Old 08-10-2007, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by Berwyn Bill
That happens to be MY monkey.
Berwyn, IL
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts
Airwild 29% Extra 260, SD Models 30% Yak or WH 28% Extra 300

Hey guys,

I have a 50cc motor and am gathering parts for a gasser and am trying to decide on an airframe. I'm planning to use it for getting into IMAC but I know it will see more use as a 3D hucking platform.

I've narrowed it down to three that I like the looks of and have seen good vid of: the Airwild 29% Extra 260, SD Models 30% Yak or the WH 28% Extra 300. I've hear great reports of the AW's performance and ultra low weight but haven't heard of a lot of people flying them. I've flown a SD Yak and liked it. They seem very popular but honestly, I'm about burnt out on the whole "Yak" thing. I've gotten to fly a WH 28% Extra and liked it but they're out of stock for the time being.

So if you were looking for a 50cc bird to primarily get funky with but also to work on sequences with, what out of these three would be your choice and why? Thanks,

Bill
Berwyn Bill is offline Find More Posts by Berwyn Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts
Re: Airwild 29% Extra 260, SD Models 30% Yak or WH 28% Extra 300

Airwild 260 man. NO contest.
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 08-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
"GIT ER DONE"
Gainesville,Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,323 Posts

WH 28% Extra No contest !!

I flew one for about a year. AWESOME plane.
Shaun
Redneck Shaun is offline Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by LawnJockey
cuttin the grass with balsa
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jan 2006
1,490 Posts

I second the WH Extra or Edge. Awesome flying planes and excellent customer service. I flew the Extra 300LX. Excellent for IMAC.

Bruce
LawnJockey is online now Find More Posts by LawnJockey
Old 08-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Find More Posts by rpmrpm
United States, TX, Rosenberg
Joined Jan 2006
198 Posts

I have built all of the planes you are considering, so my info is more airframe based then flight based.
The Airwild is amazing and it would be me first choice for 3D, but I would not choose it for a "getting it to gas" modeler. It is very light and has proven strong in the air, but as a light built plane it is not one you want to take threw the rough abuse of learning gas. Being so light it would be my last choice for IMAC the wind really has its way with it.(but you could install a ballast weight for windy days) I also found the efp control horns a pain to install. They have a sale going and you get the free $75 hardware pack.
The SD Yak or the SD 260 threw Troybuiltmodels.com in the HP version is a great deal and just a good solid plane. The old Yak's came out a little heavy but you get more wing area. I think the newer HP versions are a little lighter. They come with, for the most part, very usable hardware.
A WildHare is always a good choice, they fly straight and hold up well to seasons of flight. But you sometimes have to catch them in stock.
Hope some of that helps.
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

I disagree. My buddy's flying an Airwild 260 in the Intermediate category and is dominating (1st place) with it against other 40% aircraft like comp-arfs or daltons. Snaps beautifully.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by adrian
Israel, Tel Aviv
Joined Jan 2006
2,931 Posts

im on the SD side of the fence - they are proven fliers - the yak is flown by many - now the others are as good too for sure!!!! but you need to choose what is best for you and the service you will get - TBM has over many years proved to be a supplier of note!!
adrian is offline Find More Posts by adrian
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by king160woody
3D low n' slow!!
United States, AZ, Avondale
Joined Jan 2006
917 Posts

Does anyone have any experience with PAU's extra 330? It looks promising with a good hardware package and all carbon fiber parts.

www.performancercaircraft.com
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
"GIT ER DONE"
Gainesville,Texas
Joined Jan 2006
1,323 Posts

Quote:
but you need to choose what is best for you and the service you will get - TBM has over many years proved to be a supplier of note!!
A very good point, Adrain. A great product is one reason I went with Tom at wild Hare a few years ago. I flew the first style 28% 300 extra and loved the plane.
Then He came out with the newer version to the extra. Both are superperb planes but I liked the newer version better.

