logo
Old 05-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by Tomy
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
Extra 330S GP 27% with Smoke Pump?

Hi all. My name is Tomás, i'm 15 and i'm from Argentina.

I've bought an Extra 330S 27% by Great Planes, the red/yellow one. Today i bought the DA50R for it, but i have to buy a muffler, and my question was,

- Should i buy the Slimline with smoke system?

Because is a small plane, and i dont know where to put the smoke system (Sullivan Skywritter and smoke fluid).

- Anyone of you have ever done this before?

Thank you very much. Regards, Tomás
Tomy is offline Find More Posts by Tomy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Find More Posts by flygilmore
Virginia
Joined May 2007
352 Posts
I would not put a smoke system in a plane such as this. It is allready smaller than the leading edge "50cc ers" with quite a bit less wing area and all you are going to do is weigh it down and make a marginal plane fly worse. For comparision, other manufacturers with 78" span planes are coming in much less weight wise and are defining them as 30cc planes. Your best bet was to have gone with a "true" 50cc subject but since you have allready gotten the plane, your best bet is to keep it as light as possible!!!!
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old 05-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by Tomy
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
Thank you Flygilmore. That was the comment that i needed. No smoke in a plane like this. Thread closed.
Tomy is offline Find More Posts by Tomy
Old 05-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
I would not put a smoke system in a plane such as this. It is allready smaller than the leading edge "50cc ers" with quite a bit less wing area and all you are going to do is weigh it down and make a marginal plane fly worse. For comparision, other manufacturers with 78" span planes are coming in much less weight wise and are defining them as 30cc planes. Your best bet was to have gone with a "true" 50cc subject but since you have allready gotten the plane, your best bet is to keep it as light as possible!!!!

Dude calling this plane marginal is so way off base,, you for sure have never flown one,, I have one with a DA50 as a matter of fact and it flys awesome, doesn't fly heavy at all, it could easily take a small smoke system and still fly great.
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
Old 05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by flygilmore
Virginia
Joined May 2007
352 Posts
I guess if you have not flown "better" then of course it will seem fine as is.....common sense really. By marginal, I meant size and wing area. The plane has what, 1100 some odd squares and the ones I have seen in person are coming in 15-16.5lbs. without smoke-go figure.
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by husker
Riley O'Brien
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2008
2,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Dude calling this plane marginal is so way off base,, you for sure have never flown one,, I have one with a DA50 as a matter of fact and it flys awesome, doesn't fly heavy at all, it could easily take a small smoke system and still fly great.
I have flown it. I disagree completely. It's too heavy for its size. If you want to do circle flying with smoke go ahead. For any sort of aerobatics I'd stay away from smoke.
husker is offline Find More Posts by husker
Old 05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by scale only 4 me
It's Hooty Tooty Here?
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flygilmore View Post
I guess if you have not flown "better" then of course it will seem fine as is.....common sense really. By marginal, I meant size and wing area. The plane has what, 1100 some odd squares and the ones I have seen in person are coming in 15-16.5lbs. without smoke-go figure.
Mine is 15.5 lbs dry The manual says 1209 sq. in. that's 29.2 oz/sq.ft. only about 1oz heavier than if you calculate the Pilot 88" extra 330.. at 28.3 Not much of a differenance really.

I guess it comes down to what you're capable of handling,, some guys should keep to the lighter wingloading airframes,, that's for sure true.
scale only 4 me is offline Find More Posts by scale only 4 me

Quick Reply