logo
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by jaihunt
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Feb 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
I've just finished building a new table, does that count?

Had to get something large enough to build the new Hempel 50%'er on
Went to a company near home that makes Laminated benchtops. Got a "reject" (It has a 1" long crack on one corner) that is 32mm thick, 4.2 metres long and 1.2 wide with Melamine all round.
Bought some other timber from bunnings to make the frame to hold it. Total price about $200 for all of it.

To heck with the 50%'er - I think I could land a 747 on it and stil have room for more.
Well anywhere is a good place to start...... Sounds like a bargain steve. Shoulda bought 2 for that price!!!
Now just make sure you make the doorway big enough to get the BH out at the end.
jaihunt is offline Find More Posts by jaihunt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Feb 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1093 View Post
Its all too "top secret" if I show you I'ii have to kill you, bet you Richos building another foam ME109

God im sick of hearing that top secret **** hahahaha!!!!! I heard richo say that he is selling all of his big stuff and getting into foam electric warbirds with orange props... I will certainly miss his poor soul.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Find More Posts by Richo
Reliving the dream!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,088 Posts
Love ME109......hhmmmmmmmm...foam..........plastic props........hmmmmmm
Richo is offline Find More Posts by Richo
Old 09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaihunt View Post
Well anywhere is a good place to start...... Sounds like a bargain steve. Shoulda bought 2 for that price!!!
Now just make sure you make the doorway big enough to get the BH out at the end.
LOL
The shed is 24m x 12m. The roller door on the end is 4.2m wide x 4m high, I think it will be big enough to get the plane out

Worst part about it is - at an expected final weight of about 26 - 27kg, there is nowhere to fly it here and (currently) no giant inspectors here that are prepared to certify a plane that large (the one we do have has already stated he won't)- so it is off to my farm to fly it - outside MAAA territory. That in itself is not a major issue but WHEN it goes in (they pretty much all do eventually so I am a realist) there won't be a field full of people to see it happen and hear that sound - Sorry guys, visitors to the farm are by invitation only.

I do have some smaller stuff on the bench for building too - 50cc and 80cc profiles, 50cc Yak, 116cc Extra - all boring stuff mostly.
aussiesteve is offline Find More Posts by aussiesteve
Old 09-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Feb 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
LOL
The shed is 24m x 12m. The roller door on the end is 4.2m wide x 4m high, I think it will be big enough to get the plane out

Worst part about it is - at an expected final weight of about 26 - 27kg, there is nowhere to fly it here and (currently) no giant inspectors here that are prepared to certify a plane that large (the one we do have has already stated he won't)- so it is off to my farm to fly it - outside MAAA territory. That in itself is not a major issue but WHEN it goes in (they pretty much all do eventually so I am a realist) there won't be a field full of people to see it happen and hear that sound - Sorry guys, visitors to the farm are by invitation only.

I do have some smaller stuff on the bench for building too - 50cc and 80cc profiles, 50cc Yak, 116cc Extra - all boring stuff mostly.

well looks like you have got yourself in a bit of a pickle lol. so there is no more large model inspectors around perth??
Old 09-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Feb 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Love ME109......hhmmmmmmmm...foam..........plastic props........hmmmmmm

yep i do worry about you sometimes
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Yep - only one giant Model Inspector over here and he is not active either. We are working on getting another couple through the ranks but the fields themself also need to be "Authorised" under the MAAA MOP's. There are currently no fields that fit the criteria.

I went into this with my eyes wide open and was aware of it at the time of placing the order. I don't really give a damn about it as I have my own field surrounded by plenty of land so can fly there anyway. I stopped attending such things as IMAC events etc a long time ago (in favor of having fun instead of being harangued about what I should be using) and my son has stopped flying so there really isn't a need to worry too much about the issue from my behalf.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Find More Posts by lee1093
Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia
Joined Dec 2006
547 Posts
Come and live in the Territory mate you can IMAC your arse off with whatever you want!!!!. Open invitation, love to have ya
lee1093 is offline Find More Posts by lee1093
Old 09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Australia, NT, Darwin
Joined Feb 2010
321 Posts
Quote:
Yep - only one giant Model Inspector over here and he is not active either. We are working on getting another couple through the ranks but the fields themself also need to be "Authorised" under the MAAA MOP's. There are currently no fields that fit the criteria.

