logo
Old 01-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by jahatton
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Hi evopower, glad you enjoyed the thread. Looking forward for the maiden.
Jim
jahatton is offline Find More Posts by jahatton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by evopower
Flyin' Around
Joined Jan 2014
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar View Post
thanks bud
evopower is offline Find More Posts by evopower
Old 03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Jahatton
After having this kit for almost 5 months I am getting close to starting the build. Had a run of bad luck over the winter as I had four surgeries in the past few months and now I have to go in for knee surgery soon..
Well at least while I am recovering I can work on the Sbach. It's amazing what I have to do just to get time off to build.

This is what I'm installing in this build
Futaba BLS177SV servos 514 oz. for control surfaces.
Futaba S9170SV choke and throttle servo.
Rpm and engine temp telemetry.
GP 61 gas engine with canister.
Rcxcel Optical kill.
50 oz rotoflow fuel tank,, ya I like to fly a long time.

I will be setting this up using Sbus with my own custom wiring.
I'm not sold on spending $700 or so on power distribution box when the sbus will exceed any expectations of the power box. I will snap a few pictures as I go and you will see how I am setting up my wiring.
I have been reworking the engine mounting when I can find the time. The firewall with my kit was soft, anytime you start to tighten engine mounting bolts and it starts to pull the mount itself through ,,, that was all I needed to see to take the time and do it right.

I am building a new firewall with SIG aircraft plywood and aluminum cap that will wrap around and tie in with the existing mounting. I don't want to have this engine go places it shouldn't. The size of the engine and the power it produces from what I understand is unbelievable so a little extra time in this area won't hurt any. Besides when I get stupid and turn it into a lawn dart at 1000 feet,, to get the engine out of the dirt all I will have to do is dig down to the engine mount to pull the engine out..

Well I will keep you posted and hope to have a few pictures soon.
Oldhelidog is offline Find More Posts by Oldhelidog
Old 03-16-2014, 12:50 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhelidog View Post
Jahatton
After having this kit for almost 5 months I am getting close to starting the build. Had a run of bad luck over the winter as I had four surgeries in the past few months and now I have to go in for knee surgery soon..
Well at least while I am recovering I can work on the Sbach. It's amazing what I have to do just to get time off to build.

This is what I'm installing in this build
Futaba BLS177SV servos 514 oz. for control surfaces.
Futaba S9170SV choke and throttle servo.
Rpm and engine temp telemetry.
GP 61 gas engine with canister.
Rcxcel Optical kill.
50 oz rotoflow fuel tank,, ya I like to fly a long time.

I will be setting this up using Sbus with my own custom wiring.
I'm not sold on spending $700 or so on power distribution box when the sbus will exceed any expectations of the power box. I will snap a few pictures as I go and you will see how I am setting up my wiring.
I have been reworking the engine mounting when I can find the time. The firewall with my kit was soft, anytime you start to tighten engine mounting bolts and it starts to pull the mount itself through ,,, that was all I needed to see to take the time and do it right.

I am building a new firewall with SIG aircraft plywood and aluminum cap that will wrap around and tie in with the existing mounting. I don't want to have this engine go places it shouldn't. The size of the engine and the power it produces from what I understand is unbelievable so a little extra time in this area won't hurt any. Besides when I get stupid and turn it into a lawn dart at 1000 feet,, to get the engine out of the dirt all I will have to do is dig down to the engine mount to pull the engine out..

Well I will keep you posted and hope to have a few pictures soon.
Hi Oldhelidog, sorry to hear about the problems with surgerys. Looking forward on seeing the build pictures. Tell me you have or had a killer 150cc plane you robbed the gear from. lol
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
JAhatton
Thanks, ya medical problems slow you down, 3 years on a new kidney but other issues arise because of the effects and now a knee,,

Nope no big plane to take the equipment out of ,, no place to put them, small house, I fly 700 and 800 size helicopters mostly but I figured it was time to start flying fixed wing again to teach my son.
The Sbach is as large as I can move around. It will fit in my caravan with my helicopters so this summer we should have about 10 aircraft to fly.

