logo
Old 05-07-2014, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by honzas
Czech republic
Joined Oct 2006
23 Posts
Hi Hilde,
I have very few flights on it, since the weather here in CZ is bad lately. I still like it. Probably would not be my choice if I was to buy "real" 3D or aerobatics (in fact I have 88' Extra shipped), but as a fun plane of first larger or first gasser Skywolf works fine for me. I will make new video soon with more fun and 3D stuff. Hope it will help you to decide.

By the way, this really is my first gasser, after about 14 years in this hobby and 10 of flying indoor aerobatic competitions I have flown few at demo pilot or maiden flights with friends planes, but never had to build one. I still prefer electric over gassers, but it was not difficult to build this one with some advices from more experienced pilots.

Jan
honzas is offline Find More Posts by honzas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by Hilde
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
I purchased a Sky-wolf and should have it in the air in a couple of weeks. I like what I see in the box and can't wait to fly it. It looks like it'll be a good all around and fun aerobatic plane. I think I'm going to add some 6" inflatable tires and turn it into a bush plane aka big foot.

Hilde
Hilde is offline Find More Posts by Hilde
Old 05-23-2014, 07:08 AM
Find More Posts by Hilde
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
I'm also going electric because it's the only thing I fly.

Hilde
Old 05-24-2014, 11:44 AM
Czech republic
Joined Oct 2006
23 Posts
Hi Hilde,
What electric setup do you have in mind for Skywolf?

Thinking about rebuilding mine into electric in the future.

Jan
Old 05-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Hilde
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
I'm using 2x 5S 5300's wired in series for 10S, and a Tacon Big Foot 160 motor on a 20x10 prop. I've used this setup on a couple of other planes and it's about a 40cc gas equivalent.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by acs_guitars
Guru/Mechanic Extraordinaire
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2013
221 Posts
Hilde's SkyWolf is ready to maiden tomorrow as long as the rain holds off. The build was straight forward, but there's no manual from what I could find online. Everything lined up as it should and it's the typical great quality I have seen in other Pilot RC kits. The 10s setup balances easily with plenty of room to move the packs around to fine tune the CG. My only complaint for the E-setup is the front hatch is not held in place by magnets, it uses a single bolt. Can't wait to see how it flies.
acs_guitars is offline Find More Posts by acs_guitars
Old 06-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Czech republic
Joined Oct 2006
23 Posts
Nice wheels acs! good luck with maiden flight!

I had another dead stick two days ago, from high alpha harrier flight to the ground... lets say it was drop test for testing purposes One small crack on LG, tip of propeller blade scratched, and some damage on one wheel. Rest of the plane is ok. Not bad from 1-1,5m drop :-)

Anyway, we had local rc fly in yesterday, friends took care of the engine, hopefully now it will run better (and more reliably). I'm not really fan of small gas engines, i should have made mine electric for sure! (it's never too late to rebuild, right? )

Jan
Old 06-08-2014, 03:52 PM
Joined Dec 2013
221 Posts
The maiden went great and we had perfect weather to dial it in. I did 3 flights and helped Hilde dial in the CG and control throws and then handed it over to him. The SkyWolf flies great, as expected, and is lots of fun in the air. The Tacon Bigfoot 160 motor on 10s hauls it around nicely using a 19x8 Xoar prop. It hovers just over half throttle, though pullout is sluggish. The CG ended up just forward of the wing tube and has just a slight drop of the nose doing the 45 degree CG test. All-in-all and excellent flying air frame.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by clivem
South Africa, KZN, Pietermaritzburg
Joined Nov 2009
1,012 Posts
well seeing as 3DHS dont reply to any of my mails and i can buy this Pilot plane - guess which one i'll be buying.

anyone got any '3d' videos of this thing
clivem is offline Find More Posts by clivem
Old 06-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Joined Dec 2013
221 Posts
I haven't seen much video of this out there. I can confidently tell you it will do everything the BF will do though. Next time I am out flying w/ Hilde I'll try to get some video.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 AM
Czech republic
Joined Oct 2006
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem View Post
well seeing as 3DHS dont reply to any of my mails and i can buy this Pilot plane - guess which one i'll be buying.

anyone got any '3d' videos of this thing
Not yet... hope to make one video soon!

Jan
Old 06-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by Hilde
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jan 2007
6 Posts
Had some fun with the Sky-wolf today, it's definitely a hit at my club.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by spacefanmick
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
I picked up the Wolf at Nall,and this is my first gasser. There were no instructions,I've been building for 40 years so not a huge deal. But the fiberglass control horns I'm not really sure about. Which one goes where,and exactly how they attach. And type of motor mount. I'll be using a DA35. Any help would be great. Thanks.
spacefanmick is offline Find More Posts by spacefanmick
Old 06-22-2014, 02:30 PM
Joined Dec 2013
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefanmick View Post
I picked up the Wolf at Nall,and this is my first gasser. There were no instructions,I've been building for 40 years so not a huge deal. But the fiberglass control horns I'm not really sure about. Which one goes where,and exactly how they attach. And type of motor mount. I'll be using a DA35. Any help would be great. Thanks.
I am not sure why there has still been no manual posted....

The setup uses double control horns, all of them are the same and interchangeable except the rudder, which is also a dual horn but a pull-pull style horn. The part that is installed in the control surface should be sanded to add a little tooth for gluing and can be glued using CA or Epoxy. For the engine: The firewall comes in the kit not yet glued in place. You can use the standoffs included with your engine and position the firewall as far back as needed in the motor box to get the proper spinner fit. You will need to make certain the firewall is placed an equal distance back on all 4 corners of the motor box or you could end up with some thrust angle issues.
I hope this is good help for you.... I don't have pics of the build for this one as I built it for a friend and was not one of my usually well-documented magazine article builds.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by spacefanmick
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Apr 2014
7 Posts
Thanks acs,I just don't quite understand where each control horn goes where. Some are round some are square. And I've never built anything this big,ever. ( well there was that 10' Bud nosen Champ,uh yeh,wow))
But if I could h
Get a few shotsof some angles around the tail. And the pull pull inside. The rest I got covered. Thanks
spacefanmick is offline Find More Posts by spacefanmick

Quick Reply