Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts
DW Juka vs. Yak

I'm in the market for a new foamy. I've had a Yak from DW and it was awesome, but now the Juka is out. So, for practicing 3D and IMAC would I like the Juka more or should I stick with the Yak?

Also, what do ya'll like to use for gluing the servos on? Last time I just used some foam safe CA to glue them on.

And of course, post any vids or pics!
ben_beyer is offline Find More Posts by ben_beyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Zeeb
Zeeb
United States, UT, St. George
Joined Feb 2006
5,517 Posts
Re: DW Juka vs. Yak

How much wind do you typically get down there in Texas?

Mike asked me early on about that as the Juka is not as fun in the wind, it doesn't handle it as well as the Yak. He also asked me about saying the Juka was more "foamiesque" in another thread. What I meant was that the Juka fly's more like you'd expect a foamy to fly, does 3D better than the Yak but is more twitchy. Mike also told me that I could cut the aileron counter balance area off the ailerons and glue it to the wing and it would do better in the wind. But you might as well just stick with the Yak if you're going to do that IMHO...

I like flying the Yak for IMAC practice and if the wind is blowing, the Juka is more fun to go out and screw around with if the wind is calm and I want to play like I know what I'm doing when it comes to 3D.

Short answer; you need BOTH!!!!

Oh, servo question; I've played around with that mounting issue a bit and decided on the 3M double sided tape like Mike sells with the complete foamie packages. Two things to keep in mind, you MUST get the HD or commercial grade tape which can be a bit hard to find (I wound up ordering it direct from 3M) and you need to scuff up the side of the servo with some ScotchBrite or something for the tape to stick on that slick surface.
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old 08-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

I am also thinking about the DW Yak as a first foamie. I can't bring myself to buy an overpriced flight sim to practice 3D or IMAC but I would like to be able to practice without loading everything up and heading to the field. What I'm wondering is, how is the performance of the full package? Will I want a more powerful motor and better servos or will the gear in the full package allow me to step out my door and have fun and practice. I have a bunch of 9 gram servos coming and I sure don't mind buying a motor but if the gear that comes with the full package is up to snuff that would be grreat.

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

Make sure your servos have strong arms. I lost my DW Yak when a servo arm snapped. I'm going to be using the JR Sport SM22 servos from now on. They're 9 grams and shouldn't add too much weight. I don't know about the motors DW carries, but you can get a Dualsky for a pretty good price. I may get both the Yak and the Juka. I'll put my Hacker A20-22L on one and a Dualsky 2830-12T (I think) on the other.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up on the servo arms, I'll keep it in mind. I've never messed with anything this small. I'm thinking about a park 400 size motor, but I must say I know totally nothing about lectrics. 1300mah LiPos I guess unless that would be to heavy. I want to get this stuff ordered up in the next day or two.

Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

1300's would work great. I recommend the FlightPower 1345 or 1200's or the Dualsky's 1300's. You don't want less than a 20C rating in my opinion. I highly recommend the JR Sport SM22 servos to. They center well, have strong arms, and are only a few dollars more than the Spektrum and Eflite servos. Hitec makes a cheap ($25-30 plus crystal) 5 channel RX that I use and it works good to. As far as motor and ESC go, just about any 20 amp (Eflite, GP, Hacker, Dualsky) should work fine and any motor capable of 200 watts. I recommend the Dualsky, Hacker, or Torque. I haven't really heard great things about the Eflite motors. You could also try the Mojo motors and ESC's, but I don't know anything about them.

Oh, and be sure to ask Mike (owner of DW) to include some pushrod material. I saw on their website this morning that they are going to be producing a bipe. I may have to get one of those and try it out instead of the Juka. I think I'm going to stick with the Yak just because it can handle the wind and I can practice IMAC with it to.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

Oh, and one last thing. You're going to need a good charger. I recommend the CellPro 4S from fmadirect.com. It's not too pricey and awesome to boot!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
3,260 Posts

I'm using the Mojo 8 gram servos in my Yak and they work great. No blowback even with extrememly fast rollers.

I have flown a Juka that was using the combo motor and ESC as well as the servos, and it flew great. On a TP 1350 mah pack, it did excellent. Hovers at about 1/2 throttle, and has plenety of vertical power. I really like that setup.

Mike made the combo pack to get you going fast, so you have as little setbacks as possible. So let's setup an equation here:

15 amp motor, 11.1v lipo: 15 x 11.1 = 166.5 watts. This is more than enough for awesome vertical performance, and hard core 3D flying.

Basically, you take the motor amps and multiply by battery voltage to get watts.

Also, you can use these numbers:

50 watts per lb. = very slow flying
100 watts per lb. = good aerobatic performance
150+ watts per lb. = great vertical climbs, and good 3D performance

Hope this helps with choosing a motor system

Also, FYI, a Park 400 from Eflite is a good choice on a 20 amp controller, and a 1320 TP pack. Good combo for pretty much every 14-16oz. 3D foamy.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Notorious B.E.N.
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Feb 2006
3,968 Posts

What are the servo arms like for the Mojo's?

I'm interested in trying them out since they're only $8.50/servo. I'm also interested in trying the Mojo motor out to.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

Hey thanks to both of you for all that info. Just what I was looking for. I can't wait to chuck one of these out my back door. By the way Kalteisen Inc just came out with a new SU 26 foamy that looks real good. Might have to check that out also. Again thanks for all the help.

Tom
Old 08-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Surrey, British Columbia
Joined Jun 2008
272 Posts

im running 230watts of power on my yak
paintball_kidz is offline Find More Posts by paintball_kidz
Old 08-25-2008, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by snap
el cajon
Joined May 2006
562 Posts

MONSTER POWER The skua is coming!
snap is offline Find More Posts by snap
Old 08-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts

yep the skua and the juka are going to be our top sellers this fall in my opinion
kim3D is offline Find More Posts by kim3D
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Find More Posts by mahak213
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2008
188 Posts

Your going to be extremely happy with either of them. I run mine with the eflite 400 and 20amp speedo and you just cant go wrong. Ive had nothing but good luck from thunderpower batteries as well.

Ive had 2 yaks and a juka and they both just fly awesome. Like everyone has said, the juka is 3D oriented and is probably the easiest hovering plane ive flown. They Yak is a great 3Der as well but you can fly all the IMAC sequences with total precision. Both have been GREAT learning tools for me and allowed me to get pretty good at 3D in a short time.

All i know is that as soon as i kill the plane im flying now, im am going to be all over the SKUA! It looks awesome!
mahak213 is offline Find More Posts by mahak213
Old 08-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
3,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_beyer View Post
What are the servo arms like for the Mojo's?

I'm interested in trying them out since they're only $8.50/servo. I'm also interested in trying the Mojo motor out to.
The servo arms have big holes, but are small in length. I have my D/R turned up to 125% on all surfaces, and it's more than enough for 3D.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..

Quick Reply