logo
Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts
Radial Comparison

What are the differences....pro's/con's if you will between the Moki and RCS radial engines? This is not in anyway meant to be a brand bashing thread so please leave it alone, I would prefer experienced responce from those who actually own or have owned one of these engines. I have always been intriuged by these motors and would love to own one for a project I'm dreaming up..one day. Thanks for your opinions ahead of time.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Find More Posts by MODE 1
Joined Jul 2008
4,715 Posts
Re: Radial Comparison

Hey Mike
I cant compare both engines because I only have a Moki 215 and dont know anyone else who has another where I live.
I can give you some specs if you like but that may be pointless since size and weight isnt really a huge factor with 5 cyl radials as they generally go into scale models where it doesn't matter so much. Mines in a scratched P47 at the mo and spins a 32 x 18 at 4k if memory serves. A 3 blade prop would be better suited but the "window" of safety for flipping the prop on 5 cylinders is much smaller than a 2 blade and I value my fingers too much to swap over.

Re pros and cons of this engine for me at least. Well it sounds like an engine for one thing being a 4 stroke and brings out the caveman in you when its flat out doing a low fly bye. One of the main reasons I bought mine really.

The cons are it costs a heck of a lot to buy and parts are not cheap either. Theres also a lot more parts to be serviced which can add up. Props are expensive as is the airframe needed to carry the lump. A crash is pretty much terminal for the engine if it happens unlike a lightweight 2 stroke you would have some of it left LOL.

I wouldn't say they are high maintenance but they do require a certain amount of TLC more frequently than your average 2 stroke does. Having said that, They wear very slow due to their slower running speed.

To be honest I cant see anyone buying this engine outside of a scale nut for any reason other than to show off. There are better engines out there with more than 13hp and a heck of a lot lighter than 11 pounds.
But they do sound awesome.

Dont think that was much use to you.....LOL sorry

Pete

Oh one more thing I should tell you.
Radials are not really that adaptable for as many different models as a 2 stroke twin / quad would be. By this i mean you have to choose the right model for the engine if you plan on building another one later. Like I said most of the model types are scale reps but sure you could fit out a Sukhoi or Yak with one, however you wouldn't be able to do all the things you did with a 2 cylinder 2 stroke equivalent. I guess what I'm saying is you have to like scale warbirds or similar if you want other models for the engine later on and that style of flying .......give or take to some degree.
MODE 1 is offline Find More Posts by MODE 1
Last edited by MODE 1; 05-28-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by forgues research
Canada
Joined Feb 2006
4,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC3D View Post
What are the differences....pro's/con's if you will between the Moki and RCS radial engines? This is not in anyway meant to be a brand bashing thread so please leave it alone, I would prefer experienced responce from those who actually own or have owned one of these engines. I have always been intriuged by these motors and would love to own one for a project I'm dreaming up..one day. Thanks for your opinions ahead of time.
RCS means RC showcase and they were importing the Moki's with their stickers on them, they never made any engines.

Roger
forgues research is offline Find More Posts by forgues research
Old 05-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by snap a saurus
United States, MA, Dighton
Joined Jan 2006
8,337 Posts

Mike, I think it's the same motor.
snap a saurus is offline Find More Posts by snap a saurus
Old 05-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by hcuellart
South Padre Island, TX
Joined Jul 2008
27 Posts

RCS are Moki engines as others have said...
Having those are just owning really cool sounding engines, but they do lack on power. Take a look on the Valach and there are several individuals selling their "homemade" engines which are a bit more powerful than the Mokis.
hcuellart is offline Find More Posts by hcuellart
Old 05-30-2010, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by 2walla
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Apr 2007
3,095 Posts

Hey Mike.. They are the same- just the importer is different. Getting the right prop on them is everything...I am taking the 250 on my fw190 and putting it in a 1/3 stearman. The 190 is getting a 100 twin as that is what I have laying on the bench.. My other 190 had a quadra 100 on it originaly and weighed about 5 lbs less than the radial equipped one. The top end speed between the two appeared about the same but the radial has more acceleration/thrust at low speeds and can yank the plane off in about 10 feet. The 100 takes a bit of runway to accelerate. The 250 if propped correctly has much more power- and torque from the high pitched props that you need to extract the HP from the motor. You just need to figure out how to get it. For practical use I would say the real performance including the weight penalty puts you on par with a 150 two stroke. Propping it correctly is the key... Realistically they are a pain in the butt to oil, tune, and maintain just to get that sound.... Hopefully I will get the stearman done this month, but I do have a couple of planes in front of it.. What is your project your thinking of? Lets hear it...
2walla is offline Find More Posts by 2walla
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Find More Posts by MikeC3D
Suspended Account
SanAntonio,TX
Joined Jun 2006
3,389 Posts

Oh, I really didnt know it was the same engine...thanks.
I figured as much it would be some what of a maintenance headache, but I'm ok with that simply because its cool. I am thinking about that fantasy R4 thingy possibly or scratching a 50%+ Pitts M12, or even possibly a old bipe or even a Corsair. Not really anything special or different, just an interest in the back of my mind. Honestly I'm getting somewhat bored with aerobatic stuff right now, not that I excel at it but its about all we see around here. Also I want something on floats one day just because....I like Stearmans, SE5a's, Sopwith Pup's and the like, so who know's what I'll do one day. Heck I even like the old raceing stuff and have been pondering a Wendell-Williams Red Lion racer.
Thanks for all of your imputs, and future ones its appreciated.
MikeC3D is offline Find More Posts by MikeC3D

Quick Reply