logo
Old 09-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Find More Posts by EagleMan
Joined May 2008
11 Posts
Mounting a Smart-Fly EQ-6

I did a search, and didn't find another thread on this- I have an EQ-6 that was involved in a rekitting crash of my 33% Extra 260. I have sent it off to be looked at by Smart-Fly, but I plan on re-installing it into a new Extra 260. Is anyone doing anything special when mounting a power system to isolate it from vibration, other than using the stock rubber grommets? Would appreciate any thoughts and pictures if possible.....thanks!
EagleMan is offline Find More Posts by EagleMan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-14-2008, 02:38 AM
Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
United States, FL, Lakeland
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts
Re: Mounting a Smart-Fly EQ-6

I dont have pics but here is what I did once.

Cut 2 pieces of 1/4 in hobby foam the shape of the expander base, use 5 min epoxy (light coat) and glue them together. Then glue the foam to where you want to mount the expander. Next get 4 squares (3/4 in sq) of 3m Dual Lock, Put one on each corner of the power expander and on each corner of the foam block. this will isolate vibs very well, also the dual lock will hold the expander about 1/8th of an inch off the foam so cool air can circulate around it, this method has never let me down. If you have thick foam already (1/2 in or so) just glue it down directly, no need to double the foam up as with 1/4 inch foam.

Good luck

Actually I have a pic of a fromeco regulator I mounted that way, check it out 3m dual lock is strong stuff. If you mount it flat i think that 1 square inch of dual lock has a holding strength of about 5 lbs, go even in High G manuvers a light weight power expander aint gonna come off still it is always a good idea to check it as part of your pre-flight inspection.
crash-n-burn is offline Find More Posts by crash-n-burn
Last edited by crash-n-burn; 09-14-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by EagleMan
Joined May 2008
11 Posts

Thanks for the tips- I think that's a great way to mount a power expander, and now that you've shown me a good way to mount regulators, I think I'll do that too!

Thanks Again.
EagleMan is offline Find More Posts by EagleMan
Old 09-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts

No prob bro, for anything mounted vertical like my reg in the pic just check periodically to make sure the dual lock is sticking to the foam as it should. But as i said I have not had any problems.

p.s. dont forget to tie your connectors (jr or futaba) together with some heavy thread or dental floss to ensure they wont come apart in the air. Very important stuff, here is what I mean sorry if you already know this. Its just easy crash insurance.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,090 Posts

hey just so you know you can buy 3M dual lock at Radio Shack. There is a generic brand out there that is not as good so just make sure it says 3M on the Tape.

Quick Reply