logo
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Find More Posts by rusty55125
Minnesota
Joined Apr 2006
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
Matt Komro is from Wisconsin and has done several of Bill's large planes and knows his way around them. A 1/4 scale cub with a 105" wing will fly well with a 20cc motor, I have a Aeoworks C Cub 110" wing and it was over powered with a 50 as it was designed for----it will fly well with a 30cc motor. I guess I have too much flight time in full scale cubs and super cubs to fly anything but scale with the cubs but if you want to hover and all that 3-D stuff then have at it------my comment said that you do not need a big motor to make the plane perform especially scale. I have 5 cubs-----all of different sizes from a 68" electric up to the BH 40% super cub on floats so I do know a thing or 2 about Cubs. Now tell us: who are you????
Do you have any pictures of you 40% supercub? I have been thinking of purchasing one of them or the 40% L-4 the Bill provides. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

Scott
rusty55125 is offline Find More Posts by rusty55125
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty55125 View Post
Do you have any pictures of you 40% supercub? I have been thinking of purchasing one of them or the 40% L-4 the Bill provides. Just haven't made up my mind yet.

Scott
If you go to the float plane thread here on the Giants there are plenty of pics and video of the 40% super cub on floats as well as many others. If you are planning floats in the future I would recommend the super cub as the flaps will aid you off/on smaller lakes. We will be maidening during the first week of April here in Florida a 60% BH L-4 on floats----a 50% BH super cub on floats (actually amphib's) and a BH 46% Pawnee. Bob and Matt will be coming to Florida with a trailer load of big one's. Check out the float thread but in the mean time here a few pics.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Find More Posts by mighty9
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman89 View Post
Matt Komro is from Wisconsin and has done several of Bill's large planes and knows his way around them. A 1/4 scale cub with a 105" wing will fly well with a 20cc motor, I have a Aeoworks C Cub 110" wing and it was over powered with a 50 as it was designed for----it will fly well with a 30cc motor. I guess I have too much flight time in full scale cubs and super cubs to fly anything but scale with the cubs but if you want to hover and all that 3-D stuff then have at it------my comment said that you do not need a big motor to make the plane perform especially scale. I have 5 cubs-----all of different sizes from a 68" electric up to the BH 40% super cub on floats so I do know a thing or 2 about Cubs. Now tell us: who are you????
Im just a guy with several cubs. {5 myself} Nice to meet you sherm.Not all cubs fly in circles some can do aerobatics like the full scale ones. I asked a simple question and you fogged on me. I never said it wouldnt fly with a 20 cc .These cubs need some nose weight and balance perfect with the 36cc engine. Ill be sure to ask your opinion next time i build a cub.I have no idea why you quoted me when all i did was answer about his tank size. Next time you want to be an fog direct it to someone else please.
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old 02-24-2012, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by sherman89
Ocala Fl
Joined Feb 2007
2,988 Posts
mighty9,

My apologies----you did not bring in the size of the motor. The next time you are down here in Florida come by and I will take you up in a 65hp cub and you can show me how to do all those aerobatics you are talking about. Then we can go up in a 180 hp super cub and you can demonstrate your abilities in it. Get my point yet----from one fog to another.
sherman89 is offline Find More Posts by sherman89
Old 02-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Ok point made. I dont fly full scale and you wont get me in a full size plane ever . Ive been in a couple mishaps as passenger and was nearly killed in an ultralight when the engine quit on takeoff. The pilot did all he could nose down but we still hit hard enough i broke my back. ,and the prop took our shoes off.So sorry ill pass on your offer. Again read my post my CLIPPED WING cub does aerobatics like the full scale. I dont hover my cubs.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by nefarious
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Not that I need to justify my engine choice but; Bill suggests 30-50cc. After seeing pics of the cowl cut to clear the side exit exhaust of the 30's I chose the PTE36 because of its rear exhaust.
nefarious is offline Find More Posts by nefarious
Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts
Cool plane... Love the L-4 version of the Cub
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 02-24-2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Everything but the engine arrived today. Got the tail aligned & marked and Tail servos mounted. Had to open up the hole for the rudder servo a little to get the servo to drop in. Will have to do the same for the throttle servo as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Thats great.What servos did you go with? When you get to the flying wires i have some advice pm me if you want and ill explain it there .
Old 02-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Thats great.What servos did you go with? When you get to the flying wires i have some advice pm me if you want and ill explain it there .
Went with Power HD 1501MG for everything. Overkill on power but can't beat the price ($14 each).

I'm all for advice on the flying wires. I'm also struggling to find the mounting holes for the wing struts under the covering on the wings. Could you measure from the fuse to the mount points so at least my search is narrowed?
Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Sure ill measure them up. I went with those 1501 for my hemple decathlon im building. I hope they work well.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
Sure ill measure them up. I went with those 1501 for my hemple decathlon im building. I hope they work well.
From what I've read on here they're a great servo for the money.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
The front strut mounts are 21 1/4 and 22 inches from the root 3 inches in from the leading edge. The rear struts are the same as the front but 10 inches in from the leading edge. The wire strut support is 12 inches from the root and 3 inches to the leading edge and 10 inches to the leading edge.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
Quote:
The front strut mounts are 21 1/4 and 22 inches from the root 3 inches in from the leading edge. The rear struts are the same as the front but 10 inches in from the leading edge. The wire strut support is 12 inches from the root and 3 inches to the leading edge and 10 inches to the leading edge.
Thanks! That help a lot.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,285 Posts
Hows the build going?

Quick Reply