Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 AM
Find More Posts by guldukat
Joined Apr 2015
1 Posts
I wanted to get some opinions on my latest build:

EX Edge 88"
Rotomax 50CC at 6000W
12S 5000mah
160a Aerostar ESC (I have this on my Trex 700)
3000mah 2s Lipo for receiver
5X BMS-28A (I have this on my Trex 700) running on 2s

Has anyone experimented with taking out some plywood/balsa on the edge to make it lighter?

I tested the Rotomax and it was at 115F after 6000W for 1 min full throttle. The Aerostar was 108F.
guldukat is offline Find More Posts by guldukat
Last edited by guldukat; 04-17-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:00 PM
Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Just Do It
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Apr 2008
1,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewooster View Post
Always follow the 3:1 ratio (3x the vent) and you'll stay out of trouble...
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJunk
I'd rather be out flying.
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
468 Posts
Some recent pics...you will be able to see my cowl openings.
3DJunk is offline Find More Posts by 3DJunk
Old 04-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
468 Posts
A recent video...I had some issues with my DA 60, so I was a bit cautious. Although it works very nicely with the Falcon 24x9 , some times when I throttle back from top end to idle on the ground not during flight, the engine is killed. I use a veocity stack and a high speed throttle servo. Do you think that this might be the cause or tuning? I use Redline 40:1.

Extreme Flight Edge 540 88'' Falcon 24x9...
Old 04-18-2015, 09:12 AM
Find More Posts by bernie flyer
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Hey,
Quote:
Some recent pics...you will be able to see my cowl openings.
@3dJunk--> Thanks for the great pics. Your openings are looking smoothly. Reliably engine-run, no heating problem?
You enjoy the SFGs - it looks like 3d-style is your passion...
Did you sealed the gap between aileron and wing to improve harrier characteristics? Is this necessary? I can remember, you had the EF Extra 91" too. Do you fly both?

Quote:
Has anyone experimented with taking out some plywood/balsa on the edge to make it lighter?
I read months ago in a magazine, that one guy grinded out the cowl of a EF Extra with a flap wheel. So he lightened the cowl for about 0,22lb (100gr).
Furthermore you can save weight by using lighter wheels, a carbon fibre landing gear and a receiver battery 2s 1800mAh (enough for 4 flights). IMO the current EF Edges are not especially light (mine was produced in November 2014). Mine have got a weight of 11,4lb (5,2kg) - only all parts. I try, not to get over 18,3 - 18,5lb (8,3 - 8,4kg).This is my ambition. The weight of pilot and the SFGs are additional 0,44 lb (200gr) . I hope the more weight dont make the Edge lazy....

Best regards, bernie
bernie flyer is offline Find More Posts by bernie flyer
Old 04-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie flyer View Post
Hey,
@3dJunk--> Thanks for the great pics. Your openings are looking smoothly. Reliably engine-run, no heating problem?
You enjoy the SFGs - it looks like 3d-style is your passion...
Did you sealed the gap between aileron and wing to improve harrier characteristics? Is this necessary? I can remember, you had the EF Extra 91" too. Do you fly both?

Best regards, bernie
Hey Bernie,

I have not opened any holes on the cowl, because the air is passing through the pipe tunnel. The whole configuration acts as a baffle and cools the engine a lot. So no heating issues.

I am fan and spotter of aerobatics of any kind, so I fly models some times. Originally I am an F3A/pattern pilot so I try to keep my plane in a box.

The SFGs are a must for me even if I lose some roll rate, they really work in precision and integrated rolls. Every hinge line is sealed with clear tape not oracover, but it works. It will make your surfaces stronger and will avoid possible surface flutter.

My weight is close to 8,3Kg and flies very light. This is the best 50-60cc model I have flown. The 91'' Extra was sold, this model for sure needed a 70cc motor that I did not have. The DA 60 with muffler on the EF Edge 88'' is the optimum combo for me.

Kind regards,
Nikos
Old 04-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
Hey Nicos,
Quote:
I have not opened any holes on the cowl, because the air is passing through the pipe tunnel. The whole configuration acts as a baffle and cools the engine a lot. So no heating issues.
You have a muffler; I assume, the air is the same way passing, if I have a tune pipe in the tunnel, which fills much of space.
I have the EF Edge 60" too and I always fly her with SFGs. I think, there are more advantages than disadvantages. One disadvantage is maybe more sensibility for wind.
Do you think, the center of gravity goes rather to tail, if I use the pilot dummy. I like it very well, but the weight of this is about 0,27lb (126gr).
Im looking forward, to fly mine

Best regards, bernie
Old 04-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Greece
Joined Feb 2006
468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie flyer View Post
Hey Nicos,
You have a muffler; I assume, the air is the same way passing, if I have a tune pipe in the tunnel, which fills much of space.
I have the EF Edge 60" too and I always fly her with SFGs. I think, there are more advantages than disadvantages. One disadvantage is maybe more sensibility for wind.
Do you think, the center of gravity goes rather to tail, if I use the pilot dummy. I like it very well, but the weight of this is about 0,27lb (126gr).
Im looking forward, to fly mine

Best regards, bernie
Even if you use a pipe it will work like that, no heat up. Jase has done the same with great results, if it worked for him will work for you too. If you do not place the Rx batteries on the motor box, the model will come tail heavy specially with a pipe. So try to place your hardware as much forward as possible. This is the main reason I have not used a pilot yet. My model is slightly tail heavy because my packs are rearwards in order to inspect them.

It is a nice model, you will like it. All my EFs I fly them with SFGs, lately I got Laser 60'' and has huge rudder yaw authority but this one rolls like crazy even with the SFGs..

See you,
N
Old 04-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2010
13 Posts
A little comparison of my EF beauties...
IMO the contour of the fuse of the Edge is realy Edge 540 T -like