logo
Old 03-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by RC_Feen
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
Discussion
Plane Storage options

I'm looking for some options for a rack I can mount to the wall in my shop in the basement. The wall I need to use is a cement wall that has the insulation wrap on it. I originally bought a rubbermaid fast track rail system but the problem is that the longest self extension is only 20" long. Problem is I need the extension to be at least 24" long for the stabs to clear the wall when on the rack. Ended up returning the fast track system and now looking for another option. Here is what I'm working with looking for some suggestions. Thanks!

RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by slowgto
United States, FL, Wellington
Joined Oct 2014
309 Posts
I built one out of 1" SCH 60 PVC. It works really well and hold a 60CC, 30CC, and 120CC COMP bird just fine.
slowgto is offline Find More Posts by slowgto
Old 03-09-2015, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
3,260 Posts
I bought some of those adjustable wall mounted shelving units and used some 1" PVC piping to cradle the airplane. Totally adjustable depending on the airplane. They do make components to drill and mount into concrete walls
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by jstyle13
Is it time to go fly again yet
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Here ya go.
jstyle13 is offline Find More Posts by jstyle13
Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstyle13 View Post
Here ya go.
I thought about doing that. Is there any concern hanging the plane by the horizontal stabs? Just seems that all the weight of the plane is on thoes two points on the stabs. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
same hardware works well horizontally

The lighter duty single slot faceouts work well too
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Old 03-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstyle13 View Post
Here ya go.
Hanging nose down can cause some issues with the fuel tank clunk lines. Hanging by the prop can cause issues with the engine's front seal. Hanging nose up if done via the landing gear works but it's awkward to put the models up or get them down. Horizontal is really the best position to store models IMHO.
Zeeb is online now Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 03-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Hanging nose down can cause some issues with the fuel tank clunk lines. Hanging by the prop can cause issues with the engine's front seal. Hanging nose up if done via the landing gear works but it's awkward to put the models up or get them down. Horizontal is really the best position to store models IMHO.
Yep. agreed!

I use the Harbor Freight bicycle lifts. $7.49. Attach some 550 cord with pool noodles around them to protect the plane and keep the planes over your head.
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 03-11-2015, 12:32 PM
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I'm looking for some options for a rack I can mount to the wall in my shop in the basement. The wall I need to use is a cement wall that has the insulation wrap on it. I originally bought a rubbermaid fast track rail system but the problem is that the longest self extension is only 20" long. Problem is I need the extension to be at least 24" long for the stabs to clear the wall when on the rack. Ended up returning the fast track system and now looking for another option. Here is what I'm working with looking for some suggestions. Thanks!
p.s.
a couple photos of the face out system on the other Block wall in my basement,, one screw into the sill plate is plenty for planes etc.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Sep 2010
1,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
same hardware works well horizontally

The lighter duty single slot faceouts work well too
What size is the Yak? The longest supports I could get from Lowes was 20". I need at least 24" so that the stab will not hit the wall. Did you add an extention to the supports? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by jstyle13
Is it time to go fly again yet
Joined Sep 2013
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I thought about doing that. Is there any concern hanging the plane by the horizontal stabs? Just seems that all the weight of the plane is on thoes two points on the stabs. Thanks!
If you do it right there isn't any issue. You need to use the rubberized insulation and not the lightweight, cheaper foam stuff. I put 2 layers of it for the 50cc plane and 4 layers for the 100cc Extra. You can get layers of 1/2", and then overlap with another layer of 3/4" all secured with zip ties.

To help alleviate some of the weight on the 100cc plane, I drilled a couple of hooks into the studs so I could use a couple of bungees to take some the weight of the stabs by hooking them to the gear. You can vary the tension of the bungees to come up with a length of support/tension that you are happy with. I'd say the bungees take about 20% of the total weight of the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I was a little worried about the clunks, but I've got 4Titude tanks in the big planes and the clunks have never curled, plus they are easy to see when I go to fly, so I never worry about them curling up to the front. If they were the heavy metal clunks, then ya you would probably be right.

With 12ft ceilings in my garage the most efficient use of space for me was vertical. I didn't want to have to get an 8ft ladder out to get my planes up and down. Plus I didn't want to have to take the stabs on and off everytime I took the planes on and off the walls. With the right amount of rubber insulation, there won't be any damage to the plane.

JJ
jstyle13 is offline Find More Posts by jstyle13
Old 03-12-2015, 08:04 AM
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
it's a 50cc, no extension, just the foam

Huumm

I got them at Home Depot I think several years ago,, they used to have 24s, looks like they don't stock them that long any more, they are Rubbermaid "twin track"

Rubbermaid still shows them on their site
http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/P...od_ID=RP091171

20" one would be easy to extend,, seams to me I've done that before by screwing a piece of wood to it,, the PVC pipe trick is easier

good luck
Last edited by scale only 4 me; 03-12-2015 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
I like all the ideas in this thread. I'm moving into a new shop and need a way to stack my 100cc birds.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 03-12-2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by mattlydon
Still can’t fly straight
United States, NY, Tappan
Joined Sep 2006
126 Posts
try resting the plane on it's side, instead of upright - you can usually get closer to the wall, depending on the plane and landing gear.

Also, vertical nose down is better for the motors - lets the oil in the crankcase run into the bearings.

Matt
mattlydon is offline Find More Posts by mattlydon
Last edited by mattlydon; 03-12-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:39 AM
Find More Posts by old nitroman
Joined Mar 2015
851 Posts
My shop is very small, I built a stand for my aw 540 da60cc its a plate 3/4 ply on the floor with 2 pieces of 1by2 with slots cut into each end, plane stands nose down on the gear ( gear slides into the slot) spinner does not touch the ground, the put a Velcro around fuse in front of the tail. the attach to the wall. works great I have a very bad back so getting them from hanging is very hard for me. This pick plane up tail first set down onto slots and Velcro around fuse and done, also great for cleaning plane. also keep 1by 2s close to the fuse not out by the wheel pants. If your worried about the clunk get to the field point plane up and a quick shake done put plane together. Has worked great for me
old nitroman is online now Find More Posts by old nitroman

Quick Reply