logo
Old 08-15-2020, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by RingoVarr
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Discussion
Engine Choice for 78" Seagull Edge 540 V2?

Hi all,

Will try to keep this brief. I'm returning to giant scale after several years hiatus, as I've come into the possession of a new airframe that this forum has already been so kind as to help me identify.

My last attempt I never got comfortable flying such large models, I let my anxiety get the better of me and so I struggled. I'm back now with a new attitude, but what little information I did learn years ago, is now very old. Hence my post here.

So, what is my best bet for a Seagull Edge 540 V2(78")? From my first attempt, I still have my DA50. I've read that folks have used larger gassers in planes of this size, but what are the tradeoffs? Are they worth it? Or should I find a smaller 30-35cc?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
RingoVarr is offline Find More Posts by RingoVarr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by Bcolici
Maximum Deflection
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2015
259 Posts
If these are the specs of the plane you are referring to i would chose a 35 cc. class engine.
There is also the new 38cc G.P. Engine that would be a good choice as well.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wing Span 77.5 in. 197 cm
Wing Area 1023 sq. in. 66 sq. dm
Fuselage Length 71 in. 179 cm
Approx. Flying Weight 10.6 - 13 lbs. 4.8 - 5.8 kg
Rec. Engine Size 2-Stroke 1.60 cu. in.
4-Stroke 1.80 cu. in.
Radio Req. 6 Channel w/ 6 digital servos

The DA 50 could work as i have seen a video recently with one installed on a 78 inch Extreme flight Extra.
Things to consider is cg and prop clearance , you could run a three blade for clearance.
For a 10 to 13 pound plane you don’t need the 50, most will probably say its to much for the airframe.
Welcome back!
Bcolici is offline Find More Posts by Bcolici
Last edited by Bcolici; 08-15-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcolici View Post
If these are the specs of the plane you are referring to i would chose a 35 cc. class engine.
There is also the new 38cc G.P. Engine that would be a good choice as well.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Wing Span 77.5 in. 197 cm
Wing Area 1023 sq. in. 66 sq. dm
Fuselage Length 71 in. 179 cm
Approx. Flying Weight 10.6 - 13 lbs. 4.8 - 5.8 kg
Rec. Engine Size 2-Stroke 1.60 cu. in.
4-Stroke 1.80 cu. in.
Radio Req. 6 Channel w/ 6 digital servos

Welcome back!
Those indeed are the specs. Thanks! I haven't heard of G.P. I will take a look now. My first impression was the DA50 would be too much as well, but wanted to get the expert opinions.

Thanks for the response!
Old 08-15-2020, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by Bcolici
Maximum Deflection
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2015
259 Posts
You’re welcome. Im no expert, lol,I just know a bit.
Im sure others will chime in with some recommendations.
Great Power(G.P) engines has become a popular engine.
Check out the threads in the engine forum.
Good luck!
Bcolici is offline Find More Posts by Bcolici
Old 08-15-2020, 07:23 PM
Find More Posts by Swampflier
Costa Rica, San José Province, San José
Joined Feb 2007
653 Posts
If the trend when you left was to overpower the aiRframes... that is worse now.... lol
For the specs and you coming back a 35-40 cc engine would do the trick... there are some 40cc twins that might tickle yournfancy
Swampflier is offline Find More Posts by Swampflier
Old 08-15-2020, 08:53 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoVarr View Post
Hi all,

Will try to keep this brief. I'm returning to giant scale after several years hiatus, as I've come into the possession of a new airframe that this forum has already been so kind as to help me identify.

My last attempt I never got comfortable flying such large models, I let my anxiety get the better of me and so I struggled. I'm back now with a new attitude, but what little information I did learn years ago, is now very old. Hence my post here.

So, what is my best bet for a Seagull Edge 540 V2(78")? From my first attempt, I still have my DA50. I've read that folks have used larger gassers in planes of this size, but what are the tradeoffs? Are they worth it? Or should I find a smaller 30-35cc?

If so, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
The 50cc Will give a higher wing Loading, Definable look at the DLE30/35 or The Da 35 or even the Gp38.

The Da50is over 350 Grams more weight than the Da35 and thats a bit of weight in a plane this size. and will make a Cg point harder to obtain without adding tail weight.

You want to keep this light and it will fly the best.

All any 30-35cc option that will give you a light flying model and more than enough power.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 08-15-2020, 09:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
The 50cc Will give a higher wing Loading, Definable look at the DLE30/35 or The Da 35 or even the Gp38.