Right now I'm working on an engine test stand for the GP 61 engine. Want to run it a little before installing it. As for the kit I have not seen any major issues. This is my first ARF.
Over my 40 years in this hobby I have always kit built or scratch built. I like to control the quality of my aircraft so I know what they can handle.

I wasn't joking when I made the comment about the lawn dart at 1000 feet.. I have only folded one wing in my life and after that I have never been able to break one since. The planes are a little heavier but the wings don't let go.

In about a week I will start getting some pics. Just about have everything needed for the build.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:27 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Hi Oldhelidog, Wow you can't get any worse of a medical problem. R/C airplanes kept me going through some dark times. I use to fly a Century Raven 50 but cost of parts and fuel killed that... now been in quadcopters for almost a year now and finely seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
Here is an idea for an engine test stand I made. I wanted to see what thrust my chainsaw conversions were getting on different prop/muffler combos.
Converting Your Chainsaw (5 min 38 sec)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:07 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
Jahatton
Just starting on my stand, was at the shop picking out some scrap aluminum and threw some pieces together.. It's not pretty but it will work.
I have room for slides underneath the main mounting rails so I can do some static thrust measurements.
I'm trying to get if finished for next weekend so I can run it up in the shop at work..
Old 03-17-2014, 05:08 PM
United States, MN
Joined Oct 2013
93 Posts
One more pic
Name: image.jpg
Views: 101
Size: 161.6 KB
Description:
Old 03-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhelidog View Post
One more pic
Attachment 630662
Awesome work, I'm impressed!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by yankphan
Lower....LLLOOOWWWEEERRRR R !!!
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Feb 2012
330 Posts
Question... hello all, I just bought an sbach 50cc from troybuilt models....It looks EXACTLY like this arf.... are these knock offs of piliots arf ? They look awesome. how does the covering hold up ? I have many arfs with ultracote and they bubble pretty easy...just worried about these peeling like I see on those rcguys super decathlons. Thanks for your time...starting my build next week. Also, what is the recommended CG ?
yankphan is offline Find More Posts by yankphan
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 AM
Find More Posts by krxprt
United States, MI, Davisburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,295 Posts
Did you get to maiden it yet?
krxprt is offline Find More Posts by krxprt
Old 04-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Hope, British Columbia
Joined Sep 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankphan View Post
Question... hello all, I just bought an sbach 50cc from troybuilt models....It looks EXACTLY like this arf.... are these knock offs of piliots arf ? They look awesome. how does the covering hold up ? I have many arfs with ultracote and they bubble pretty easy...just worried about these peeling like I see on those rcguys super decathlons. Thanks for your time...starting my build next week. Also, what is the recommended CG ?
Hi yankphan, form some who have had the Pilot RC SBach the parts do interchange. I have a carbon landing gear and wing spars from Pilot RC.
As for the covering I kringed at the thought of the covering pealing. I went ahead and brush painted clear Varathane on all the edges. It was pains taking for me and took a couple of hours to complete.
Looking forward for some pictures of your plane and the build. Show us what you got!
Jim
Old 04-09-2014, 03:34 AM
Joined Feb 2012
330 Posts
I sure will... Did you really think you had paint the edges ? Is it a monokote covering or what they call chinacote ? Not really sure if there's a difference. My Troy built model arf comes with carbon gear, wing and stab tubes ... Even a painted to match carbon spinner. I swear this thing comes out of the same factory as pilot. It ven has rubber tires not foam.
How is she holding up ?
Last edited by yankphan; 04-09-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:51 AM
Joined Feb 2012
330 Posts
Is the CG at the wing tube or behind it ?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
330 Posts
Received my arf today from tbm
WHAT A BEAUTY!!