logo
Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
personally, i have never seen any data that would suggest that a lower priced servo or a smaller servo has a higher failure rate than anything else, and I have seen all kinds in applications. in over 20 years of tinkering with these things, and having used a whole bunch of different throttle servos in nitro helis, nitro airplanes, and gas airplanes i haven't seen anything that would lead me to conclude that any one thing is better than another.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Find More Posts by alan49
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Antrim
Joined Jul 2010
27 Posts
What would be considered as a good throttle servo(7.4v) for a 30cc, something that is not going to break the bank.

Alan
alan49 is offline Find More Posts by alan49
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Limitless Aero
Tyler, tx
Joined Oct 2010
1,658 Posts
Probably one of the newer HV hitec standard digital sevos with at lease carbonite gears. But i would prefer metal.
KoleDeRacer is offline Find More Posts by KoleDeRacer
Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Cruzin The "Blood Moon"
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Jan 2008
993 Posts
Quote:
You couldnt pay me to put that servo in my plane....
Why? Any good scientific reason?

I just ordered a Hitec HS-5496MH metal gear servo for my new 37.5% Yak throttle.

The rest of the plane will have JR MP82T HV servos all around.
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Last edited by Barn-E-Stormer; 09-23-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: .
Old 09-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Living the dream
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Oct 2007
6,511 Posts
I've been using the Hitec 5665MH HV servo in several planes now.
Low cost, about $47 now (they dropped the price about $10), metal gears, fast enough for throttle and has plenty of torque. You can run them at 6v or HV. Work like a champ.
Cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by Cryhavoc38
Old 09-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Know God,no fear!
United States, TX, Tyler
Joined Jun 2007
3,681 Posts
Align DS620 or the Savox equivalent,fast,accurate and reliable.
Siko_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Siko_Flyer
Old 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barn-E-Stormer View Post
Why? Any good scientific reason?

I just ordered a Hitec HS-5496MH metal gear servo for my new 37.5% Yak throttle.

The rest of the plane will have JR MP82T HV servos all around.
With the horror stories people have been having, and first hand use... jitters...Hitec couldnt be farther off the radar for me. Former Hitec fan boy...no more
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM
Find More Posts by GiantFlyer1980
United States, MI, Traverse City
Joined Nov 2011
54 Posts
I have used the standard Futaba S3003 in all my gas airplanes with 6V.....pretty much what i have in the servo bucket i will use. It's fast enough for my style of flying. I haven't had any problems yet.....
GiantFlyer1980 is offline Find More Posts by GiantFlyer1980
Old 09-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Find More Posts by rick dazzler
www.taildraggerrc.com
park city, ky
Joined Jan 2006
5,275 Posts
I have had some old japan made JR 2721's for years that keep re-cycling into my throttles on my giants. They never stop.
rick dazzler is offline Find More Posts by rick dazzler
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by rmillerawacs
United States, TN, Cleveland
Joined Mar 2006
37 Posts
I like using hxt900's form Hobby King! haha
rmillerawacs is offline Find More Posts by rmillerawacs
Old 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by shimano
I just wana fly airplanes!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Apr 2012
1,408 Posts
I think it really depends on the carb you are putting the servo to. If you have a pretty stiff spring loaded carb, then you definitely need a quality high torque metal gear servo.

If your a person that likes to unhook the spring load on the carb, then you could get by with a more standard/cheaper servo (like a glow motor), although I would be hesitant to put a servo on throttle with nylon gears, ever.
shimano is offline Find More Posts by shimano
Old 09-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by MattyMatt
CARF-Models Rep USA
United States, NC, Greensboro
Joined Apr 2006
3,710 Posts
I've been using JR 821HV's on my throttle's since they came out 3 years ago, with no issues.

One important thing to be aware of on throttle, is the end points vs trim in your radio setups. I work with a lot of people on their planes, and can tell you that more times than not, the throttle servo is setup wrong, and is binding at idle or full throttle because it is over driven.

Vibration is also a driving factor for throttle, more than torque.
MattyMatt is offline Find More Posts by MattyMatt
Old 09-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Bipe Me
United States, NE, Columbus
Joined Jan 2008
13 Posts
Over the last 9 years I've been flying nothing but 35% and 40% planes. All I have ever used in any of them is a Futaba S3001 with nylon gears, 42 oz/in, 0.22 seconds, for throttle. I read somewhere years ago that they were pretty resistant to vibration so I started using them. I fly about 120 flights a year. I have had 320 flights on one 35%er, all with the same throttle servo. I recently had one start to jitter at the low throttle setting after 125 flights on a DA150.

I guess I figure the shake of the motor is side to side, not towards the servo, so it's not getting hammered by the pushrod.

It saves on battery life by not using a high powered servo. My throttle springs are always dismantled.

It's not a fast servo but I figure as long as it is .0001 faster than my engine is capable of spooling up the prop then why be any faster than that. But I do think I should be changing over to metal gears in the future.
Bipe Me is offline Find More Posts by Bipe Me
Old 09-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by shimano
I just wana fly airplanes!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Apr 2012
1,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipe Me View Post
Over the last 9 years I've been flying nothing but 35% and 40% planes. All I have ever used in any of them is a Futaba S3001 with nylon gears, 42 oz/in, 0.22 seconds, for throttle. I read somewhere years ago that they were pretty resistant to vibration so I started using them. I fly about 120 flights a year. I have had 320 flights on one 35%er, all with the same throttle servo. I recently had one start to jitter at the low throttle setting after 125 flights on a DA150.

I guess I figure the shake of the motor is side to side, not towards the servo, so it's not getting hammered by the pushrod.

It saves on battery life by not using a high powered servo. My throttle springs are always dismantled.

It's not a fast servo but I figure as long as it is .0001 faster than my engine is capable of spooling up the prop then why be any faster than that. But I do think I should be changing over to metal gears in the future.
That, what I highlighted in red above, is why you are able to use that servo for any length of time.

I also have used a futaba standard 3001 on throttle on a DLE 111 for a season. I actually even had HV going through it, or unregulated 7.4 2 cell Lipo, with no issues at all. I would guess somewhere around 100 flights before I lost the plane (unrelated to servo failure). But I also had disconected the spring load to the carb.

The standard servo's can and will work fine, but it all depends on the spring load on the carb. If you remove the spring load, there is no work load on the throttle servo at all, similar to a glow motor.

Spring load varies between carb's make and model's, so the servo needed will also vary.
shimano is offline Find More Posts by shimano

Quick Reply