logo
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by andyjayh
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts
Re: Global RC MX2 50cc build

I've been away all week for work so not much been going on plus I am going away for the weekend, so not much building for me Tonight I thought I would takle one job at least.

Install of the Secraft fuel dot / dual switch assembly

The is not much model to actually attach bits like this too so I found a hole and made a plate up for the unit to mount too.

Covering cut

A123 cell mounted in probably final location but not properly

The switch / fuel dot unit from Secraft

Getting the wiring underway

Unit fitted, looking good

Wiring neatly installed
andyjayh is offline Find More Posts by andyjayh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by Christie
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2009
8 Posts

Hi Andy,

Nice Build, our GW planes should be in South Africa this week, and my name is on an MX2. Coincidentally, I've ordered some Power HD servo's as well. You think they'll be enough? Enjoy the rest of your build, I can't wait to start on mine.

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za
Christie is offline Find More Posts by Christie
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Hi Christie, I'm sure you will love this model It goes together really well and I have had no issues so far. Looking forward to getting it in the air. Just wish this work thing would stop getting in my way

I am sure the HD servos will be fine. Most of my 50cc models run JR8411's on ailerons and elevators and the HD servos are higher torque. So it is only the rudder that is less but I am sure 16kg will be enough. There are many threads on here with people using them with success so I am fairly confident
Old 09-16-2009, 05:48 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Been away a lot over the last couple of weeks so progress has been a bit slow However I did managed to get some time to finish off the wings, just need to buy another set of bags now.

The supplied turnbuckle arms are great, really liking how much easier it makes setting up the surface without using loads of subtrim

M4 bolts installed. The quality of the hardware is much imporved over the old kits in this area. I really didn't want to use them on the Sukhoi but these are really nice. The only problem I have is getting the whole lined up straight through the surface Would be a nice touch if these were pre-drilled to ensure the owners didn't screw this up or is that just me

Finished servo install. Had to use 2" arms as this was all that was in stock at the time of purchase and I couldn't wait

Hopefully will start the engine install in the next few days if I get time.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:00 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Got a bit of time today as I was actually at home and not working away from home for once So I took the engine out of the Sukhoi to get it mounted in the MX2 to find out how everything was going to fit together and what issue I might have.

First off the engine mounting is really easy, just like the Sukhoi. Hold the template in and drill the holes

Job done Went with the shorter DA standoffs for now

The canister is going to be a pain in the butt from the looks of this This is a header to fit an EF model which came out of my Compy 2x2. Need to shorten the header or push the can back in to the fuse. Trouble is I won't be able to use this MTW can then as this is already at the back of the tunnel. The drop is way off also, needs to be a lot deeper. Not sure yet how deep but I certainly don't have anything to fit here. New header and poss new can coming up

Fit of the standoffs is not bad looking at the spinner back plate but I will probably change out for some 60mm ones which are 4mm shorter than these

Old 09-17-2009, 04:03 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Bit of cowl cutting to let the DL50 out

This is going to be a pain also, getting to this bottom cowl screw is going to be impossible! I might have to get my Daughter with her little hands to get in here At least with the Yaks you get a bit of room with the cowl opening, not so with this one. Hopefully once some cooling holes cut I should be able to get in there.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Find More Posts by T3beatz
Build'em, Fly'em, Crash'em
St. Louis, Mo US
Joined Jan 2008
1,298 Posts

I had the same problem with the can on my 88" Extra 330L, these planes seem to come out of the same factory. Mine even came with the same box! Here is a link to my thread showing what I had to do to get the can to fit... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_84..._1/key_/tm.htm scroll down to post #3

I actually like it with the cowling screws from the outside its easier to take the cowl off to fix things. You can modify yours to have the screws on the outside like the ones in my pics also if you like to take the easy route. Just use some small wood blocks, epoxied to the firewall, with blind nuts on the back for the cowling and your done!

I had a Yak-54 that had the cowl ring in it and I hated it! it took me 15 mins just to get the cowl off at the field some times, I couldn't get my hand to the bottom two screws so I had to make a small hole by each screw so that I could fit a hex wrench in there to take them off.
T3beatz is offline Find More Posts by T3beatz
Old 09-18-2009, 03:46 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

That looks almost eactly the same as my Sukhoi SU26M I had from them also. This was the older design and these have been updated. The pipe tunnel is now a lot longer and the MTW can does fit unless I push it back in like you did. On the old design the only pipe I could find that would fit was a KS can.

The internal mounts for the cowling are a nice finish but a pain to get at I must say! I just hope I don't need to take the cowl off very often one finished
Old 09-18-2009, 08:48 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

As I am now waiting on bits once again to carry on with the engine install I thought I would put her together to motivate myself a little

Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Back at it again...
Joined Feb 2008
1,008 Posts

Looks Great !!!
SportFlyer is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Well, amazing service from Innovative-RC, ordered my 57mm standoffs via e-bay yesterday and they were delivered today

One point I noticed yesterday was that with the DA standoffs (64mm) everything fitted well against the f/w. So using shorter ones would mean the dremel was going to be used on the f/w
Here you can see that the carb is deaper then the standoffs

Bit of dremel action

All fitting back into the f/w

A better fit with the cowl now So for anyone thinking about one of these models and a DA/DL50, I would recommend the 57mm standoffs for a good cowl fit
Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Also fitted the ignition / charge switch today. Not much meat to play with for fitting switches so I used a switch mount that came with my Carden. Hacked it down a little to fit in the space

One switch nicely fitted
Old 09-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2009
8 Posts

Mine is arriving today, I feel like a 6 year old on Christmas Eve!!

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za
Old 09-24-2009, 02:41 AM
UK
Joined Aug 2006
114 Posts

Cool, get some pics up

Mine has slowed down a little due to waiting on parts but most are here now so going to have another push shortly.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Flyin' Around
Joined May 2009
8 Posts

I'll try and post a few pics, not much of a photographer though... She's standing on her wheels, will probably install the DLE tomorrow, then I'm just waiting for the servo's. Quality looks great. Landing Gear seems to be Fibreglass, very light. Had to shorten two of the Spat hold down bolts, I'm using all the hardware, since we are selling these kits, I'd not feel right about changing anything out. So far I'm very satisfied. Oh yeah, my tailwheel assembly went on without a hitch, 2mm holes, CA, and the screws went in without a prob.

Christie
www.flyfun.co.za

Christie.

Quick Reply