes even longer to log each step on a forum. Cole flew the plane but I'm afraid he won't take the time to share the details because of negativity. Unnecessary negativity...
jdawg is offline Find More Posts by jdawg

Quick Reply