His unmatched customer service is what has keeped me coming back to him for YEARS .
He's based about 45 minutes south of me here in Texas. If I ever have a problem he has bent over backwards to help me.
Oh, by the way, The reason I'm not flying the 28% extra right now is because I sold it and am almost finished with a 41% Wild Hare extra .
Another awesome Wild Hare plane!!!
I've had great customer service with TBM.
I've had far above and beyond from Wild Hare.
It's nice to have such a choice. The bottom line is that you'll probably be satisfied with either plane/customer service.
Nice problem for us modelers to have.........

Shaun
Redneck Shaun is offline Find More Posts by Redneck Shaun
Old 08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Berwyn, IL
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts

Thanks for the info and opinions. I've had very good dealings with TBM and WH before and heard nothing but good things about AirWild's customer service. It's something I factored in when narrowing down my choices. You're right Shaun, it's a nice "problem" to have!!

I figured it would be a pretty even poll. I wish I knew of someone with an AW Extra around Chicago that I could give a go.
Old 08-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by BILL BRIGGS
SUN CITY CALIFORNIA
Joined Jan 2006
10 Posts

I HAVE FLOWN 3 AIRWILD EXTRA 330'S REAL FINE MACHINE IF I DIDN'T HAVE DUMB THUMBS I WOULD BE FLYING RIGHT NOW AWSOMMMME MACHINE. FOR THE MONEY AND BELIEVE ME THE 260 FLIES AS WELL. NO JOKE. SOON AS I GET BACK HERE FROM BOSTON I WILL BE RIGHT BACK DOWN LAGUNA TO PICK UP MY NEXT MACHINE.
BILL BRIGGS is offline Find More Posts by BILL BRIGGS
Old 08-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by harv
it wont go any lower
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Feb 2006
2,920 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by king160woody View Post
Does anyone have any experience with PAU's extra 330? It looks promising with a good hardware package and all carbon fiber parts.

www.performancercaircraft.com
theres only one person to ask on that question( ken-h). he put that plane through its paces.

harv
harv is offline Find More Posts by harv
Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Berwyn, IL
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts

Thanks for the votes and replies everybody.

I'm leaning towards the Airwild 260 but the SD Yak is still in the running. This is in no way a judgement on the WH Extra, just a personal choice. Hell, I wish I could have all three!!

Seems most of the AW 260s are coming out at about 14.9# with my set-up which would be a WL of about 25oz/ft. Simply put, that's light!!! I can see why it's getting raves. I do have a worry about hanger rash and durability but they seem to be holding up pretty well to some hard flying by the vids I've seen.

The SD Yaks WL seem to be falling around 27oz/ft or so if I average the weights I seem to be seeing around. With so CF options that could be brought down to about 26oz/ft fairly easily. That's definitely a nice WL for a plane like the Yak. The selection of schemes (esp when TBM gets the Sept. shipment in) and availability of parts is also a plus.

It's certainly not a deal breaker, but that odd colored cowl on the AW260 is a bummer. Anybody with one want to give me an honest assesment of how off it is??

I doubt I'll be disappointed either way but this is a tough call.
Last edited by Berwyn Bill; 08-15-2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

I think my buddy's AW 260 looks pretty good. Didn't even know there was a color mismatch...
Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Berwyn, IL
Joined Jan 2006
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic3D View Post
I think my buddy's AW 260 looks pretty good. Didn't even know there was a color mismatch...
Thanks Victor. Good to hear. It's been mentioned in a number of online threads that the cowl color and the front deck color don't match up. Close but not quite. Sort of a blue vs purple. I can notice it in the vid on the AW website and in a few pics I've seen. I know it has nothing to do with the planes capabilities but I tend to zero in on stuff like that so I want to make up my mind it ain't gonna bug me. From flight reports, I probably won't notice any cosmetic flaws after I fly it!

Jeff Szueber, Jr from AW emailed me to answer a couple of questions and gave me his # if I have more.

Anyone have any reports on the AW 260s extended durability? There should be a few flying since last fall or so.

Quick Reply