logo
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by kwboost
United States, LA, Metairie
Joined May 2006
458 Posts
Were the high angle shots filmed from a quadrocopter?
kwboost is offline Find More Posts by kwboost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Sponsored by my wife & girls
United States, AL, Mountain Brook
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Hi guys.
Really interested in joining the sim events. Unfortunately my Realflight controller is broken. I'll update it in the next few weeks. How often are these on line sessions held?
Phil Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Phil Griffin
Old 06-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
Hi guys.
Really interested in joining the sim events. Unfortunately my Realflight controller is broken. I'll update it in the next few weeks. How often are these on line sessions held?

the 3DHS fanatics post into the thread on RCG whenever there's a session starting up... and they're pretty frequent, and if you start one yourself you just post in there, start it up and off you go.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Tks. Never done that before. What do I need to do the communications part?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
Not much to do. Just go under multilayer, click join session, and pick the one you want to join. Or under multiplayer, click host to start a session of your own. If you have a mix, plug it in before launching RF for it to work.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 06-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSIER_ROB View Post
Not much to do. Just go under multilayer, click join session, and pick the one you want to join. Or under multiplayer, click host to start a session of your own. If you have a mix, plug it in before launching RF for it to work.
Tks. When I manage to replace my RealFlight Tx I'll see if I can figure this out.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by Captain Awesome
IT Ninja
Joined Jun 2012
12 Posts
Yup, there wer some shots in my video that were filmed using a Cinestar 8 multi-rotor copter, with a Canon 7D mounted to a gimbal just underneath it. Here is a more copter-riffic video that I made a few weeks ago.

Cinestar 8 - Aerial Video (4 min 30 sec)
Captain Awesome is offline Find More Posts by Captain Awesome
Old 06-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Nice video. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Beginner Sport
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Question for you rolling harrier experts. I've been practicing it for about 2 months straight now, and I must say I'm pretty close but there are a few key elements I seem to be missing.

I went back and worked on my slow roll, 4 point,stir and rolling circles. I also have been watching bonedoc's vid over and over and he says to make sure to get those down before you can master the rolling harrier. I've been able to get the first 3 but have been having trouble synchronizing the last one properly (strange huh?)

Anyhow, I've been rolling and it seems as though regardless the way I roll (left or right) I seem to start doing rolling harrier circles in a counter clockwise direction (NOT what I wanted ). I wonder if its because I'm timing my elevator too early? However it seems as though if I time it any later I lose AOA and in turn lose altitude.

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping for some pointers from the experts.
djowtlaw is offline Find More Posts by djowtlaw
Last edited by djowtlaw; 07-01-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by theKM
needs more yaw authority
Central PA
Joined Oct 2008
1,748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djowtlaw View Post
Question for you rolling harrier experts. I've been practicing it for about 2 months straight now, and I must say I'm pretty close but there are a few key elements I seem to be missing.

I went back and worked on my slow roll, 4 point,stir and rolling circles. I also have been watching bonedoc's vid over and over and he says to make sure to get those down before you can master the rolling harrier. I've been able to get the first 3 but have been having trouble synchronizing the last one properly (strange huh?)

Anyhow, I've been rolling and it seems as though regardless the way I roll (left or right) I seem to start doing rolling harrier circles in a counter clockwise direction (NOT what I wanted ). I wonder if its because I'm timing my elevator too early? However it seems as though if I time it any later I lose AOA and in turn lose altitude.

Sorry for the long post but I'm hoping for some pointers from the experts.

can't say which one is being mis-timed without seeing you perform the maneuver... but if your circle is going to the left and you're rolling to the right, your timing is too early... if your circle is turning to the left and you're rolling left, your timing is too late...

...if you have enough throttle, and the plane isn't steep enough and losing height, then you need to increase the amount of input. if your input is plenty, then it's a throttle change that you need.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by nesikachad
Crashing sucks!
Sturgis, South Dakota
Joined Jun 2007
1,042 Posts
I came up with something that has really really helped me.

