logo
Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by lee-h
newcastle england
Joined Apr 2009
234 Posts
Discussion
rolling circles

Does anybody have any advice on how to get these drummed into my head? i know practice practice practice, but is there any hints? maybe a video with stick movements? preferably inside rollers
Many thanks
Lee
lee-h is offline Find More Posts by lee-h
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by Mithrandir
TEAM FUTABA
High Desert California, USA
Joined Jan 2006
8,437 Posts
IMHO, and this is difficult to 'splain... but you need a plane setup with a good "Balanced" feel between the elev and rudder...

hard to describe... but the elev and rudder need to "Feel" like they have similar effectiveness...

I dunno.. not sure I got that right....

also... the Yaw-Pitch and Yaw-Roll coupling must be mixed out.... or the roll rate will increase and decrease as
the rudder switches sides....

oh yeah.. the practice thing.... lot's of that!
Mithrandir is offline Find More Posts by Mithrandir
Old 05-30-2012, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74066
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 05-30-2012, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
IMAC Wannabe
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Apr 2009
1,842 Posts
I shouldn't say anyting cause I can't even fly straight lines yet, but I have asked a lot about them and the guys I talk to (other than the punks who were born with a controller in their hands all have a condition swith for rollers. Like Mith said, it helps to have the rates and mixes set right and then it's just practice- again - from what I am told.
mtndewdewd is offline Find More Posts by mtndewdewd
Old 05-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by Randidly
Righteous 87
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Sep 2009
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee-h View Post
Does anybody have any advice on how to get these drummed into my head? i know practice practice practice, but is there any hints? maybe a video with stick movements? preferably inside rollers
Many thanks
Lee

Get a good Sim, slow the physics way down I'd start around 50% and train your head and fingers to do the movements needed, once mastered there start increasing the physics 5% at a time till you can do them at 125%.

Thanks to Ben Fisher who gave out this tip. I got where I could do them fairly well in no time.
Another 3DHS guy just did this which illustrates the stick movements very well https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=74066

And another 3DHS guy BoneDoc has good video tutorials http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post10259601

Hope these help
Randy
Randidly is offline Find More Posts by Randidly
Old 05-30-2012, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old time pattern dude
Mission B.C. Canada
Joined Feb 2009
1,357 Posts
I learned how to do rollers on the sim, I have a "Real flight" and spent one winter doing nothing but rollers. Next spring I could do them just fine. The sim is great for practicing any rolling maneuver and getting the stick movements drilled into your head. Just my 2 cents...
Henry Piorun is offline Find More Posts by Henry Piorun
Old 05-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Are we talking "rolling harriers" or "rolling circles"?...Two different things.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by FHHuber
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,007 Posts
Rolling circle vs rolling harrier:

The rolling harrier you are continuously rolling the same direction and generally expected to be holding a straight line.

Rolling circle you reverse the roll each 1/4 or 1/8 of the circle (though some just roll one way through the circle) and of course you are not aiming to fly a straight line.
Part of the rolling circle is timing the rolls and planning the circle radius to be upright at each 1/4 circle. (if you are doing it right)

The rolling harrier (or very similar: continuous rolls on a line at speed) would be practice toward the rolling circle.

Practice both left and right hand rolls on a line. Then doing circles each way, rolling both left and right. Then switch the roll direction each time you are upright.
Finally work on the timing and circle size.

Of course judging the maneuver at an IMAA/IMAC contest is a lot easier than doing the maneuver... You don't have to be able to do it yourself in order to be able to see every little error.
FHHuber is offline Find More Posts by FHHuber
Old 05-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by lee-h
newcastle england
Joined Apr 2009
234 Posts
thanks guys, and yess mithrandir, i get what you mean about the ele and the rudd feeling the same, i think if im gunna make a condition for it, ill have a very low aileron rate, ill have a mess about and see whats what. thanks guys
Old 05-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHHuber View Post
Rolling circle vs rolling harrier:

The rolling harrier you are continuously rolling the same direction and generally expected to be holding a straight line.

Rolling circle you reverse the roll each 1/4 or 1/8 of the circle (though some just roll one way through the circle) and of course you are not aiming to fly a straight line.
Part of the rolling circle is timing the rolls and planning the circle radius to be upright at each 1/4 circle. (if you are doing it right)

The rolling harrier (or very similar: continuous rolls on a line at speed) would be practice toward the rolling circle.

Practice both left and right hand rolls on a line. Then doing circles each way, rolling both left and right. Then switch the roll direction each time you are upright.
Finally work on the timing and circle size.

Of course judging the maneuver at an IMAA/IMAC contest is a lot easier than doing the maneuver... You don't have to be able to do it yourself in order to be able to see every little error.
Not quite...

A rolling circle you described correctly. Aileron rolls while the plane travels in a circle basically.

A rolling harrier would be rolling with the nose up in a harrier/post stall configuration. Doesn't matter what direction you are going(line, circle, figure 8, S, etc). Rolling harrier is a rolling harrier.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys, and yess mithrandir, i get what you mean about the ele and the rudd feeling the same, i think if im gunna make a condition for it, ill have a very low aileron rate, ill have a mess about and see whats what. thanks guys
If you are wanting to do a harrier roll(you still haven't specified)...you don't want to lower the aileron rate too much because the higher the nose gets the less effective the ailerons are(its ok to lower them a bit when learning just don't take it too far).

If you are trying to do a rolling circle you can certainly lower the aileron rates to slow the rolls down.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:01 PM
Find More Posts by lee-h
newcastle england
Joined Apr 2009
234 Posts
like i said, rolling circles
Old 05-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
like i said, rolling circles
Thanks for clearing that up.

My advice for circles would be to get very proficient at slow rolls and start learning circles with very flew rolls per circle. Lower aileron rates would help a bunch. I started out trying to do an entire circle with only one roll. I would break up the circle into points so it is like a big slow 4 point roll. This teaches you to steer the plane in all attitudes around the circle. Once you get that down you can try doing 2 rolls per circle and so on. Eventually you won't have to think about it.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
i do rolling circles but i cheat. i only use ailerons and elevator. i can stay level but i cant do them real slow it wont work. i cant seem to get the rudder as of yet
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 05-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Riley O'Brien
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rede2fly View Post
i do rolling circles but i cheat. i only use ailerons and elevator. i can stay level but i cant do them real slow it wont work. i cant seem to get the rudder as of yet
Hmm

Quick Reply