logo
Old 08-11-2015, 05:07 PM
Find More Posts by Fustrated
Joined Aug 2015
2 Posts
Ken, This seems to go above the repair/dealer level. After receiving several different cylinders it is pretty clear that this is a factory issue. The engine guy I was referring to said it would likely need to be bored out to the next size with a new piston to try and get past the pitting section. That's if the casting is not so bad there are these pits throughout it. I was really hoping to keep it private between Fergus and I but I have been trying to contact him since 7/27. I feel this was ample time for some sort of answer and he has been logged into this site.
Fustrated is offline Find More Posts by Fustrated
Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM
Find More Posts by ken crane
gp factory service north east
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fustrated View Post
Ken, This seems to go above the repair/dealer level. After receiving several different cylinders it is pretty clear that this is a factory issue. The engine guy I was referring to said it would likely need to be bored out to the next size with a new piston to try and get past the pitting section. That's if the casting is not so bad there are these pits throughout it. I was really hoping to keep it private between Fergus and I but I have been trying to contact him since 7/27. I feel this was ample time for some sort of answer and he has been logged into this site.

I have only seen that a couple of times and they were caught early in production. I have cylinders that are perfect and have all been inspected. not making excuses or running interference for Fergus but I can help resolve this. I am aware Fergus is working on a project right now that is taking up most of his time.
ken crane is offline Find More Posts by ken crane
Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by dakota97
IMAC Intermediate
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2006
49 Posts
How many do you have? Mine are also pitted.
dakota97 is offline Find More Posts by dakota97
Old 08-12-2015, 11:19 AM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
I will need to see pictures
Old 08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken crane View Post
I will need to see pictures sent to my email: mrfixit220@gmaildotcom
put a period instead of the dot. this helps stop spammers
Old 08-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
the last mail I get was 7/27 that you told me you want switvh another brand
We did sold thousand of cylinder on 88/176 and only very few of them . has the issue like you
I did gauge the stock have and non of them has the issue like pic.
If you want service Ken will take care of you, If you want replace please go thrugh your dealer they will arrange the switching
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by rmasek
United States, OH, Cleve
Joined Feb 2010
239 Posts
does anyone know what size 3 blade prop would be good for the 88 evo on a warbird.
rmasek is offline Find More Posts by rmasek
Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmasek View Post
does anyone know what size 3 blade prop would be good for the 88 evo on a warbird.
the 88 has the power of a 100 cc twin if this helps
Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by tigger52
Joined May 2012
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planebender View Post
I'm sorry your engine is down on power. I would be happy to take your Canisters and test them on my engine if you would like and report back to you. If I find them down on power I will replace them FREE. I have done the same test that you just did by installing the stock mufflers on my engine. Once it was the exact same RPM and another time the cans were 50 rpm higher.
I'm happy to pay the shipping if the test produces a reduction in power at all. I sure wish we could take a look at that engine, I'm sure we could spot an issue if their is one. Just want to help.

Dave
Hi all,

following the upper post of Dave, and to give the following part of this story, here are the last (but not final...) update.

First I want to thank again Dave for his offer and for the great service, even if the result of the test were not the one I expected.
I'm definitely sure that I wouldn't have such a good service from other european brand.

So, after the tests of MY proflow canisters on Dave's GP176, he had 50 more RPM with mine... so the canisters are NOT the origin of my 5200/5300 RPM with the same combo.

BUT untill yesterday, I hadn't the opportunity to perform flight test with last package with which RPM were good (5700RPM) on the ground, that's to say GP 176 EVO with original mufflers (or with KS canisters), Mejzlick 32/10.

And the fact is .....
....that I have again the same low RPM on the ground!!
So I didn't even try to test it in flight! (I do confirm that it was with fresh gas with 2,5% oil ratio).

So after all this story, I'm fed up with all these tests on my GP on which everything looks very good, but doesn't work so good!
I decided to send it to a french engine mechanic who is used to work on all multi cylinder gas or glow with all kind of ignition.
I don't know what he can find on this GP, and what will be the final price of his work but my trouble is really beyond my skills.

I let you know when I have more info.
tigger52 is offline Find More Posts by tigger52
Old 09-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
TAIWAN Kaohsiung
Joined Jun 2006
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger52 View Post
Hi all,

following the upper post of Dave, and to give the following part of this story, here are the last (but not final...) update.

First I want to thank again Dave for his offer and for the great service, even if the result of the test were not the one I expected.
I'm definitely sure that I wouldn't have such a good service from other european brand.

