logo
Old 04-19-2009, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts
Re: Pilot-RC 30% Yak

Are those batteries strapped in or just attached with velcro on the bottom? If so, thats a big mistake, they WILL come loose and bounce around in the fuse and possibly come loose, and then you know what happens next. Dont ask me how I know this....lol
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by greg e
Team No Flow Research
San Antonio TX
Joined Dec 2008
953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
Are those batteries strapped in or just attached with velcro on the bottom? If so, thats a big mistake, they WILL come loose and bounce around in the fuse and possibly come loose, and then you know what happens next. Dont ask me how I know this....lol
The parks and wildlife department is still woundering how all them fish Died in that lake
Lmfao. btw Mike they are changing up the canopy on the 260 to how the yaks is made and your canopy is 155. to get it here. let me know.
greg e is offline Find More Posts by greg e
Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by jdmilla
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
Not strapped but velcroed on the side and the bottom. Velcro is CA'd to the wood. I couldn't strap them along the side in their current location because of the wing seat. With velcro on the side and the bottom, I have a hard time getting them out and don't thing they are going to move, but I hear what you are saying. I actually need to move the flight pack back behind the wing tube to move the cg back a little and will strap it there.
jdmilla is offline Find More Posts by jdmilla
Old 04-19-2009, 12:31 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

"Learn From The Rookie Mistakes" Part II. I just got back from the field and the black rubber foamy thing does not hold up to the heat of the header pipe lol. It didn't burn but it didn't hold up either, so don't use it for insulation.

I put in a trim flight and was feeling pretty confident for the second flight. Nobody else was up and everyone was watching so I decided to inverted snap on takeoff about 15' off the ground. That went great, did a full throttle climbing roll, low inverted pass, climbing up to do a reverse immelman. About a 100' up, nose over, cut throttle, and no response from throttle. Full throttle half outside loop and my heart skipped a beat hoping I had enough room, which luckily I did. Thank the stars for the opto kill switch. Dead sticked without incident. Throttle servo just stopped working. I was using a small digital MG servo that probably didn't hold up to my unregulated K2 pack. So I will be installing a regulator this week. Live and learn and glad it wasn't crash 'n burn
Old 04-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Find More Posts by rons16
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2008
51 Posts

Does anyone remember how far the front of the engine mount is from the front of the firewall. My cowling is about 11 3/4 inches from the firewall. If I mount the front of the engine mount 5 3/4 inches from the firewall, that leaves about 6 inches from the engine mount to the front of the front of the cowling. I figure the DL50 on stock standoffs is 6 5/8s inches from back of standoffs to back of spinner hub. That would give me 5/8 of an inch clearance ????? Does this sound about right or am I missing something??

Thanks much - Ron
rons16 is offline Find More Posts by rons16
Old 04-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Yes that sounds right. I have 1-1/8" clearance of the spinner plate to the cowl. The distance from the firewall to the spinner plate is 12-7/8" and the distance from the firewall to the motor mount is about 6-1/4". So if you mount your motor mount 1/2" closer to the firewall than I did (5-3/4"), you should get 5/8" clearance from the cowl.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by rons16
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Joined Nov 2008
51 Posts

Danny,

With your engine mounted that way, how is your CG. Where did you mount your batteries?

Never mind, I just re-read this site and found where you mounted your batteries in the feul tank compartment with the CG at the back of the wing tube.

Thanks again - Ron
rons16 is offline Find More Posts by rons16
Last edited by rons16; 04-20-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 AM
Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Brazil, RS, Marau
Joined May 2006
58 Posts

Hello Over the Edge,
I just would like to share a video with you guys.
My Torch 60cc and the Pilot-RC 30% Yak seems to be a very good combo too.
Enjoy it.
Marcelo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_Nc3QoCvY
marcelo assis is offline Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Old 04-21-2009, 06:26 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rons16 View Post
Danny,

With your engine mounted that way, how is your CG. Where did you mount your batteries?

Never mind, I just re-read this site and found where you mounted your batteries in the feul tank compartment with the CG at the back of the wing tube.

Thanks again - Ron
My dry cg came out at the back of the tube, but the fuel weight pushes it a little forward. I am going to move the flight pack back a little to get the cg a little more aft. Your motor should be OK 1/2" behind where I mounted mine and then you can balance with the batteries.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo assis View Post
Hello Over the Edge,
I just would like to share a video with you guys.
My Torch 60cc and the Pilot-RC 30% Yak seems to be a very good combo too.
Enjoy it.
Marcelo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS_Nc3QoCvY
Voce fala portugues! Eu more na Brasil. You have great skill with those harriers! I really love the color scheme on your Yak and it's really good to know that it is no fault of the airplane that I cannot do those maneuvers yet
Old 04-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Brazil, RS, Marau
Joined May 2006
58 Posts

Hello Danny,
Yes I leave in Brazil. I speak Portuguese and English.
You can keep trying the Harriers this plane is very good to learn it.
Take care
Marcelo
marcelo assis is offline Find More Posts by marcelo assis
Old 04-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Ok I tried a new maneuver today. Line up a bunch of empty 2 liter bottles on the runway and wing slap 'em with a rolling harrier! NOT!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Find More Posts by OverTheEdge
Kewanee, IL. USA
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts

NICE!
Surely you have video of that?
OverTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OverTheEdge
Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM
Lakeland, FL
Joined Mar 2009
234 Posts

Ahem. Strange thing... the battery in the video camera just up and died. Funny how you can miss those precious moments without any warning.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Find More Posts by OverTheEdge
Kewanee, IL. USA
Joined Jul 2007
244 Posts

Yea.... I know what you mean.... Like this one time when I was doing rolling circles about 2 feet off the deck and I had these giant hoops that were on fire that I was flying through.... all this while drinking a diet pepsi and holding my radio behind my back.... I looked over to my buddy who was supposed to be running the camera but instead he was standing there just yakin on his cell phone! :22a: Some people! geesh!
OverTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OverTheEdge

Quick Reply