logo
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
Yeah Anthony I'm planning a 22/24 oz tank. Just keep running out of time everyday! I know we need them and its a priority.
Jason
Any plans for a 50 to 60 oz tank?
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyeflyer View Post
I had one leak and fill my slick full of gas... Third flight!!!! No one ever put out a warning... Did you notice manufacturer gave you a way to fix it yourself, dont you think they should have offered to fix them.. Everyone makes mistakes, its how you handle them that tells what type of company you are.. Fortitude you failed!! Once you realized you had a problem you should have issued a warning so you could have saved my plane from being fuel soaked and others from having dead sticks and damaging their high dollar planes..

Just my opinion!!
I guess we all need our hand held and help walking through life at times.
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Find More Posts by dookieshoot
Pro kool aid drinker
Mass
Joined Feb 2010
282 Posts
Just wondering if anyone checks there crap before they install it? I dunno, maybe I'm crazy or just an idiot. I'm broke as a joke, and when I actually get a big "new to me" plane you bet your ass I check everything! Twice!!! Servos, rx's and other assorted electronics get tested in a disposable airframe for worthiness. Tanks get air tested and liquid tested BEFORE installation. Linkages, screws, hinges all get looked over during the preflight.

Doesn't anyone do this stuff anymore? Even at my own field I see it. I'm not an old timer who's been at this for 30 years, but I learned from them. The "back in the day" ways are getting lost. If you want to just order a plane, fuel it and fly be prepared to shell out more $ when the crap goes down. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty be prepared to have a plane for as long as gravity allows it
dookieshoot is offline Find More Posts by dookieshoot
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Find More Posts by gapple12
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookieshoot View Post
Just wondering if anyone checks there crap before they install it? I dunno, maybe I'm crazy or just an idiot. I'm broke as a joke, and when I actually get a big "new to me" plane you bet your ass I check everything! Twice!!! Servos, rx's and other assorted electronics get tested in a disposable airframe for worthiness. Tanks get air tested and liquid tested BEFORE installation. Linkages, screws, hinges all get looked over during the preflight.

Doesn't anyone do this stuff anymore? Even at my own field I see it. I'm not an old timer who's been at this for 30 years, but I learned from them. The "back in the day" ways are getting lost. If you want to just order a plane, fuel it and fly be prepared to shell out more $ when the crap goes down. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty be prepared to have a plane for as long as gravity allows it
Good post..........I check everything 10 times, and 10 times again once I'm at the field.
gapple12 is offline Find More Posts by gapple12
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by cbh82v
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jul 2012
82 Posts
Quote:

2nd on the great post. I run these tanks in all of my gas planes. No, they are not bullet proof. But they are much better than anything out there. I don't have to run a T fitting for my fill line. I don't have to safety wire or zip tie the connections. If there is a problem in the tank I can see it. No more guessing if the clunk fell off, or trying to find the air leak. With some care and periodic inspections these tanks work great.
cbh82v is offline Find More Posts by cbh82v
Old 02-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Pro kool aid drinker
Mass
Joined Feb 2010
282 Posts
10 times may be excessive....but she's certainly airworthy!!!

Maybe it's because it's because everyone is getting itchy to go out and fly, cabin fever is in full effect for many of us....but there has been a lot of b!tching lately about products and companies that put this stuff out on the market. We all got our stories, even me!

I ordered a pilot sbach from chief (30 cc) about two years ago. It arrived and I was really stoked! Upon opening the boxes I found one wing sustained damage in transport. This was devasting to me, I don't buy new planes, I'm broke as a joke! I called chief...to let them know about the problem AND to tell them I repaired the problem! A couple ribs got smooshed, but a little ca and balsa patch pieces put her back together. The point of the call was to inform them of the issue and maybe they could use the info in the future. The last thing I would do is put them on blast on the net. If I want a perfect plane, well I better get off my ass and build it!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Quote:
10 times may be excessive....but she's certainly airworthy!!!

Maybe it's because it's because everyone is getting itchy to go out and fly, cabin fever is in full effect for many of us....but there has been a lot of b!tching lately about products and companies that put this stuff out on the market. We all got our stories, even me!

I ordered a pilot sbach from chief (30 cc) about two years ago. It arrived and I was really stoked! Upon opening the boxes I found one wing sustained damage in transport. This was devasting to me, I don't buy new planes, I'm broke as a joke! I called chief...to let them know about the problem AND to tell them I repaired the problem! A couple ribs got smooshed, but a little ca and balsa patch pieces put her back together. The point of the call was to inform them of the issue and maybe they could use the info in the future. The last thing I would do is put them on blast on the net. If I want a perfect plane, well I better get off my ass and build it!!!
Well, maybe not 10 times.....But you can bet as I assemble the plane I yank on everything, check over my fuel lines, all that. I don't slap it together and fly it. I'm like you, if I crash it, I wont be getting another one for a long time. My wife just doesn't understand this hobby enough to let me buy all I want, I have to work for it.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by Josh Price
3DHS Trunk-Monkey
Arkansas
Joined May 2006
4,297 Posts
I break my fuel tanks in by running 5 gal lawn boy ashless through them first.
Josh Price is offline Find More Posts by Josh Price
Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
Find More Posts by JagerBomb
St Peters Missouri
Joined Jan 2006
1,123 Posts
And I thought you were a Stihl Ultra man
JagerBomb is offline Find More Posts by JagerBomb
Old 02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Ok you said it better than me. Great post
Quote:

mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old 02-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Pro kool aid drinker
Mass
Joined Feb 2010
282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Price View Post
I break my fuel tanks in by running 5 gal lawn boy ashless through them first.
Awesome!!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Find More Posts by phippsj
Shut up and Fly!
Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,190 Posts
I've purposely removed the cap on two new tanks to swap out the clunk with a solid metal one for smoke oil. I just put a little fuel in the tanks and stopped up the fittings so they wouldn't leak and tilted the tanks up so the fuel would sit on the cap and soften the thread sealant. After doing the swap I just screwed the cap back on and installed in my plane. I've had no leaks so far.

I've also done this on a tank configured for fuel to swap out the clunk line that shortened up. Should I find some of the fuel-proof sealant to apply to the cap threads?

I'm used to using B&B tanks that require no sealant on the cap threads or the fittings. Switched to the 4titude tanks so I could see inside them and keep an eye on the clunk line.
phippsj is offline Find More Posts by phippsj
Old 02-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Nobody has more fun than me!
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
3,140 Posts
I replaced my clunk like yesterday and went to Home Depot and got some "Seal All" and put it on the threads.
AeroSheldon is offline Find More Posts by AeroSheldon
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Joined Aug 2006
4,561 Posts
Yup, SEAL ALL works great.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by 37ps
Flyin' Around
Joined Aug 2011
4 Posts
Im new to gas planes so i installed a 32oz fortitude in my 100cc pilot, after running 1/2 tank i noticed the vent line was loose and the inner o ring was ripped, dont wanna take a chance having my $4500 plane soaked with gas so im just gunna buy a dubro and rebuild it every winter. I'll gladly sacrifice a few oz for no chance of leaks. if anyones interisted i have a new fortitude 32oz smoke tank id like to recoop some of my loss for $15. I did open the bag but never installed it. Petesan34@att.net
37ps is offline Find More Posts by 37ps

Quick Reply