The Da50is over 350 Grams more weight than the Da35 and thats a bit of weight in a plane this size. and will make a Cg point harder to obtain without adding tail weight.

You want to keep this light and it will fly the best.

All any 30-35cc option that will give you a light flying model and more than enough power.
Based on everybody's responses, the plan is definitely to pull the DA-50 out. I see that a DLE-35 can be had for $350, whereas the GP-38 as well as the DA-35 are closer to $500. Are the DLE's genuinely ok? Or should I splurge on the DA or GP? The DA at $490 is hard to swallow as that's about what I paid for my DA-50.

EDIT: Found one DLE-35 in stock on Amazon. I pulled the trigger. Hopefully that wasn't rash.
Last edited by RingoVarr; 08-15-2020 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:06 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
DLE's are great i have a few, And there is many happy modelers with them.

The GP's in terms of performance are ment to be great, Build quality seams in between DLE and DA. So very good, Not sure about longevity but i would suspect quite good as they use good parts and materials.

But i have a DLE30 that has a few hours and its been solid and its an old/Early built motor. The newer ones are much better in design and quality

I would not hesitate to go the DLE 30/35 Any of the DLE engines will serve you well and perform well for a very long time .
Last edited by The Hodge; 08-15-2020 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:16 PM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
DLE's are great i have a few, And there is many happy modelers with them.

The GP's in terms of performance are ment to be great, Build quality seams in between DLE and DA. So very good, Not sure about longevity but i would suspect quite good as they use good parts and materials.

But i have a DLE30 that has a few hours and its been solid and its an old/Early built motor. The newer ones are much better in design and quality

I would not hesitate to go the DLE 30/35 Any of the DLE engines will serve you well and perform well for a very long time .
I'm very glad to hear. Mine should be here by this week. I'll keep you all informed! May have a few more questions on how to best set this model up.
Last edited by RingoVarr; 08-16-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-15-2020, 11:23 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Sure no worries happy to help.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:46 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
While I have you all here then...

My TX is the IX12. I'm comfortable with all the sport rxes but have no idea on giant scale. What do you recommend?

As far as ignition and rx batteries go, 2 of these should be fine, right?

Lastly, I'm planning on reusing my servos and fuel tank from my first foray into giant scale. Is that ok, or will I need smaller? I would think the servos would be fine, but the tank I'm less certain of.
Last edited by RingoVarr; 08-16-2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,091 Posts
What servos did you use in your 50cc plane, and what lengths are the servo arms?

If you are just dipping your toes back in, and are not a proficient 3D flyer, shorter arms and less throw can make a difference in making it easier and less stressful to get back in.

As for the tank, it depends upon how old, and in what condition. Generally I put in a brand new tank and plumbing for a new build. Viton fuel line is highly recommended for the fuel clunk line as it doesn't harden over time like Tygon or dissolve like fake Tygon.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 08-16-2020, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
What servos did you use in your 50cc plane, and what lengths are the servo arms?

If you are just dipping your toes back in, and are not a proficient 3D flyer, shorter arms and less throw can make a difference in making it easier and less stressful to get back in.

As for the tank, it depends upon how old, and in what condition. Generally I put in a brand new tank and plumbing for a new build. Viton fuel line is highly recommended for the fuel clunk line as it doesn't harden over time like Tygon or dissolve like fake Tygon.
Let me get back to you on the servos. They're Hitec, but I'll need to take a look to see specifics.

The tank will be from 2012, barely used, but it sounds like it's best practice to go new. I want to give myself the best chance at success, so let's go that route. Viton fuel line, what size tank is good for 35cc 78"?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
A friend of mine has a DA35 in a 78” EF 300. Performance is okay but not exciting. Years ago I built a 77” H9 Extra 260 with a DA 50. It flew fine. I would go with a 50. Small to medium diameter is fine. Get a new tank. The water bottle tanks with metal fittings are nice. Batteries you want to double up on the receiver and use an IBEC.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 08-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by KenSue
United States, MS, Gulfport
Joined Jan 2011
1,371 Posts
14 ounce tank. And I would go with servos in the 300 oz/in range. If you have a HV receiver and if the ignition is HV (which it should be buying a new one). 2 pulse 2s lipos and a tech aero IBEC will probably be the most recommended here. But wait till you get some more ideas. Someone else may have a better set up idea for your taste.
KenSue is offline Find More Posts by KenSue

Quick Reply