So, after the tests of MY proflow canisters on Dave's GP176, he had 50 more RPM with mine... so the canisters are NOT the origin of my 5200/5300 RPM with the same combo.

BUT untill yesterday, I hadn't the opportunity to perform flight test with last package with which RPM were good (5700RPM) on the ground, that's to say GP 176 EVO with original mufflers (or with KS canisters), Mejzlick 32/10.

And the fact is .....
....that I have again the same low RPM on the ground!!
So I didn't even try to test it in flight! (I do confirm that it was with fresh gas with 2,5% oil ratio).

So after all this story, I'm fed up with all these tests on my GP on which everything looks very good, but doesn't work so good!
I decided to send it to a french engine mechanic who is used to work on all multi cylinder gas or glow with all kind of ignition.
I don't know what he can find on this GP, and what will be the final price of his work but my trouble is really beyond my skills.

I let you know when I have more info.
I think you going to wrong way to save the problem...
Your GP engine has good RPM with muffler than it was telling that engine has no issue at all
Dave testing your muffler and it did not drop the RPM and it tell canister has no issue
the engine and canister has proved will not effect the RPM
than find something eales......might be your header length....
Zi-Chun Lin is offline Find More Posts by Zi-Chun Lin
Old 09-07-2015, 02:34 PM
Find More Posts by tigger52
Joined May 2012
44 Posts
Hi Fergus,

I think that I must clarify and sum up the events, as it seems to be not clear.
I didn't fly between my last test and yesterday and I was confident as I didn't change anything on my model since my last test.

Dave gave to me his results with my canister last week and I wanted to flight test my setup (that was good 3 weeks ago) before my report here.
I was really upset to discover that my last good result was only a coincidence that had nothing to do with mufflers and canisters.

To sum up:

07/25/2015 morning with proflow : mejzlick 31/12 EVO L: 5300/5400 RPM
mejzlick 30/12 standard: 5750 RPM

07/25/2015 afternoon with original mufflers: mejzlick 30/12 standard: 6050 RPM
mejzlick 32/10 standard: 5700 RPM

last ground test: 08/07/2015 with ks canisters : mejzlick 32/10: 5750 RPM

And yesterday with original mufflers and fresh gas: mejzlick32/10: 5300 RPM

I won't list again all the tests I performed on carburator, ignition, plug, tank, propeller, battery etc etc...

So the engine is enroute to a mechanic who will hopefully find something that may explain my trouble.
tigger52 is offline Find More Posts by tigger52
Old 11-30-2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by sleepper
Helsinki
Joined Feb 2006
22 Posts
Anyone flying 176 Evo with pipes? What props you are using?
Falcon 31x13 is way too loud with KS-pipes, it gets 6000 rpm in ground and it starts ripping in the air with 3/4 throttle. Planning to try Falcon 31x14 but 3 blade would be an option..is the 29x13x3 best choice for the freestyle flying?

Thanks in advance,

Mikko
sleepper is offline Find More Posts by sleepper
Last edited by sleepper; 11-30-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Canisters replaced with ks-pipes
Old 11-30-2015, 10:26 AM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 The mej 28.5x12x3 is by far the most popular 3 blade prop for this engine. Very quiet. I have a 150 on pipes with that prop. Extremely quiet in the air. The 31x12 is a louder prop.

this is also the best prop so far for power and for sound that I have tested for the 176. this is in a 40% pau edge. I have spent 600.00 on worthless props to get to this point.

40% pau edge evo 176 on smooth pipes
Old 11-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by Robotech
United States, AR, Pine Bluff
Joined Aug 2006
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken crane View Post
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 The mej 28.5x12x3 is by far the most popular 3 blade prop for this engine. Very quiet. I have a 150 on pipes with that prop. Extremely quiet in the air. The 31x12 is a louder prop.

this is also the best prop so far for power and for sound that I have tested for the 176. this is in a 40% pau edge. I have spent 600.00 on worthless props to get to this point.

40% pau edge evo 176 on smooth pipes
I have found the 28.5X12S 3 bladeperforms a little better than the plain 28.5X12.
Robotech is online now Find More Posts by Robotech
Old 11-30-2015, 11:22 AM
SUNNY CAPE COD MA.
Joined Dec 2007
1,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech View Post
I have found the 28.5X12S 3 bladeperforms a little better than the plain 28.5X12.

sorry you are correct I failed to add the s