jasonflier is offline Find More Posts by jasonflier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 03:22 PM
Find More Posts by Gus155
Kommetjie Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
976 Posts
Re: Giants From South Africa

hope the weather holds out. need to make some noise mmmmm.
get a 260 thing going.
Gus155 is offline Find More Posts by Gus155
Old 08-08-2007, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by flight_stick
Bad-ASS Pit Mechanic
Mother City, South Africa
Joined Dec 2006
1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus155 View Post
hope the weather holds out. need to make some noise mmmmm.
get a 260 thing going.

Guss, don't you think its time to take the next step. Get rid of that glo thinky
flight_stick is offline Find More Posts by flight_stick
Old 08-08-2007, 01:13 AM
Find More Posts by cyberchild
London, UK
Joined Apr 2006
180 Posts

hey guys

really thought hard about it, and decided im making built-up wings, i've got the foam, but the process takes to long, maybe do the foam wings later.
cyberchild is offline Find More Posts by cyberchild
Old 08-08-2007, 01:38 AM
Bad-ASS Pit Mechanic
Joined Dec 2006
1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberchild View Post
hey guys

really thought hard about it, and decided im making built-up wings, i've got the foam, but the process takes to long, maybe do the foam wings later.

Once you have the cores tiaan, it's just a matter of installing leading and trailing edges, sheeting,,, main work done. Think you have more chance of messing things up and wasting time doing build up wings. Only advantage i can see from doing build up wings is weight saving.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by saflyer
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
915 Posts

Quote:
hey guys

Tiaan did you read the Extra build thread here in FG? its the best I've ever seen.

Here is the link to it.
https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...tra-300-a.html

Read the whole thread. You will be amazed what you'll learn.

Peter
saflyer is offline Find More Posts by saflyer
Old 08-08-2007, 01:48 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_stick View Post
Once you have the cores tiaan, it's just a matter of installing leading and trailing edges, sheeting,,, main work done. Think you have more chance of messing things up and wasting time doing build up wings. Only advantage i can see from doing build up wings is weight saving.
And if you are not very careful the weight saving is Nil and you have a wing that does not handle the load.

The foam is strong and it can handle the load quickly. If you have a laser cutter or a router and you get the spars and other things cut with interlocking tabs then go for a builtup wing otherwise I would suggest foam.

The only problem with foam is getting that wing tube hole in the correct position. You will have to build a nice jig for that.

Peter
Old 08-08-2007, 01:53 AM
Bad-ASS Pit Mechanic
Joined Dec 2006
1,265 Posts

Guys,

Just a quick note on this trip to Namibia. I have heard that you guys are intending to drive through the night making one long hall through to the fly-in. Just like to say that whoever is planning something like this is a few cents short of a fulldeck. I would strongly discourage this. Infact if this is how this trip is going to be planned then my wife and son will withdraw. I think arriving Safe and in one piece is more important. Rather leave earlier than later and make it safely. You guys don't seem to realise that you looking at a 23hr drive. I think you should leave in the morning, cross the boarder and then bunk down for the night.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_stick View Post
Guys,

Just a quick note on this trip to Namibia. I have heard that you guys are intending to drive through the night making one long hall through to the fly-in. Just like to say that whoever is planning something like this is a few cents short of a fulldeck. I would strongly discourage this. Infact if this is how this trip is going to be planned then my wife and son will withdraw. I think arriving Safe and in one piece is more important. Rather leave earlier than later and make it safely. You guys don't seem to realise that you looking at a 23hr drive. I think you should leave in the morning, cross the boarder and then bunk down for the night.
So true. Guys you have trailer on the back so you can't drive over 100 anyway, its against the law. There are lots of trucks on the road. So either leave real early in the morning and just drive to Windhoek and then the next day drive on, or leave a bit later in the day, drive to the Ketmanshoop and sleep there. Windhoek is 1400km so will take you about 16 hours with stops and the border.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Bad-ASS Pit Mechanic
Joined Dec 2006
1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saflyer View Post
So true. Guys you have trailer on the back so you can't drive over 100 anyway, its against the law. There are lots of trucks on the road. So either leave real early in the morning and just drive to Windhoek and then the next day drive on, or leave a bit later in the day, drive to the Ketmanshoop and sleep there. Windhoek is 1400km so will take you about 16 hours with stops and the border.
Peter, Thanks. I have spent many hrs on the road doing long distance driving etc. Max time should be no more that 10 hrs with stops every 2. Lack of concentration , fatique are major causes of accidents etc. Anyway hopefully they will take our advise.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Find More Posts by driesbabe
Namibia
Joined Jun 2006
652 Posts

Good morning guys,

I must say that I was surprised when the guys suggested driving through the night. I have made the trip to CT about 30 times, not only as a student, but also for work. It's a long way, especially when towing a Trailer. What are the options?
You wanted to leave in the evening of the 23rd, and arrive here on the 23rd in the afternoon. Am I right?
The better option would be, to leave very early on the 23rd (about 3 in the morning, after going to bed very early) and drive up until Keetmanshoop about 900Km from CT, you should be able to make that by about 5 in the afternoon. Then again leave very early there on the 24th and be in Windhoek by about 7h30 to 8h00. I can arrange a healthy brunch at my house and we will be in Karibib and flying by lunch on Friday.

Please also bear in mind: We have a different time to South Africa, we are one hour behind, meaning if its 8h00 in CT it is only 7h00 here. Meaning that it gets Dark an hour later here, but its light (almost, or shortly after) by 5h30 in the morning.

You will have to let me know, as I have to book some accommodation for you wherever in the south of the country, and cancel the Room that I have booked in Windhoek.
driesbabe is offline Find More Posts by driesbabe
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 AM
Find More Posts by damien
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

I agree, originally the plan was to share driving between four of us in my car with three hour shifts each but that was before we had a second vehicle coming.
I think driving to Keetmanshoop is the best way to go. We can leave CT thursday morning and sleep in keetmanshoop, we used to stay at a camp site there when we did the trip to the windhoek show (we used to go every year). If I remember correctly they had some rooms there, we could hire one and set up a tent as well.
damien is offline Find More Posts by damien
Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Find More Posts by cyberchild
London, UK
Joined Apr 2006
180 Posts

Well we dont really have a choice seeing that the persons with the cars agreed on that. All ill suggest is then leaving wednesday morning, otherwise, we are gona arrive late at karribib on friday, with not much flying, we will only have saturday bcoz sunday, we have to leave early again.
cyberchild is offline Find More Posts by cyberchild
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by damien
In Thrust We Trust
Cape Town South Africa
Joined Jan 2006
367 Posts

Quote:
Well we dont really have a choice seeing that the persons with the cars agreed on that. All ill suggest is then leaving wednesday morning, otherwise, we are gona arrive late at karribib on friday, with not much flying, we will only have saturday bcoz sunday, we have to leave early again.
Yeah, another problem is camping overnight with the trailers full of planes. We would need to find somewhere secure to park them.
damien is offline Find More Posts by damien

Quick Reply