The "stir" was a biche for me to learn till I watered it down to a simple cadence:

for a clockwise Harrier Roll:

Left
Down
Right
Up

CClockwise:

Right
Down
Left
Up

Just call it in your head. Set your aileron rate to where your fingers can keep up. As you get better, dial in more aileron and pick up the pace.

If you can tolerate the spouse laughing at you, sit and watch TV as you do this with your transmitter. The idea is to build the basic muscle memory so that your not "thinking" about it. The basic mechanics is what your after. By watching the tube you will eventually take your mind off what your doing and it becomes a auto reflex.

Now get in the air and start fine tuning it.

WAY UP!

Hope this helps.

C.
nesikachad is offline Find More Posts by nesikachad
Old 07-02-2012, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by Scott Gerber
Joined Jun 2007
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesikachad View Post
I came up with something that has really really helped me.

The "stir" was a biche for me to learn till I watered it down to a simple cadence:

for a clockwise Harrier Roll:

Left
Down
Right
Up

CClockwise:

Right
Down
Left
Up

Just call it in your head. Set your aileron rate to where your fingers can keep up. As you get better, dial in more aileron and pick up the pace.

If you can tolerate the spouse laughing at you, sit and watch TV as you do this with your transmitter. The idea is to build the basic muscle memory so that your not "thinking" about it. The basic mechanics is what your after. By watching the tube you will eventually take your mind off what your doing and it becomes a auto reflex.

Now get in the air and start fine tuning it.

WAY UP!

Hope this helps.

C.
You been talkin' to Joe Smith...???

Scott
Scott Gerber is offline Find More Posts by Scott Gerber
Old 07-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Jun 2008
10,276 Posts
Making my right thumb go up & down, while making my left thumb go left & right was very very tough for me to get the hang of. After many months on the sim, I've finally gotten to where I can make those independant movements. However, as I think we all are aware, being able to make one thumb go one way, and the other go the other way is a long way from making rollers work. (At least for me) Just WHEN you're making these movements and the slight timing variations involved are the key to happy maneuvering. I think I understand the concept, but putting it into practice is another thing all together. On a good day, I can roll, but the plane pretty much goes where it pleases. Am I unhappy with this? not at all. I figure just to be able to roll at all is a major accomplishment, and the steering component will come with time.. Preaching to the choir here I know....
Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Griffin View Post
Making my right thumb go up & down, while making my left thumb go left & right was very very tough for me to get the hang of. After many months on the sim, I've finally gotten to where I can make those independant movements. However, as I think we all are aware, being able to make one thumb go one way, and the other go the other way is a long way from making rollers work. (At least for me) Just WHEN you're making these movements and the slight timing variations involved are the key to happy maneuvering. I think I understand the concept, but putting it into practice is another thing all together. On a good day, I can roll, but the plane pretty much goes where it pleases. Am I unhappy with this? not at all. I figure just to be able to roll at all is a major accomplishment, and the steering component will come with time.. Preaching to the choir here I know....
Simple test to see if you will ever be able to do it.
test 1) Pat your head with your right hand and rub your belly in a circle with your left hand. If you can do this you will be fine.

test 2) Sit down lift your right leg off the ground and do CCW circles with your leg (swing your leg around). Then take your right hand and hold it up and draw a figure 8 in the air. If you can do this you will be a master pilot.

OK you guys look silly doing this at work .
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by rcbobp
Have Fun And Fly
United States, FL, Naples
Joined Apr 2008
4,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
Simple test to see if you will ever be able to do it.
test 1) Pat your head with your right hand and rub your belly in a circle with your left hand. If you can do this you will be fine.

test 2) Sit down lift your right leg off the ground and do CCW circles with your leg (swing your leg around). Then take your right hand and hold it up and draw a figure 8 in the air. If you can do this you will be a master pilot.

OK you guys look silly doing this at work .
OK, I guess Rolling Harriers are out for me!
rcbobp is offline Find More Posts by rcbobp

Quick Reply