logo
Old 02-17-2007, 01:14 AM
Find More Posts by blaiss
New Albany, Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
37 Posts
Greetings from Ohio

Hi all,

I've decided to make the leap into the giants.

I have a BVM/Xtreme Composites Edge 540 2X2 sitting in its box just waiting for space on the bench. I am still trying to decide between DA or a ZDZ power. As this is my first gasser, I'm sure to be posting many questions, and I look forward to everyone's help with the small details.

Thanks in advance!
blaiss is offline Find More Posts by blaiss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-17-2007, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by John Glezellis
Johnny Bravo
Boston
Joined Feb 2006
65 Posts
Re: Greetings from Ohio

Dear Blaiss,

Congrats on making the leap into giant-scale models.

Regarding the 2x2 Edge, you should have a blast with it; I have heard some great things about the model. However, regarding the engine choice, here is some food for thought.

The specs on your model claim that it should come anywhere between 10 to 14 lbs. If you are going to go gas, the DA 50 is the ultimate engine. Not only is it extremely reliable, but it is light and cosmetically beautiful. However, for this model, it will have extreme amounts of power. I have a DA 50 in a Great Planes Yak 54 (with a wing span of 81" and a dry weight of almost 15 lbs) and it hovers at about half throttle. If you choose this engine, just be careful, and make sure you use a lot of throttle management.

Or, you can opt to go glow. To save weight, you can use an engine like the OS 1.60. This will provide great power and a lighter wing loading for better flight characteristics.

Anyhow, hope this helps. Congrats again on your investment.

Best Regards,
JPG
John Glezellis is offline Find More Posts by John Glezellis
Old 02-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts

Welcome...

There are several IMAC pilots down your way... and a great contest is just down the road from you!!!
http://www.mini-iac.com/EditModule.a...er&ItemId=1777

Come on out for a great weekend of flying and big planes... there is always a good turn out there....
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 02-17-2007, 10:19 PM
Find More Posts by Boulder
It's official, thanks Verne...
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jan 2006
11,247 Posts

Hey Blaiss,

Great to have you join the crew!!

If you have questions, look around the threads, the answer might already be there, if not, ask away, the answer will come shortly. Check out the site, we have some of the best pics and vids of any site on the web. Our members are the best you will find anywhere, always willing to help and have some fun at the same time.

Welcome to the Giants!!!
Boulder is offline Find More Posts by Boulder

Quick Reply