I went into this with my eyes wide open and was aware of it at the time of placing the order. I don't really give a damn about it as I have my own field surrounded by plenty of land so can fly there anyway. I stopped attending such things as IMAC events etc a long time ago (in favor of having fun instead of being harangued about what I should be using) and my son has stopped flying so there really isn't a need to worry too much about the issue from my behalf.

yes well that is a very good point. Well i hope that someone organises some inspectors over that way soon so that clubs can enjoy watching a proper plane flying around.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Find More Posts by MrFollies
Joined Feb 2010
987 Posts
Quote:
but the fields themself also need to be "Authorised" under the MAAA MOP's. There are currently no fields that fit the criteria.
Is that true? Can you point out where thats stated and what the requirements are?

I could only find this:
Quote:
7.6 Flying Sites for Giant Models
Giant Models cannot be flown at a Club Field unless this has been approved by
the Club.
MrFollies is offline Find More Posts by MrFollies
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Best couple of years of my life (in Aus at least) were between mid 1985 and early 1988 - Single, living in Darwin (Alawa), sharing a house with some of the "waitresses" from a nightclub / skimpy /restaurant complex (Hot Gossip, Rumors, Whispers) and getting pretty well paid to do it. I left because I was enjoying it so much that I had to either leave or stay forever - been tempted to go back many times.

The missing part for the plane being well displayed is finding a Pilot that can really do it justice.

Mr Follies, you are correct, it is a Club authorisation mentioned in the MOP's. There are no fields here that have minuted that - this is simply because nobody has asked them to do so yet because it is irrelevant until the inspctor issue is sorted out. If I was to follow the MOP to the letter of the document, I can't start building in any way until such time as the inspector is appointed. That may or may not happen - either way, "I am alright Jack - I have a farm with RC flying specifically mentioned on my public liability insurance"
Last edited by aussiesteve; 09-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by lee1093
Katherine, Northern Territory, Australia
Joined Dec 2006
547 Posts
Well old mate you would be welcome up here anytime, so far we are GOB free, so FAR
lee1093 is offline Find More Posts by lee1093
Old 09-20-2011, 11:17 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1093 View Post
Well old mate you would be welcome up here anytime, so far we are GOB free, so FAR
Hmmm - Why can I feel a road trip urging me?

GOB's are fun - I have some "Olden day planes" that like to hover and depending on which exhaust - can be loud too. Add some "Reefer Madness" fuel scent and it is guaranteed to give them a good cardio workout (don't ask me how I know this is for sure).
Old 09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Find More Posts by MrFollies
Joined Feb 2010
987 Posts
Quote:
Mr Follies, you are correct, it is a Club authorisation mentioned in the MOP's. There are no fields here that have minuted that - this is simply because nobody has asked them to do so yet because it is irrelevant until the inspctor issue is sorted out. If I was to follow the MOP to the letter of the document, I can't start building in any way until such time as the inspector is appointed. That may or may not happen - either way, "I am alright Jack - I have a farm with RC flying specifically mentioned on my public liability insurance"
Oh that's good. It sounds like it's just a formality then for a club to sign off on.
As for the giant inspector. Hope that gets sorted out for you if only so that you have the freedom to fly at other clubs for fly ins etc.
MrFollies is offline Find More Posts by MrFollies
Old 09-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Clothed Account
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2008
2,366 Posts
We will get the inspector situation sorted out here for sure. I think this is important, especially as the Hempel Importer is located right here in Perth (Perth RC). Mine is the first 50%'er through them and I can see it becoming a larger issue later.
The last hing it needs is a better set of thumbs to guide it and it will be all wrapped up

Quick Reply