logo
Old 07-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Find More Posts by rzubiria
United States, FL, Weston
Joined Jun 2006
14 Posts
Servo speed-A123-Power Expan.

Hello All,

I just bought a Power expander 14MZ. Will be using it with a JR R1221 receiver and two A123 Fromeco batteries. I need a help on the following questions:

1. Do I need one or two switches?
2. I wont be using regulators. What will happen with the servo speed if on the first couple of flights the battery voltage will be higher than the voltage of the batteries at tthe end of the flying day. Having no regulators, the voltage will be lower at the end than at the beginning. Do you thing it will be perceptable this speed change? Having a higher voltage, the servo speed will be higher. After a few flight, the batteries will give a lower voltage so the spped will be lower. I would like to here comments about it.

Thanks,
rzubiria is offline Find More Posts by rzubiria
Last edited by rzubiria; 07-20-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Bdegan
Learn 1 thing new Every Day
Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jul 2008
1,894 Posts
Re: Servo speed-A123-Power Expan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzubiria View Post
Hello All,

I just bought a Power expander 14MZ. Will be using it with a JR R1221 receiver and two A123 Fromeco batteries. I need a help on the following questions:
I could not find any info on a Power Expander 14MZ. Could you post a link to it ?

Quote:
1. Do I need one or two switches?
Depends on the power expander and your set up. Need more info on this Expander 14MZ.
I use the Power expander Pro that has a soft switch. It eliminates the need for 2 switches. My battery packs are plugged directly into the power expander.
If the soft switch were to fail or become disconnected. The default for the Power expander pro is for the power to remain on. It won't turn off accidentally.

Quote:
2. I wont be using regulators. What will happen with the servo speed if on the first couple of flights the battery voltage will be higher than the voltage of the batteries at tthe end of the flying day. Having no regulators, the voltage will be lower at the end than at the beginning. Do you thing it will be perceptable this speed change? Having a higher voltage, the servo speed will be higher. After a few flight, the batteries will give a lower voltage so the spped will be lower. I would like to here comments about it.
with A123's regulators are not necessary. An A123 pack will have a slightly higher voltage off the charger. But within the first couple of minutes, the a123's will level off at 6.6 volts and stay there for a long time. If and when the voltage does drop. It will be signifagant and very noticable.
Chances are you will recharge before you every let a receiver pack get that low. Most people , myself included will top up the receiver packs after 4 or 5 flights at the field if you plan to continue with more flights. You can charge these batteries pretty aggresively and it shouldn't take more than 20 to 30 minutes to top up both packs.
Bdegan is offline Find More Posts by Bdegan
Old 01-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Re: Servo speed-A123-Power Expan.

Hi,
The above post covered a lot of the questions. The PowerExpander MZ can use either a failsafe switch, in which case you only need one, or you can use two mechanical switches, one on each battery. You should not see a big servo speed difference dropping from 7.2V to 6.6V.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor

Quick Reply