logo
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by grassie
South Africa, GP, Centurion
Joined Jan 2008
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick dazzler View Post
Yikes! I started readiong these threads lately and am a little scared. I was one of the guys who switched from futaba fasst to this .. I have had no issues in 3 years what so ever nor has any of our club members.. I will keep my fingers crossed..
Nothing to be scared of!! Just don't go fixin' something that aint broke!!!
grassie is offline Find More Posts by grassie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-27-2011, 11:27 PM
Find More Posts by MUGUREL
Joined Feb 2009
14 Posts
Another crash in Brazil

Hi,
today a knew that another crash with A9 and new versions.
http://www.e-voo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=120367
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1506908
MUGUREL is offline Find More Posts by MUGUREL
Old 10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Feb 2010
659 Posts
here is a good article
http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...he-discussion/
2.4ghz is offline Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
Old 10-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
So you fly toy planes??
United States, MS, Carson
Joined Dec 2010
1,183 Posts
Great reading. Maybe 2.4 aint so bullet proof. I know for a fact that we have saw interference using JR radios in a certain location. One of the places we fly is over a natural gas pipeline. When you go over a certain spot the plane will make abrupt moves on its on, even a couple of time totally loosing link. It has been noticed with 72mhz also. I know there is a box located on the pipeline that has something to do with a charge sent down it for electrolysis. If you walk over the pipeline with a compass it will go crazy. I dont know how it works but it most def interferes with TX and RXs.
YAKMAN76 is offline Find More Posts by YAKMAN76
Old 10-28-2011, 10:10 AM
Joined Feb 2009
14 Posts
Yes it is interesting, but I flew for two summers in the same place, always the same, without any problem, and after the software upgrade I lost three models, all flying in a straight line. I am not a beginner, fly R / C of almost 10 years and I never lost a model when I flew in a straight line.

Regards
Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Find More Posts by oldrookie
Joined Apr 2008
95 Posts
After crashing with the same receiver 3 times, I think I would be trying another receiver.

Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUGUREL View Post
oldrookie is offline Find More Posts by oldrookie
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 PM
Find More Posts by rede2fly
GRAVITY SUCKS
florida
Joined Jan 2006
4,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAKMAN76 View Post
When they get it resolved they sure will be hurting alot of Futaba and Jr feelings once again....

nope not at all. it will just mean we can get out of the cars when the hitec radios take to the air
rede2fly is offline Find More Posts by rede2fly
Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
United States, MA, Burlington
Joined Nov 2009
452 Posts
I am looking for an Optima 9 receiver.. Anybody here selling one?
Devil_Inside is offline Find More Posts by Devil_Inside
Old 10-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Joined Feb 2009
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrookie View Post
After crashing with the same receiver 3 times, I think I would be trying another receiver.

Greg
I use 2 receivers Optima 7 in 3 times.

Regards
Mugurel
Old 10-29-2011, 12:18 AM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4ghz View Post
As an engineer, I find this article painful. There is little that is actually wrong, but much that is not completely correct, or is misleading.

The best and easiest examples of what is wrong come in the section on latency. He is right about human latency of 200 msec being dominant for all 2.4 GHz systems. The comments about the speed of light are correct, but irrelevant. He doesn't even mention things which do affect the radio systems latency, such as channel bandwidth, frame rate and processor loop times.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Hey all....
I just wanted to tell you great Hitec service is...
I burned my board on my A9 when I mistakingly soldered the lipo adapter reverse polarity...

within 1-week Hitec fixed it, and sent it back...
They didn't charge me ANYTHING....
I even admitted it was my fault!....
I had the radio for a year... But have only flown planes 2 times with it...

When I sent them my Futaba 9cap, and told them the reason my front case was messed up, due to the fake brass metal flaking off... (since day one) they charged me for everything.....160$ later.....And I will get it back.... good as new! Probly could have purchased a used/newone for that...///

Anyway.... I am not sue if I want to purchase the futaba 18mz now...'
I love my hitec A9, as no issues... I just wanted more channels...
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Last edited by Jkoch713; 10-29-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Feb 2010
659 Posts
I am not an engineer and it scared the he>< out of me.
2.4ghz is offline Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 AM
Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Hermit
Joined Jan 2008
1,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinaWOW View Post
As an engineer, I find this article painful. There is little that is actually wrong, but much that is not completely correct, or is misleading.

The best and easiest examples of what is wrong come in the section on latency. He is right about human latency of 200 msec being dominant for all 2.4 GHz systems. The comments about the speed of light are correct, but irrelevant. He doesn't even mention things which do affect the radio systems latency, such as channel bandwidth, frame rate and processor loop times.
There are MANY types of Engineers...what kind are you?
Jkoch713 is offline Find More Posts by Jkoch713
Last edited by Jkoch713; 10-29-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:51 AM
Find More Posts by skyrock
Joined Dec 2009
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatalinaWOW View Post

Well, holding personally a master degree and a PhD in engineering I would say latency is not the substantial point of Dave Horvath's message.

And btw it is not so easy to give a description of something being relatively complex so that every dummy can understand it. But it is the essence of communication that everybody can understand the message.
Think, Dave has done a great job to convey his message.

Juergen
skyrock is offline Find More Posts by skyrock
Old 10-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
OK, I'll fess up. Electrical engineer. Too much time with Plonsey and Collins and Ramo, Whinnery and Van Duzer. 40 years of hobby and industrial experience with frequencies from a couple of MHz up through and including ultraviolet light.

More examples of my issues with the article.

Yes, 2.4 GHz is more lightlike than 72MHz, as it is 30 times higher in frequency. But light is 100,000 times higher in frequency than 2.4 GHz, so the two RC frequencies are really pretty close neighbors. When I was a puppy engineer it was common to treat 2.4 GHz differently than "real" radio because components to do "real" radio things like amplifiers, superhetodyne conversion and so on were at best research items. Nowdays the components are cheap and widely available, while "real" radio things are starting to be done at near optical and even optical frequencies. This wide availability (along with relatively low regulatory controls on this band) is why 2.4 GHz RC exists, along with routers, Blue Tooth, Zigbee, telephones and all the other things that are increasing the base noise in this band.

Yes, 2.4 GHz penetrates foliage less well than 72 MHz. Both do better than my Mark I eyeball. If you are flying behind trees and buildings you have higher priority problems than selection of RF band. The smaller antennas of 2.4 GHz are easier to mask with aircraft structure, but the flip side of that is that it is easier to place them away from masking and interfering elements.

I haven't come up a simple way of explaining my thoughts on reflections and Fresnel zone comments. Suffice it to say that I could use the same physics and come up with reasons to question why you would ever select a lower frequency. A short start is that reflections can be either specular or diffuse. Specular is the sun shining off a still body of water. Diffuse is the sun shining off a cornfield or other rough surface. Obviously there can be mixes. Reflections tend to be specular when the surface has roughness or variations that are small with respect to the wavelength of the light in question. So 2.4 GHz will be roughly 30 times less likely to see specular reflection than 72 Mhz. Is that good? Depends. Too many factors for easy analysis.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW

Quick Reply